Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Nicotine

How do u remove nicotine from walls and ceiling of an RV , a dealer has a 2008 Big Horn and he's wanting to sell it to me for $11k difference and our rig, but this Big Horn is saturated with nicotine smell and everything inside is yellow. Any advice on purchasing this rig or removing the cig smell and stain?
Vetl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:04 PM   #2

Odd that he is even showing the unit, in that condition. Could be he's tried to clean it and can't.

Worst part would be the ceiling , what material is on the ceiling.
If there is a fabric material, particularly if it has a padded backing the smell may never come out.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
That's why we are leery of it, other then the stains and smell the Big Horn looks pretty good , he has a Greystone that's really sharp but it's on consignment and they want 29k for that one it's a 2012.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'd walk. Unless you're willing to gut it & start over, the smell/stains are not only on the surface, but in any upholstery/carpeting, fiberboard, cabinets,appliances...just permeated everywhere. The only company I know of that can "make it like it never happened" is Servpro.

The S&B neighbors (beside my parent's house) were chain smokers for 40+ years. The new owners took it down to the studs & floor joists because everything reeked of smoke & was yellowed. No way to rid the smell otherwise.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:32 PM   #5

Run
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No need to run away...
If you like the price - you can do the work or pay to have the cigarette smell removed.

To pay - find a company like Servpro to do smoke remediation.

To do the work yourself...The Mrs and I did it in our 37' Class A.

1. Air out the RV's interior.
2. Remove any "stuff" that you don't care to keep (or you need to clean it).
3. Air it out.
4. Using a mild detergent/water mix clean all the hard surfaces (it's gonna be AMAZING how nasty the sponge/towel will get with the smoke residue). Change the soap mix often. Don't forget the AirCon grills and interior of the air handler (furnace was not a problem for us). This only took us the better part of 1 day.
5. Air it out.
6. Rent a steam cleaner for the fabric surfaces/carpet. Cushions and such can be done outside the rig. Our ceiling is not fabric, so we were lucky there, but fabric ceilings can be done.
7. Air it out.
-That's it for labor-

For residual air quality there are 2 things you can do - the expensive way (but not really too bad) or the cheap way:

Expensive - rent an Ozone generator from an equipment rental. They are often used for damp basements and flood clean-up. Place it in the RV and let it run. It will attract/consume the odors using Ionic charge.

Cheap - LOTS of Orange peels (with all the white stuff attached) in paper plates, placed all over the RV with the windows and doors closed. Peel the oranges and use the fruit for drinks or salad - whatever. DO NOT juice the oranges to keep the white layer of the peel. Close-up the RV and let it cook for 2-5 days. This really works!!!

Our RV was over $20,000 below comparable sales because of this...And, Yes it works!

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I would pass.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #8

I am sensitive to cigarette smells. If it's as saturated as you say I would pass. No thanks, but talk them down in price if you are sold on it... I was a custom home builder for many years and often was called to remediate smells either from urine or cigarette smoke. I always took the carpet and padding out but more often then not the plaster or sheet rock was saturated requiring tear out down to the studs. It's a ton of work and costly too. I tried everything I could think of to save re rocking the entire house. I painted all walls with Bins shellak primer, I used chemicals, sprays, vinegar, and biocides even home remedies It never worked. I always had to call in the sheet rock guys, and in the cases of urine, removal of beautiful hard wood floors and the paper underneath. Tile and underlayment also. What a waste.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Anyone ever tried Awesome , u can get it at Dollar General.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetl82 View Post
Anyone ever tried Awesome , u can get it at Dollar General.
Yes! The Mrs. found it at the Dollar Store, and it is....AWESOME!

She recommends it to everyone now.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #11

RVs don't have sheetrock - and a lot less carpet than a house.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 10:04 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We were told the woodwork in the Davenport Hotel in Spokane, WA was scrubbed with simple green to remove the discoloration and smell from years of tobacco smoke.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:53 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Another way to remove the smells are to use vanilla. We used them in police cars when a prisoner threw up or did something else disgusting in the back seat and it worked very well.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:30 AM   #14

My first RV was purchased from a smoker. My wife and I worked for a few years to get the smell out with no success. Do not purchase it if the smell of smoke bothers you. You will never get it out.
gregk is offline   Reply With Quote