Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ozone Generator

Sharing a post (below) from another thread with a similar "scent"

Of course smoke smell CAN be removed...but you have to do a complete job or odors will linger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
High doses of ozone will remove odors sometimes permanently.

Here is a machine I use to make the basement smell good again whenever it needs it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ozone Gen.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	64135

Not for use while anything living is in the coach! Treat with ozone overnight or a few hours at least, then air out for 30 minutes - done. Smells gone.

Treat again as needed.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2014, 11:28 AM   #16

Awesome is a good cleaner but not a deodorizer. Anytime you use awesome don't let it run down below whatever you are cleaning. It will clean the yellowing of plastic parts on the outside but don't let it run down the sides of the rv, it will cause marks that never come off. I always use it diluted but tape paper towels underneath.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 PM   #17

Have never had confirmed results in an RV (doing it now to mine, we'll see how it works) but have had many successes in home and automotives.

For the yellow film covering everything I've found two options that are decently priced and highly effective.
1. Regular vinegar mixed with water and a heavy duty sponge. Most people say mix vinegar 1 part to 10 parts water, but I always use a little more vinegar.
2. Mr. Clean Magic Erasers also work very well but are a little more expensive. No experience with the off-brand Magic Erasers.

For the fabrics:
Rent, borrow, or buy a steam cleaner. Not a piece of junk Rug Doctor, I've seen many 150-200 units that clean better than those. No, you want an actual heated carpet steam cleaner. Don't bother with the fancy detergents, yet again, simple vinegar and water. I won't say the vinegar won't damage any seals since I don't know what they're all made of, but I've never heard of or seen any seals/bladders damaged by the vinegar. (Side note: do not use bleach, that can/will damage seals)

For the odor.
Get a few gallons of vinegar (I am using about 1.5GL in my 31Ft) and a few bowls. (I always use glass because that's what was recommended to me but I can't recall the reason why.) Pour the vinegar into the bowls and make sure there are plenty throughout the camper. Let it sit for at least 24 hours in hot weather. The vinegar smell will linger for a couple days but goes away very quickly and I've never had any odor come back. Used this for smoke smell, in an old apartment for pet odors (previous renter's cat was always in the vents - should have had them cleaned but... well, I rented from my folks so what can you expect), dead animal in an old HDT (animal removed, ducts cleaned), and more with great success.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:53 AM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can clean it with any of the above suggestions, and I have always used Bounce dryer sheets to get rid of odors. Just set them around on the floor when you store it, or clothes pin them to hangers and suspend to clear the smells in the air.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #19

I worked on corporate aircraft for over 35 years and back in the day when people smoked on the aircraft we used rubbing alcohol. But, wear gloves the nicotine on the rag will be absorbed thru your skin and you will get a high like smoking. Cheap, odorless and easy.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM   #20

If you are sensitive to the smell....forget it! Even if you do all of the above, you will always believe you smell it.

If it is that good of a deal, can you clean it and flip it?? Next owner may never expect it was smoked in.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM   #21

Bought a truck that was apparently team driven by two smokers and converted it to RV puller.

Cleaned it, aired it, 8 years later, it still stinks. Others have dealt with trucks like that "successfully". How? Stripped the entire interior to bare steel walls, scrubbed the nicotine off the steel walls, junked the saturated insulation and replaced it. Removed and cleaned behind the dashboard. Removed air vents and air ducts and saturation cleaned those. This is the primary area of stench and you know it every time you turn the heat on, not so much with air conditioning.
Haven't tried an ozonator, don't have time or inclination to go through the complete "strip off" and I'm not allergic to it. It just stinks, still.

My old man was a two packer, liked no filter Winstons. Lung cancer killed him at 55. Filthy habit.
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 AM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Thanks for all the advice we chose not to buy it.
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:30 AM   #23

we used scrubbing bubbles all porpoise cleaner and scrubbed everything. Then aired it out for two days then used lemons cut in half for a day and at the end of the week it was like new .
Old 07-01-2014, 09:19 AM   #24

Mix TSP in a bucket with water. Scrub... Just follow the directions on box. Works great!
FTAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #25

For some reason smokers still think its acceptable to smoke indoors. Its a putrid, disgusting smell, you'll never get rid of the it. Run!!! The market is saturated with RVs, you should have no trouble finding something you like.
yolo2rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
Thanks for all the advice we chose not to buy it.
Good idea. If it was that easy it would have been done before putting it on the market. The original owner probably died young due to smoking and that is why it is on the market
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote