Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM   #1

Newbee with question about toolkit and Interstate Speeds

Hi,

1)Just got a 2500 FWD GMC. Planning a shake down trip. Besides jumper cables, some screwdrivers and wrenches (and duck-tape). What else should I put in
the tool kit. Oh, I guess flares and reflectors as well???

2)Getting a 30 foot 5th wheel. (didn't want to pull a car behind). I'm in Arizona where speed limit is 75. Can I expect to to this with truck and trailer?
A few years ago I rented a class B and at the Interstate speed limit, it shook like a washing machine.

Maybe there should be a 'sticky' with a checklist for newbees?

Thanks,
BobL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2013, 04:16 PM   #2

Depending how handy you are and how much work you want to do in the broiling sun. I'm pretty handy but the first tool I buy is a "road service", by far also the cheapest tool.
75 mph with a trailer, you'll be flying. 60-62 is the "normal speed veterans" use and that's the speed we maintained on a 11,000 miles trip (over 3 months). The key thing to remember is that though you truck will have no problem maintaining it, your RV tires will not, particularly if you load the fifth to the max. Those tires are speed rated (something that you might have to "dig out"), but I doubt that very much that these would be speed rated at 75 mph.

hjs

Old 07-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Special Trailer, ST, tires are rated for 65mph. See Trailer Tire Facts - Discount Tire

there are other places where you will find similar information. This just showed up first in search.

HTH

Larry
Larry and Suzette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome! As for tools and such if you use the search feature you will find threads where this has been discussed and folks have shared their list of favs to have on-hand.

A credit card and emergency road service are among the top must haves.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:52 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz
Welcome! As for tools and such if you use the search feature you will find threads where this has been discussed and folks have shared their list of favs to have on-hand.

A credit card and emergency road service are among the top must haves.
Truth! I have the room for and capacity to carry more than I need or would probably use. I do this because ya never know who might need something - have the skills to use it - so I can offer assistance and tool support. Who knows - someone may be able to come to my aid if I have a tool.

Voltmeter is pretty much a given. Fuses and fuse puller - test lights - screw drivers - etch. Hack saw for PVC pipe. Basic tools you feel comfortable using at home for house items - plumbing - electric - wood.

As stated, search site for better lists.
Enjoy the journey.
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry and Suzette View Post
Special Trailer, ST, tires are rated for 65mph. See Trailer Tire Facts - Discount Tire

there are other places where you will find similar information. This just showed up first in search.

HTH

Larry
Totally agree, ST tires over 65 mph in the Arizona heat is a bad way to create unexpected activity on the road and require using the other tools.
dayle1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

You should also look into a torque wrench so you can check the wheel nuts on the trailer.
A small shovel for who knows what.
Carry a few extra bulbs for clearance and brake lights.
A small 12v air compressor could help with a low tire along the way.
I have always considered getting a can of the green tire gunk to fix a flat if need be, but I have not yet got one.
We have a full set of sockets and wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, vise grip pliers, allen wrenches.
Spare belt(s) for your pickup.
Soldering iron has come in handy a few times.
It was already mentioned but electrical testers, voltmeters.
Wire brush.
Electrical crimps, and a small amount of wire.

Hope this helps you out. Just remember all this stuff adds weight too, I guess that explains why we went to an F450.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:35 PM   #8

62 is my speed also. I traveled to Alaska and back to Florida and saw so many RVer's going much faster. They are just one step away from a very bad accident. Your truck can do the speed but you would never come close to stopping it in a situation. Take your time on vacation and smell the roses!!
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #9

Hi, I agree with what the others have posted to bring along. I would also include a spare fuel filter if your truck is diesel. Sometimes you can get a load of bad fuel or the filter can plug over time from debris in the fuel. I always carry two for my truck, I rotate them out as I change my filters every 10 k miles. I would also carry an air pressure gage for the tires I check mine every trip and every day when towing also an IR heat gun is nice to check tire temperatures at rest stops to insure they are not running to hot. I also check wheel bearing temps to on the trailer.

My tire temps run no more than 3 to 5 degs between each other on the same side temps can be as high as 110f if in the sun when towing. Start a baseline and than you will notice an issue if you change from these.

Jim W.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #10

If you want to run 70-75 you will need to upgrade your tires to 16" and run Michelin Ribs, GY G14's or Brridgestone Duravis R250's. You will just be asking fir trouble running ST tires over 65mph.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #11

All the above,
add in a couple of good Rechargeable flash lights, and maybe a hands free flash light for the head like a coal miner type a lot of different styles out there.
Emergency medical kit.
Also, check your Fire Extinguisher's, make sure you have them, keep up dated and re-charged.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #12

I generally run 5 mph under whatever the posted limit is - maxing out at 65 mph. Not so much because of tire issues, but wanting traffic to pass me by and not having to do alot of passing myself.

Your fuel consumption will increase tremendously as you get over 60, plus the tire issues mentioned above. Each truck/trailer combo is a bit different, so you'll have to find your own "sweet spot" for speed and economy.

I usually stop every hour or so and give the tires a temperature check. On my trip last week, the trailer tires were fairly cool. The truck rear tires I noticed were warmer, but not alarmingly so. I keep an eye on my pressure gauge on the info system. Starting at 80 psi cold, i peaked at 94 psi - a bit higher than I'm comfortable with. I'm about due for new tires, so I'll be looking for the highest load rating I can get for my truck and the wheels I have.

As far as what to carry, I also have Good Sam roadside and a tool kit dedicated to the RV. I basically keep a toolkit for each toy I have - speedboat, sailboat, tag-along, fifth wheel - in addition to having one for the house and the shop. If you depend on scavaging some tools from the house for a specific trip, you'll invariably forget something or when you return, to forget to put them back.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #13
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
If you want to run 70-75 you will need to upgrade your tires to 16" and run Michelin Ribs, GY G14's or Brridgestone Duravis R250's. You will just be asking fir trouble running ST tires over 65mph.
If you "upgrade" to LT type tires be sure they carry equal of higher load capacity rating. You may discover that you would also need to upsize (but do not have the space).
Changing trailer tires is not as easy as changing size of car tires.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:10 PM   #14

I am a Californian, and the towed vehicle speed limit here is 55 mph. That is my towing speed everywhere I go. A tire blowout is something you don't want to have with a large 5th wheel, especially at 65 mph. I have heard of rig damage from tire remains alone beginning at $2000 and going as high as $5000. Avoiding that is worth a penalty of 10 minutes per hour to me.
I was driving on I-80 West in Wyoming a couple of weeks ago at 55 mph, and had another 5th wheel pass me at about 65 mph. About 1/2 hour later I passed them pulled over to the side of the road with TWO blown right side trailer tires.