Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2golf View Post
Hi - we have never RVed before. Looking at 6 months of RVing as snowbirds. We want to go off the beaten path a bit - so will move around rather than staying in one park the whole time. Looking at something like an Arctic Fox 29 footer with a Ford F250 or 350 diesel, SWR, 4 door, leather interior with all bells/whistles. Dually seems a little over the top for us. Looking at a 6 foot bed so truck can fit in the garage.

We will definitely be doing the west coast, through the mountains, and also to Midwest to visit family. Want well constructed vehicles that will last - we tend to keep our cars at least 10 years - and with the truck/5er we plan to do the same. Two adults, no kids, no pets, golf clubs and who knows what else we will want down the road?!

Where we are struggling is how to match the "numbers" from the tow vehicle and the 5er. Can we use the actual numbers (GVWR, hitch weight, etc) or do we need to buffer them a bit?

We do not own either vehicle yet - plan to purchase new. Trying to do as much researching before buying so that we don't make a major mistake and have to trade in after just a year or so.

We drove an F250 diesel Lariat and it seemed pretty nice. How would ride change with F350? Any other options we should be sure to include? omit?

Thanks in advance for your replies - we are learning a ton!

Diane and Paul
I have a Chevy 3500HD crew can 6.5 bed with duramax diesel. I haul a 37 ' Columbus @13,000 lbs more than enough power and you can't beat the ride or mileage

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi - we have never RVed before. Looking at 6 months of RVing as snowbirds. We want to go off the beaten path a bit - so will move around rather than staying in one park the whole time. Looking at something like an Arctic Fox 29 footer with a Ford F250 or 350 diesel, SWR, 4 door, leather interior with all bells/whistles. Dually seems a little over the top for us. Looking at a 6 foot bed so truck can fit in the garage.

We will definitely be doing the west coast, through the mountains, and also to Midwest to visit family. Want well constructed vehicles that will last - we tend to keep our cars at least 10 years - and with the truck/5er we plan to do the same. Two adults, no kids, no pets, golf clubs and who knows what else we will want down the road?!

Where we are struggling is how to match the "numbers" from the tow vehicle and the 5er. Can we use the actual numbers (GVWR, hitch weight, etc) or do we need to buffer them a bit?

We do not own either vehicle yet - plan to purchase new. Trying to do as much researching before buying so that we don't make a major mistake and have to trade in after just a year or so.

We drove an F250 diesel Lariat and it seemed pretty nice. How would ride change with F350? Any other options we should be sure to include? omit?

Thanks in advance for your replies - we are learning a ton!

Diane and Paul
Look at Chevy diesel, I bought new 3500HD LTZ SRW, put in B & W hitch and can haul up to 18,000 goose neck or 5er. Mileage just truck 21.2 running to Michigan last month. Get between 10 & 11 pulling 37' 13,000 Columbus. And I have all the bells and whistles including heated & cooled seats.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
CD

Quote:
We will go with f350 with 11500 gvwr. Want the 4x4 for snow. The super cab with 8 foot bed just barely fits in garage. Can not find one with the lariat plus package. I really want those heated seats!

Agree, the artic fox 29 will work. We would like to have some wiggle room just in case we want a little bigger floorplan...31 or so should be plenty for us.
I think you are a good candidate for a dually. You are already thinking bigger and I think you will be about maxed out with a SRW. I have a friend that had a 27" AF 5er that he towed with an F250 and he said he never felt good about it and sold it and got a smaller TT. We have a 28' TT (Nash forerunner to the AF). I towed it with a 3/4T dodge W/Cummins. Now have a dually and it handles much better (didn't know it until we got the dually). One thing to remember, the dually is only 7" wider on each side than the SRW so if you get too close with that you will be real close with a SRW. IMHO a long WB will handle better than a short WB but tis JMHO>

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #18

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Got2golf,
The F350 SWR might handle the 15,000#GVW trailer, but you will be over the trucks GVWR and over the rear GAWR with anything heavier, so if you want to give yourself flexibility, get the dually. Once you get used to it, you don't notice it, other than drive thrus, there are some you can't into. The difference in towing is huge and gives you a lot more options on which 5er you choose.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:26 AM   #19

You don't always need a duelly. I bought a 2013, 3500HD LTZ SRW & a B&W hitch. With 18" wheel its GVWR of 11,500 / with wife & myself 36 gal tank full we weigh 8,400 that gives me 3,100 of tongue weight. I pull a 5er that is 37' & about 13,000 loaded. Have no issues with sway, power, turning or backing. I could not ask for a better vehicle than that. Not a ford fan because of so many weight issues with the bigger 350, not to mention sme of the horror stories sme of my friends have gone through ( no Chevy owners)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #20

I pull my Columbus with a 2500 and have no issues. Pin weight is always the limiting factor on truck choice. The Artic Fox 29 should not be that high, so if you can get some numbers out there, we can comment on if it will be OK.

I'd also highly recommend getting a tri-glide air cushion setup. Makes the tow alot smoother.

Yes, bigger is always better, but often not necessary. A Kenworth Tractor is an awesome tow vehicle! You won't even know your pop-up was back there!

All trucks are pretty good these days. The one thing I see with the Fords is they tend to sag in the rear with a fiver attached. They are just more softly sprung than the Chevys and thus have a smoother ride. But you'll probably want to get air bags or timbrens to correct that. My Chevy has huge leaf springs and rides like a buck-board unloaded. But it rides level with the trailer attached.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Pin weight is always the limiting factor on truck choice.
Generally the case with SRW trucks because of their lower GVWRs and rear axle GAWRs - they will exceed their GVWRs before they reach their GCWRs. Pin weight is not so much of a limiting factor with the duallies.

With a 5th wheel, one must consider not just what the truck can PULL, but also what it can CARRY because it must bear the 5th wheel's substantial pin weight.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
With a 5th wheel, one must consider not just what the truck can PULL, but also what it can CARRY
One other thing not discussed as often as other specs is stopping power. Come off of a 7% grade that is miles long, and you always find a stop sign at the bottom of the hill. Ensure your new vehicle has ample stopping power for what you tow. JMHO

Jim Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags