Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Newcomer concerned about insects, vermin, & other critters in rural east TX 5thWheel.

So far I've had people tell me that they've had no problems with mice, scorpions, coyotes, and fire ants while others have told me that some or all of those critters made their rural fifth-wheel permanent living site miserable. (One even mentioned feral hogs.)

I've thought about getting an already trained mouser kitten from an area farmer in hopes of keeping out the mice etc. but I wondered if the cat would be vulnerable to coyote attack. (Or does a smart cat know how to keep wary and stay close to safe escape dens at night so coyotes can't get him?)

[Yes, I do plan to seal up whatever I can and renew spearmint oil repellents regularly. While farming in the rural midwest I found that keeping a few cats in the barn eliminated rats as well as mice because the baby rats never survive childhood. But in the Midwest we didn't have much of a coyote problem.]
PaulAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 06:38 PM   #2

Usually I see mouse problems. Once bees.
If the cat is dumb, it'll get eaten. Get a smart cat.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

>If the cat is dumb, it'll get eaten. Get a smart cat.

Good idea. Now if I can just figure out how to structure the job interview. :-)
Old 09-28-2013, 10:03 PM   #4

Have a coyote with you during the interview haha
Old 09-29-2013, 02:46 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

Good luck with any vermin/insect problems. I do not think these are limited to RVs.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #6

It won't keep coyotes away, but I've seen people who hang pet flea collars inside their fridge, heater, water heaters bays etc to keep spiders and other insects out. We haven't tried it, critters haven't been a problem where we're at...so far. Cats? There's an endless supply so just keep rotating them until you find the smart one.....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #7

I used to put a cap full of hot pepper powder under a tin can beneath my front yard bushes and it seemed to eliminate urine damage from neighborhood dogs "burning" my vegetative landscaping. Has anyone used it successfully against coyotes?
Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Usually I see mouse problems. Once bees.
If the cat is dumb, it'll get eaten. Get a smart cat.
Get a smart cat, now that was funny..
Old 09-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAllen View Post
>If the cat is dumb, it'll get eaten. Get a smart cat.

Good idea. Now if I can just figure out how to structure the job interview. :-)

No worries ... the cat will structure the interview anyway he/she sees fit.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #10

We leave 2 Airstream campers at our deer lease. Infested with mice this year. Get a cat... maybe a small family of cats. And don't leave food or bar soap in there. We learned that bar soap has fat/ oil on it and mice love to eat it.
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
No worries ... the cat will structure the interview anyway he/she sees fit.
In fact he/she will probably take a message and get back to you when he/she sees fit.

My wifes cat has this down to a T. Look at that face...

Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy cat View Post
We learned that bar soap has fat/ oil on it and mice love to eat it.
I've heard claims that many electrical cords have coatings made from peanut oil and thereby attract rodents. I've not investigated that but I tend toward code-compliant metal conduit anywhere such exposure is at issue. (And even though rat's teeth can dispatch steel if they so wish, rodents usually don't so wish.)

[By the way, does anyone happen to know if Texas allows property owners to run their own underground steel conduit? I've lived in jurisdictions where everything must be done by a licensed individuals and others where there are special DIY exemptions for property owners. (But the exemptions and less strict coding evaporates if a licensed electrician in any way assists, believe it or not. Yes, I dealt with that in State of Washington.) I assume State of Texas is more lax than most, based on the atrocious wiring I've often found here, especially in west Texas rentals. (No GFIs in bathrooms, for example, and lots of electrical wall plates which look like they are grounded but aren't!)]
FT'er,38' 5W/ToyHauler but no toys; rural eastern Texas 140mi.from Houston coastline.[On-grid gray/black-water code-compliant.] Interested in feedback re: climate/mold issues, vermin/pests/coyotes, energy-conservation tech & experiments, passive solar, RV security.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #13

If you're not in an incorporated town, I think you can do whatever. As far as I know anyway.

I live in a rental house, ~50s, no GFCIs or grounds, but that's cause it's old.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #14

I live in Texas. Outside the city limits, anything goes. My "electrician" ran wires to our boathouse in regular conduit, not metal
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh