Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-07-2009, 01:42 AM   #15
Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could try one of these new composite trailers which might just be the ticket for you!
Evergreen Recreational Vehicles, LLC. - Manufacturer of Green eco-friendly Everlite RVs

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #16
My gosh some of you have turned ugly. I can buy a camping trailer for my Harley. Look around. Come to a bike rally and see how many people have pop-up trailers for their bikes. THEY BOUGHT A TRAILER TO FIT THEIR NEEDS.
They didn't need a 1 ton truck to pull it. As someone mentioned before, the industry has built many trailers that will pull just fine behind a variety vehicles that are out there safely.

Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:34 AM   #17

You know my first trailer was an 62 Apachi tent trailer. It didn't even have brakes or water and I towed it with an 86 Toyota pick up all over California. Our family of 5 was squeezed into a floor plan of about 6x6 and two beds. We always had to drive two cars because the pick up was just too small to fit everybody. We never had more fun or built better memories. Now, fast forward 20 years and I drive a Dodge 3500 diesel 4x4 dually with a 39 foot 4 slide 5er. Am I happier?... well, let's see. 90,000$ on 5er and 52,000$ for truck and insurance, $ for registration in California that's about 1200$ a year and, and, and, and,.... I worry about it. With the old tent trailer and Toyota I had, I didn't know what I was missing, happy, and it all was paid for and I never worried. Sure, I like a fireplace and dish washer and big screen TV, but is it really necessary to make great times and have lasting memories? Not at all. Buy the trailer your truck will tow safely. Love life and family, and make some lasting memories while you can. You are on your adventure called rving. I wish I were again in your shoes. It was the best of times!
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:38 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Mark...You will be able to find something that you can tow behind your truck. The trick is to make sure you do get one of the lighter weight trailers.

It may help if you also tell us what you are looking for in a trailer so some of the trailer folks can tell you what they have and then we can help match it to your truck. (How many does it need to sleep would be very important!) I know that we have a member (although I have not seen her online for awhile) that I can dig up some of her old posts from when she was looking for a trailer for her family - but I want to make sure that the members know what the trailer needs are for you & your family.

Please hang in here with us - I will admit that some of our members get a bit passionate with their thoughts and feelings - but they may only be right for their needs - that does not mean you cannot handle a trailer with your truck...it just means your truck cannot handle their trailer!

I'll be watching for your next post here...
*MonacoMama with the 2 Pins & SacsTC Nearby*
*2007 Monaco Diplomat 40' SFT<>2006 Chevy VortecMax Toad<>2006 Buick Lucerne Leading the Way*
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:56 AM   #19
South East Texas Area Leaders

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mark, We faced the same problem that you are facing and finally found a unit that fit our needs and fit our truck. My truck was and still is a Ford F-150 with the 4.6L V-8 with 3:55 rear end, we ended up with a Coachman Captiva Ultra lite. We purchased this unit in Ohio and live in Texas, therefore; we had the trip back to Texas. No problems towing it at all, we went thru KY, TN, LA.TX some big hills, etc. averaged right at 11 miles to the gallon. There were a few times that she grunted but not to bad. Since then we have upgraded to a 3/4 ton PU, but could if necessary tow with the 150. Keep looking there are quite a few nice units out there that will work for you. Good Luck in your search, keep us informed.
2008 Coachmen 288FKS-2000 F-250 4x4 V-10/
Fur Baby Lilbit and Diesel
Come grow old with me the best is yet to be TEXAS BOOMERS
MikenAmber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #20
Mark, We too started with a 1/2 ton TV and a small (25ft 4800#) trailer. It wasn't a lite as those were not manufactured yet. We did however buy a TV ( Nissan Titan Tow rated at 9400# 5.6 L V8, 3.73 ) to start. This is our only TV we have had. We now pull a 30ft TT with gross weitht of 7500#. Keep looking. Like many have said, there are many TT's out there that you can tow with your truck. When you select your TT, get a weight distribution hitch and sway control. The WD hitch will help with the smaler suspension of your truck. Happy camping and welcome to the Fourm.
2014 Wildwood 27RKSS 2004 Nissan Titan Pilot Steve
Co-Pilot Marlene Furry Four Leg children: Fancy Lab/Chow, LB Little Bit, Maltese, Rocky, Border Terrier
StStg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #21
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our first TT was a 30 ft Trail Lite and I pulled it with a 99 1500 GMC EC 4X4 with a 5.3 geared with a 3. 73 and never had any problems. I now have a 06 Chevy 2500 CC 4X4 Duramax and towing a Arctic Fox 33-5V that weighs 12,800 loaded. I got over 40 K miles on the fiver with no problems other that Goodyear tires giving problems on the fiver. I am looking for a new fiver and three dealers have tried to sell me a fiver with over a 16,000 GVW. Two of them said their brand was very well balanced and would give me no problems. I am looking for something smaller.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #22

One thing to keep in mind. When looking for a rig DO NOT LISTEN TO THE SALESMEN ABOUT WHAT YOUR TRUCK CAN TOW. They will tell you anything to make a sale. Look the numbers up yourself.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #23
Mark, welcome to irv2.com! Any vehicle will tow satisfactorily IF you stay within the vehicle manufacturers recommendations! The auto company has a lot of high-priced engineers and lawyers making sure those recommendations keep you from towing more than the vehicle will safely handle. Obtain actual scaled weight of your truck, loaded ready to go camping. Only use the trailer's GVW when calculating if your truck will tow it safely.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 AM   #24
Thank you for these many responses to my question. Many have been extreamly helpful, several have been very encouraging.

