Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #1

Newbie looking for some insight ...

Well helloooo there all you travel junkies ...

I just joined this forum and I am just warning all of you in advance - I am new to the whole "forums" thing and also new to RVing and towing, but I would like nothing more than to get out there and enjoy this country like the rest of you have already. I'm jealous, but will travel someday.

Now, with that being said ... I have a couple of questions on "buying" a 5th wheel.

1) When you buy a 5th wheel, or any trailer for that matter ... does the dealer explain all that you need to know about operating it & maintaining it before you drive off - or do they assume you know it already?
2) is a 5th wheel safer than a ball hitched trailer?
3) When buying, do you think of trailer first [for total weight to be towed] or truck first [to know what trailer weight you CAN tow?

I am thinking about - no cash yet, so I'm bummed for sure - about buying a toy hauler for weekend and part time vacations. Would like a 14' garage though. I really like the Fuzion by keystone.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #2

I think most reputable dealers will give you a pretty straight deal, but there are dealers who will try to mislead you so you need to be armed with as much information as you can get about the unit you're interested in. A good salesperson should be able to spend time with you and help you become familiar with all the systems and technical aspects of an rv.
As far as which is safer, both are safe to tow as long as it's done properly. The
biggest reason for rv mishaps is driver error.
I think most rvers will tell you to agree on the rv first, then the tow vehicle. If you know how much rv you need to haul, it's easier to choose a tow vehicle to give you enough safety margin to tow it without being overloaded.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 PM   #3

I don't totally agree with you 87 about thinking rv first then tow vehicle, but that's ok.
I think, if I were in his shoes, assuming he has a tow vehicle, I'd check to see what it could handle easily. Being a newbie, he may find out he hates towing anything. If he likes it, he can always trade up. This is strictly my opinion only.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #4

I suppose it depends a lot on your budget. Normally, you would focus on getting a tow vehicle first. My advice would be to get one with the biggest payload if money is no object. That would probably be a late model 1 ton dually or bigger. Then you will have something (almost) ready to tow nearly any 5th wheel you might find. You might find a "package" deal where someone is selling truck and trailer together, that would be ideal if it's something you like. There are literally TONS of videos on youtube showing you just about anything you want to learn. Just search a subject in youtube and you'll probably find more info than you can absorb. Happy hunting!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:23 AM   #5

[QUOTE=road dogs;1725952] My advice would be to get one with the biggest payload if money is no object. That would probably be a late model 1 ton dually or bigger.

Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate the quick replies.

Now "Road Dogs" brought up anothing thing I was curious about. I have seen both tow vehicles around town - a 4 door chevy silverado in both dually version and non dually. Why is that? I also heard that the non dually version can tow more because it is a "lighter" truck and can then tow more - is that true?
Old 09-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #6

Each person's situation is different, so the best advice I can give you is what we did - a LOT of RESEARCH. Don't rely on the sales person to know what they're talking about or to sell you what YOU want; and don't rely on the dealer to show you everything you need to know about using and maintaining your rig.

We camped with a pop-up for several years, so we weren't entirely new at this. After researching different types of RVs - TT, 5er, Class C, Class A - we decided that a 5er would best meet our style. Then we researched what brand of 5er by using a guide that rates. After deciding on 4 brands we started looking at length and floor plans. After DW decided what we wanted we had it narrowed down to one model.

Knowing the specs of the 5er we were getting, I could determine the TV we needed. With a 5er the TV has to be able to both tow and haul - I say that because the TV has to have a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) that will be able to pull the combined weight of the TV and 5er, and must have a payload rating that will haul the combined weight of passengers, tools, fifth wheel hitch, and loaded 5er pin weight.

As to the SRW being able to tow more than the DRW - may be able to pull more, but should not be able to haul more. Look at the specs of the different trucks and you will see for yourself.

There is no replacement for having the knowledge - there are many out there who will try to blow smoke you-know-where, and many who think they know what they are talking about but really don't have a clue.

Jim
Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM   #7

[QUOTE=N2TheWild;1726350]
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
My advice would be to get one with the biggest payload if money is no object. That would probably be a late model 1 ton dually or bigger.

Thank you all for the info. I really appreciate the quick replies.

Now "Road Dogs" brought up anothing thing I was curious about. I have seen both tow vehicles around town - a 4 door chevy silverado in both dually version and non dually. Why is that? I also heard that the non dually version can tow more because it is a "lighter" truck and can then tow more - is that true?
N2TheWid; I will never ever tow with a dually truck for several reasons.
1. Most dually trucks cannot be parked in your 2 car garage therefore they sit-out side 24/7.
2. The truck is harder to drive in town and maneuver; look at the rear fender damage on them.
3. Higher maintenance on the truck compare to a single wheel rear truck.
4. I tow about 40% of the time with my truck the other 60% is spent driving around without any trailer attached.

Now with that being said you cannot exceed the vehicle maximum weight ratings so you will be limited to certain size trailers. To me this is not an issue and I chose a 5er to meet the truck towing capabilities. Some of the newer 1 ton SRW (single rear wheel) can tow up to 17,000 with a gross combined weight rating of 25,000 LBS which is more than the older 1 ton DRW (dual rear wheel) could tow.

So do your research and check all options that are available to you before you buy.

Jim W.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
jimcumminsw,
If you have not hauled with a dually, then you are missing out on a really enjoyable towing experience, with little to no white knuckle, puckerup situations. You sit back and have an enjoyable ride, and get to your destination relaxed and ready to go.
Saying the above, then comes the whichever fits the particular needs of the individual, and a cclb won't fit in your average garage either, single or dual.
Best advise is look at trailers(5ers) and find one that DW likes and that is within your budget, then get a truck that is big enough to handle the weight.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
jimcumminsw,
If you have not hauled with a dually, then you are missing out on a really enjoyable towing experience, with little to no white knuckle, puckerup situations. You sit back and have an enjoyable ride, and get to your destination relaxed and ready to go.
Saying the above, then comes the whichever fits the particular needs of the individual, and a cclb won't fit in your average garage either, single or dual.
Best advise is look at trailers(5ers) and find one that DW likes and that is within your budget, then get a truck that is big enough to handle the weight.
Frank

Why do you say that towing a 5er with a SRW truck would be a white knuckle experience??? I have never experience any towing issues with my 2008, 6.7L, 2500HD Ram Mega Cab when towing my 318SAB Cougar. As I stated in my first post the truck needs to be capable of towing the 5er that you tow, which my truck has this ability. I have towed with this combination for almost 20,000 miles now; since I bought the 2010 318SAB Cougar new so I feel that I do have some experience towing with this set-up. I do not pull some 15,000 to 17,000 GVW trailer; which would be over the capacity of the truck.

I set the tow/haul mode of the transmission, the exhaust brake to on position, the mirrors so I can see and the GPS to on and off we go. I have towed in the Rockies Mountains and I have towed over and thru the Appalachian Mountains with no issues. I just do not exceed the speed limits on the roadways normally I am at 60 to 65 MPH and if I go up in 5th gear than that is the highest gear I go down in.

Also my Mega cab fits in the garage with room to spare but a dually would not fit in the door opening of a standard two car garage door.

Jim W.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #10

I
"set the tow/haul mode of the transmission, the exhaust brake to on position, the mirrors so I can see and the GPS to on and off we go. I have towed in the Rockies Mountains and I have towed over and thru the Appalachian Mountains with no issues. I just do not exceed the speed limits on the roadways normally I am at 60 to 65 MPH and if I go up in 5th gear than that is the highest gear I go down in."

We agree with Jim. This is the way we travel, the only difference being we have a 3500 Dodge. Never any issues, and I can park it with easy for any shopping expeditions
montana4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
That might be with a properly sized truck, I was commenting on the statement about never having a dually. Getting hit with a stong wind gust that moves you is white knuckle, and with a dually, this situation is lessened dramatically. I am also a 60 to 65 mph, 68 is tops. A 9' wide garage door will accomadate a dually, it will be tight, but doable, rule of thumb is if the mirrors fit, the hips fit. There are more overloaded SWR trucks towing 5ers out there than there are ones that are within specs. I am not against a SWR vs DWR, I would rather someone get the properly sized TV for the job.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #12

Go to RV shows and dealers to get an idea of what you think you need. Get information on dry pin weight, dry trailer weight and the gross weight the fiver is capable of. Keep in mind that a loaded fiver can have 250 to 500 lbs or more added to dry pin weight. All this gives you an idea of what you need in a truck. A moderately large fiver will require a dually with diesel, but there are fivers that can be towed by a PROPERLY configured 1/2 ton; i.e. an F150 with Max Tow and HD Payload packages. For me, I knew I wanted an F150 vs a Super Duty because of my 70 mile daily commute and that constrained my choice of fivers. Then the DW's wants pushed the envelope a little. Were it not for the daily commute, I probably would have gone with a Super Duty, but my current set up works well for me. 11,000 miles of towing and no issues.
Point being, either find what you want in a fiver and size the truck for it, or get enough truck to where you are not constrained in your choices.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TheWild View Post
Well helloooo there all you travel junkies ...

I just joined this forum and I am just warning all of you in advance - I am new to the whole "forums" thing and also new to RVing and towing, but I would like nothing more than to get out there and enjoy this country like the rest of you have already. I'm jealous, but will travel someday.

Now, with that being said ... I have a couple of questions on "buying" a 5th wheel.

1) When you buy a 5th wheel, or any trailer for that matter ... does the dealer explain all that you need to know about operating it & maintaining it before you drive off - or do they assume you know it already?
2) is a 5th wheel safer than a ball hitched trailer?
3) When buying, do you think of trailer first [for total weight to be towed] or truck first [to know what trailer weight you CAN tow?

I am thinking about - no cash yet, so I'm bummed for sure - about buying a toy hauler for weekend and part time vacations. Would like a 14' garage though. I really like the Fuzion by keystone.
All is my opinion, of course.

With the 14' garage you are probably looking at the 399. 41' long and 18k gross. If you get any bells and whistles you are looking at about 15-15.5 empty.
I have Voltage, and to stay under I have to load for the trip. My unloaded weight of 11.6 tipped the scale at 14k (empty trailer),for full water, fuel and ATV I would be over my 16.5 gross (with out removing the un needed).
I do not know all or new but for 2011 Ford you are looking at a 350 dually or for a little more head room 450 (by the spec sheet).
We looked at what we were using it for, then the toys to be moved, then find what will work for what you need (trailer). Then we opened the wallet (bank helped ).
If you are not starting with the 41' but will get there buy a big truck now. You will not be sorry unless you have to park in a parking garage or your neighbors drive electric cars and will think you hate the planet.
Something with big trailers, a note, they are big (duhhh). Do not fit in all campgrounds (we have only been able to use the rear deck in the yard) go off road with your ATVs? Park at trail heads? Will the trailer go where you want?
If you are like many of us, you will end up changing trailers, tow vehicles, or both.
Good luck with your research.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #14

Toy haulers usually have unpredictable pin weight and therefore require duellies to tow them. Unless the full loaded garage the pin weight is to much for a SRW truck.
There might be some smaller unit available like Heartland has introduced today for small trucks. They are the hidden garage models with Patten pemding design.

Tags