Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2014, 06:34 PM   #1

NEWB needing advice

Wife and I are retired and back to camping after 30+ years. I'm looking at an 06 Cougar 5th week 1/2 ton rated. The owner has been pull in it with a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton w/4.6 v8 but on flatlands. I have an 02 f150 Screw w/5.4 and my GVCW is 12,500 pounds. I live in sw Colorado and would like some constructive opinions on pulling it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
khodgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:01 PM   #2

You need to get your truck's weights, full of fuel and all passengers that you would carry when towing ( front and rear axle ), get the 5er's pin weight and compare that to the, available remaining weight on your rear axle.
Figure 200 LBS for a hitch, then I think you'll find that you'd overload the rear axle on the truck.
JMHO: 1/2 ton towable is a sales gimmick to draw in people who don't check weight ratings on their trucks.
Also check out the post ; Weight calculation and tow vehicle sizing ; in the; Trailers and Tow vehicles forum.
At 12,500 GCVW, with you truck loaded weight, subtracted, I think you'll find you have about 6,000 lbs. for a trailer.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:19 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club

Glad you're aboard. I agree with Skip. Enjoy your adventures and be safe.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Oh, jeez! You've just opened up a can of worms! Look out for the Internet Weight Police!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by khodgens View Post
Wife and I are retired and back to camping after 30+ years. I'm looking at an 06 Cougar 5th week 1/2 ton rated. The owner has been pull in it with a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton w/4.6 v8 but on flatlands. I have an 02 f150 Screw w/5.4 and my GVCW is 12,500 pounds. I live in sw Colorado and would like some constructive opinions on pulling it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I've never been able to get my head around those that are "looking at" anything. Are you trying to say you're thinking about buying one? Otherwise just looking at something doesn't quite get it for me.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #6

No we've made up our minds to buy one. I know there's several mid 2000 5th wheel units that are lite weight around 5K#'s. I've done the math and run all the numbers so I have a pretty good idea what my limits are. I was hoping to get some response form possible members here that are pulling 5vrs with a half ton. Thanks for the responses and I know the weight police will weigh in. That's fine I'm just happy I found this site!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #7

My experience is 11 yrs old, but should be relevant. You haven't stated any weigh #s for the Cougar, or axle ratio for the F150. My fiver was a 27ft Trail-lite, 5000 lbs dry weight, 950 lb pin weight and 6550 lbs GVWR. Full width aluminum underbelly made the trailer pretty aerodynamic, which the Cougar will not have. My truck was a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton 2wd, ECSB with the 5.3L and 3.73 axle ratio, also a 42 gal. in-bed fuel tank. My GCWR was 13,000 lbs. and I was barely under it and rear GAWR but slightly over the truck's GVWR.

This combo did work pretty well including at 9000 ft, but I did my best to avoid the steepest grades. At freeway speeds it would stay in OD on reasonably level roads. Obviously there was no reserve power, but I managed 11 mpg.

You need to get more specific on weights, what does your loaded truck weigh? What is the dry weight of the Cougar and how much gear, etc will you carry? You probably will exceed the truck's GVWR and maybe even the GCWR, but you need to verify that you won't exceed the rear GAWR. If the truck will primarily be used for towing and 2wd, for about $500 you can change the axle ratio to get better towing performance.

Good luck and happy trails.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:51 PM   #8

I pulled a 07 keystone cougar with a 2010 f150 5.4l and it held 2200 rpm in 5th gear at 65mph on flats. Your older truck won't have the 6 speed trans or as much hp but if you don't mind going slower up hills it should do just fine. I've since upgraded to a 13 f350 6.7l and it doesn't even know a camper is behind it, lol
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
I've never been able to get my head around those that are "looking at" anything. Are you trying to say you're thinking about buying one? Otherwise just looking at something doesn't quite get it for me.
Clearly that's exactly what looking at means, you wouldn't start a thread to ask someone how it would be pulling something you got zero intentions of buying now would you? Lol!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

Always err on the side of caution. I'm confident you could drag it on flat, smooth ground with lots of room to slow down; but up and down mountains in Colorado might be a different story. I plan to drag my 13k Alpine up some of those same Colorado mountains and chose a Chevy 3500 DRW Diesel. I hate being under powered. Best of luck with your decision and camping. Stay safe.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:45 PM   #11

Well bought the camper an 06 Cougar 245 efs in excellent condition. I'll have a companion hitch installed later this week and my P3 controller should be here Thursday. My truck has an add a leaf on the rear, HD transmission cooling package, an edge programmer with the towing program. After we get it home next week I'll evaluate if I need an e-fan. Thanks for all the advice. We look forward to getting out there again.

Tags
advice