Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #1

Newbie - 5thwheel, a truck and a little car at one site?

Hello,

Thank you for having me here!

My husband, our friend and I plan to full time and I think the practical solution is a 5th wheel. We plan to move around a lot the first year or so but maybe settle in Colorado or Oregon later.

I can't imagine driving around in a 1-ton truck! Can we bring along a small car and keeping in nearby parking or somewhere at most RV camps? Or do we have to go with a motorized RV and a car?

Also, we are considering a Coachman Chaparral or a Cedar Creek - are we in the right direction?

Thanks so much!!!!!

PattyBas

PattyBas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2018, 06:06 PM   #2

Most of the parks we have been to have overflow parking. I really liked the Cedar Creek Hathaway Edition. They were all just too long for us.

cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:22 PM   #3

Oregon State Parks mostly have an overflow parking area or 7 bucks a night.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:05 PM   #4

If I needed a car to drive instead of my tow vehicle I would have a class A and pull a toad. Buy a fifth wheel that is towable by a SRW 3500 or 3/4 ton and it is no different than driving a pick up truck.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

I donít get it. Driving a dually feels no different after a couple days of driving. Youíll get used to it. My wife drives it daily too.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:28 PM   #6

If we weren't going to travel together I'd say we may as well save the 60k for a truck, 50-80k for 5ers, 8-10k for campground plus fuel, insurance, maintenance etc and simply do vacation rentals a couple weeks every month or so. You can't imagine riding in a 1 ton but can imagine riding in a class A?
Fl2GaScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Please check out the Outdoors RV fifth wheels before you settle on one. Well built and they stand behind their trailers.

We find parking for more than 1 tow vehicle a problem mostly at Calif State parks and most Federal (National Forest) campsites. Probably since most we visit were developed in the 50's and 60's when tent camping was the rule. Very short and narrow driveways as well. Maneuvering has been a challenge at some, due to the layout of the parks.

Our 1 ton superduty is no issue using it for touring.

Have fun looking!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fl2GaScotts View Post
If we weren't going to travel together I'd say we may as well save the 60k for a truck, 50-80k for 5ers, 8-10k for campground plus fuel, insurance, maintenance etc and simply do vacation rentals a couple weeks every month or so. You can't imagine riding in a 1 ton but can imagine riding in a class A?
Wow such a fast response! What a great community!
Thanks so much for the responses!

We currently have no home in the USA and are going to need to buy an RV to live in because I am just not going to set up another apartment just to pack it up again when we travel again for a long time.

I think that a Class A might be just the ticket. I can't imagine driving the truck - my husband would. You know most people say they are above average drivers when that can't be possible. I know I am a below average driver so I don't think it's a good idea for me to drive something so big. I can imagine a class A because I would only drive the toad.

I'm going to do more research. Do you know if RV Reviews.net is worth the money they charge for their reviews and books????

Thanks,
PattyBas
PattyBas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:01 PM   #9

Regardless of 5th wheel with truck or a MH with car.........

YOU should learn to drive BOTH set ups.

Emergencies happen. YOU may be pressed into having to drive so learn how.

During our travels we found MANY places only allowed ONE vehicle at camp site and did NOT have 'excess' parking areas
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
You can get a 5er with a garage and carry around a Chevy spark. CG can’t complain if it isn’t taking up space.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:19 PM   #11

We have a couple of full timer friends with FW's and the wife will follow in a car or van for a second vehicle to have. It works for them. Most CG's allow 2 vehicles along with a camper on site. You can always call the CG to check on specifics before booking or arriving.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 04:51 AM   #12

We tow with a full size semi (HDT) with a Smart car on the back we usually can fit all 3 on a site but if not we have never had a campground where we could not park the truck somewhere else out of the way. We also used to have a Cedar Creek and really liked the trailer and had great support from our dealer and the factory, we now have a River Stone Legacy which was spun off of Cedar Creek. Good luck on your choice.
dblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 05:20 AM   #13

If you can find a lighter 5th wheel I just test drove a gas powered Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with 4:11 gears (good gears to tow with) and it had 3,300 lbs cargo capacity. It also was quiet and refined as a daily driver.

You really need to go test drive trucks. They are not trucks of old. Trucks now are some of the most comfortable vehicles being built. A crew cab has a large back seat, one truck I looked you could recline the back seat a little. That is why they can sell a zillion a year, they are not crappy.

Another thought - a travel trailer that has 3 slides and looks like a 5th wheel inside. Several manufacturers build a triple slide travel trailer.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:41 AM   #14

Smile

Like Dblr we tow with a semi and carry a smart car. We have been full timing for 8 1/2 years and had only the semi for 2 years. My wife loves driving it.

Driving a second vehicle will get old in a hurry. When we started out we had a second car and that lasted drive 2 of them lasted one trip from MI. to TX. Driving a larger Pick up is no big deal just practice a bit.

Now about driving and towing. Everyone should be able to do it. In our travels we have seen it happen twice. The first guy said if she needs to drive I'll tell her what to do at that time. Didn't work well from his hospital bed when he had a heart attack.

The second one had a heart attack and died while the wife was out shopping.
Both were class A motor home and the ladies did not know how to drive them.

Lastly, BUY USED. There are lots of them out there and consignment lots are great. You don't really know what you want or need at this time because you have not lived in an RV yet so the first one will be replaced at some point.

Ask lots of questions and learn to drive the rig. Travel on.
Brad

Brad

bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, newbie