MonacoMama suggested I give a little more detail about us and what are needs are, so let me bore you with a few more details. RV'ing will be just the two of us. We like to go to the Southwest in the winter and have done so for the past 4 years. We have traveled in our PT Cruiser with the back seats pulled out and a mattress in the back. (works fine for us) When we get to our destination we buy a used RV with part of the deal being that it is delivered to our park. (where ever we decide that to be) We stay the winter and sell the RV before we leave. In 4 years we have never had to tow a vehicle, and in one case we made money on the RV purchase.

The PT Cruiser now has over 100K miles on it and its time to replace my '94 Chevy pickup that i've had over 12 years. This '09 Silverado is PERFECT for my needs! I'm retired and 8months of the year the biggest towing it will do is hauling my 14ft aluminum boat to the lakes. Towing a RV is just a bonus while we are out west.

This year, having the pickup with us, we thought we would again purchase an RV at our destination but buy something we could tow to do a little more site seeing. I would be very surprized if we actually tow the RV more than 500 miles, total. Because of our needs and manuverability, I am looking at something between 20 to 25 ft, self contained and light enough to tow with our existing pickup. I am NOT buying a pickup to fit the trailer, I am buying a trailer to fit my pickup.

We have traveled quite a bit and I have towed stuff in the past. I feel sorry for these poor souls that get on the highways towing a RV way more than they can pull. They barely make 50mph, the vehicle is out of balance and at hills they are on the side trying to make it up, actually being a hazzard to others. Because I want to tow safely and responsibly, I'd like as much input as possible before buying our next RV, given our existing pickup.

Again, I appreciate the positive information and ecouragment of the forum. If it turns out we can't find a RV to fit our needs we will simply buy another to be delivered and sell before we come back to Michigan. No problem
MarkinMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:10 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
MarkinMI, glad to see you back and looking. Every size truck has some limits. You just need to know the limits and shop accordingly. Even with my 1 ton dually, I have limits on what I can tow within ratings. We can not get a trailer as large as I would love to have, but I am not going to get a 4500 or 5500 series truck.

Hope that you get the perfect RV for y'all. But do not be surprised if you can't get it right on the first try. Most of us are on RV number ONE plus plus plus....

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:29 AM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
In the beginning, you asked what time it was, and many told you how to build a clock!

You have about 250 models you can choose from both new and used that fits you needs, meets your specifications and can be towed by your truck with ease. Have fun looking and buying!
2005 Safari Cheetah 38PDQ - 2009 Ford Flex
Me (Gatogonow), The Boss (DW), Honey Bunny, Maggie May and Mollie Kay (The Gatos)!
Jim Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:14 AM   #27
Power is not the big factor when it comes to safety and control. Lack of power can be PIA to you and others but doesn't affect stability and control much. Your decision to look at the lower 20' range is probably reasonable.
Good Luck.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #28
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
OK, I have been slammed by more than one person because of my comments to the OP about not having enough truck. So let me clarify things a bit more.
The OP bought himself a 1/2 ton 4X4 regular cab with a 4.8L gas motor and a 3.42 rear end ratio. He states his GCWR is 11,000 pounds. So assuming he loads his truck with a few personal items and it is not a strippo truck it will probably run across the scales with him/wife/girl friend at right around 5-5500 pounds. So if you subtract 5500 from 11000 you get a grand total of 5500 pounds. So I will be really generous and say he will have 6000 pounds left over. Which is exactly what he said up front. OK now lets suppose he can find himself a regular style trailer with the frontal area of a brick. Which is common to trailers. He goes out and loads it up to go camping and low and behold he heads into a 40 MPH head wind while going to his camp site. What will his max speed be with that 250 HP motor and economny gearing? Maybe 45 MPH? All the while he will be getting maybe 6 MPG. Think he will be happy with that sort of situation? I certainly would not. It is not rocket science. He needs to rethink what he wants to tow and how happy he might be getting 6MPG at a maximum speed of 45 MPH while towing. Now, if he was towing a small to medium sized tent trailer he could reasonably expect to travel at the posted speeds and achieve fair to good fuel economy. Now, if he had bought the same truck equipped with the 5.3L V8 and a 3.73 rear end, that would have been a totally different story. He didn't so I stand by my comments. The truck is not properly equipped or suited for towing a regular trailer like he was asking about!
this is very true and good for him to hear this.

Larry Barnhart is offline   Reply With Quote

evergreen, heartland