Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #1

Newbie w/ slideout motor issue

Thanks in advance for the forum as well as any help and advice. I have a Power Gear Slide out motor that's shorting out. Power is good to motor but doesn't operate. When you ohm it directly, seems to be a direct short which is further indicated by sparks when you direct wire the motor. Here is the peculiar part, break does not release and if you remove the break from the motor, the motor works leading me to believe that is the problem

So the questions are: can the break mechanism be replaced or do you have to replace the entire unit? Where to buy? I have not had any luck with suggested sites from other post.

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes the brake is most probably the problem. You can replace just the brake. Call Fleetwood with your vin number and they will sell you the correct brake. The brakes for the levelers are different than the slide brakes or at least thats what FW told me. good luck and BTW, welcome to the forum.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:16 AM   #3

Elkhartjim, thanks for the reply. I have been told that Fleetwood has made changes and travel trailers are the red headed step child with them now and they no longer have any data base for TT, just RVs. I would think that since it is a Power Gear motor, they should be able to supply the brake, but the dealers are telling me that is not the case. Does anybody have any recent experience with this?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Give FW a call. You may be red headed and a step child but somehow I believe they will try to help you. They are having so many calls about Power Gear problems.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:56 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Falcon35
I had a motor go on a power gear slide out when I was in Elkhart IN and I called there 800 #. The wire to the brushes were broken and I thought I could get just brushes but had to buy the complete unit. (motor and gear drive) Our dealer here in Ontario has found someone to rebuild the motors but I have not needed an other one.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:00 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Trynlearn, I recently had a problem with my front slideout on 06 Allegro Bay. Nobody would sell me just parts, mine was a small gear. I had to buy the whole unit from Tiffin at $636.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:36 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can see a huge black market developing for Power Gear parts. I carry an inventory of Power Gear parts not only for my slides but my jacks. On my last "stock" order from Fleetwood, they had to back order one item and it took them almost tow weeks to receive the item. I can only imagine how long it would have taken if I had been in "anywhere" USA. That is why I carry my own invenetory for such an inferior product.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:08 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I will add to this,my 1999 Monaco Diplomat (Power Gear) slide out motor fried for some reason unknown. I searched web found some new ones "BUT" there $800.00 not sure I want to spend that right now. I talked to 2 of our local elec motor guy's,and they said they could rebuild it but cannot get the parts,because there not Power Gear dealers.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:57 PM   #9

I will give FW a call tomorrow. I will be surprised if they can get the brake alone since the rv dealers are all telling me it is only sold as a complete unit. Hopefully I am wrong.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just received my Power Gear "stock order" and I have a brake, wiring harness and boot for the motor. $57 (about).