Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 04:32 PM   #1

Newmar 5th Wheel

Someone recommended Newmar as a quality coach. Research shows they stopped making 5th wheels around 2012. Does anyone know why? Did they have quality control issues in the last models manufactured 2011-2012? Any information is appreciated.

Paul
paulstravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 04:52 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nope, no quality control issues, just low volume of sales AFAIK. Very expensive and heavy plus they wanted to concentrate on MH's. We've had two DSDP"s and were very satisfied with their construction.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:40 PM   #3

Only 1 luxury 5th wheel builder survived the recession, Mobile Suites, and they are still going strong. Newmar is built along the same lines as Mobile Suites. They are built to a standard that will probably out last a couple Cardinals or Montanas, but like the MS they are heavy so get a good stout truck to tow with.

I love my MS. It's 11 years old now and has held up very well. Don't get me wrong. it has to be maintained but it's better now than my Cardinal was after 3 years. Just my opinion but it's based on owning both a luxury level and a weekender type 5th wheel.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Welcome,
Like Mr D said they are nice units. If you came across a tidy one in your budget range I wouldn't hesitate to leverage a deal based on that fact. I feel sure they would stand behind the products. As you've probably noted you can still d-load the brochures from their site.

BTW: Mobile Suites are one of several product lines manufactured by DRV Suites (formerly Doubletree). They are mainly production line but do custom requests.
New Horizons, Space Craft, Augusta RV, are other limited production semi custom coaches that may interest you.

Good luck.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #5

Yes sir, you are correct. They make three levels of 5th wheels I think, an elite, a mobile and one other I can't recall the name of. I'm almost certain they are now owned by Thor. Seems like Thor bought them about two years ago. I saw one similar to mine at the RV show in Fort Myers and it was MSRP like 125,000 dollars. That's just crazy for a trailer. I sure wouldn't pay that but I wouldn't buy any of them new. Way too many very good units on the market at half price and all the factory short comings are corrected. Back to the OPs question, I would not hesitate to buy a used Newmar.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I am still using a 1999 American Star fifth wheel and have not had but one somewhat major repair other than normal maintenance. I had to have all of the suspension parts replaces and some new brackets welded on the frame due to holes wearing oval. I think this is the quality you are getting with a Newmar product.
Old 07-09-2016, 01:56 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the replies and endorsement of Newmar. We would like to pick up a used unit, no more than five years old but that is proving difficult. We conducted a nationwide search for units from New Horizons, Space Craft or Augusta RV and found zero! Found several MS's but the asking prices are nearly as much as a new one year old suite. Did check on one Newmar but did not care for the floor plan or condition.

We have a six month window to find what we want and are not in a rush so will just wait until the right unit comes up. Thanks again for your information.

Paul
Old 07-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #8

As with any used unit check for water intrusion. They will rot.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:10 PM   #9

Check out the Nu-Wa inventory at www.kansasrvcenter.com - Nu-Wa built a quality full-timers rig until about 2013. They will have quite a few units available. When they get one in on trade, they refurbish it. They are the former Nu-Wa factory and retained many of the production employees.

Bob & Karen Tipton
2011 NuWa Hitchhiker 31.5 UKTG
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 CTD
Full-Time since September 2014
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:16 AM   #10

As per Newmar "it was time for a update to the line"(wider body etc etc) ,and they judged it was too expensive for the return on investment.
Look at the cost per square ft in comparison to a class A.
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulstravels View Post
Thanks to all for the replies and endorsement of Newmar. We would like to pick up a used unit, no more than five years old but that is proving difficult. We conducted a nationwide search for units from New Horizons, Space Craft or Augusta RV and found zero! Found several MS's but the asking prices are nearly as much as a new one year old suite. Did check on one Newmar but did not care for the floor plan or condition.

We have a six month window to find what we want and are not in a rush so will just wait until the right unit comes up. Thanks again for your information.

Paul
How wide is your search?
It took me 2 years and I still ran across mine looking for a MS,it was in Barrie ontario Canada ,3 years old but never sold.
Look all over north america as your dollar goes 25% farther outside the U.S.
Gregg in alberta (rv haulers) had a mountain aire for sale a while ago.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:07 AM   #12

Go to craigs list and check around the country. I dont know what your budget is but ive seen some prices that look pretty good. MS are over 100,000 new so a half price unit is around 50k. Check in florida. Lots of units there. Also check the ATL craigs. There was an 11 on there at 41k asking a couple weeks back. Keep looking. Also i would say that a well maintained 10 year old MS would be fine. Mine was 10 last year and we did ATL to san diago nirth to Oregon and back to ATL. with no RV problems. You should be able to buy a 10 yo model fir 25k or so. Good luck.

On edit: I just checked and there is a 2011 on the ATL craigs with no price listed. It may be the one that was on there for 41K and they took the price off and relisted. Worth a phone call to ask, that would be a very good price. There is also a Cypress for 20K or so and if you want to do some work there is a Teton that needs some water damage repair for 10K. And there are 3 or 4 more suites at market prices.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:00 PM   #13

This is why this site is so helpful, so many knowledgeable people providing incite.

Hone eagle, ran an RVTrader nationwide search that probably only covers the continental US. Have no issue buying from Canada just not sure what site to look on. Tried a version of RVTrader Canada and it was not very user friendly.

Stanleyz, always wondered how to run a nationwide search on Craigslist, finally figured out how to do it. The MS's listed in Atlanta is $62,000, might be the same one you saw but it is now at a dealers lot. I did find a bunch of MS's listed country wide, most are dealers but they are all good leads.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Paul

Old 07-10-2016, 08:15 PM   #14

http://rvhaulers.ca/wp_car_dealer/

dont do this link thing often here ,hope it works

Tags
5th wheel, newmar