Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #15

my grand design came with nitrogen filled tires, Costco fills all of their tires with nitrogen
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 07:25 AM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
I have had it in several new Fords and it does not loose pressure in cold weather like air does.
Nitrogen, like air, behaves in accordance with the Ideal Gas Law. Here's what a Pro-Nitrogen website says about pressure change with temperature:

Quote:
What are the effects of temperature change on my nitrogen filled tires?
The pressure in nitrogen filled tires will change when the temperature changes, just as it does with air filled tires, because nitrogen and oxygen respond to changes in ambient temperature in a similar manner. For example, when your vehicle is parked it will lose a similar amount of pressure for every 10 degree change in temperature, whether the tires are filled with nitrogen or air.

The calculations for this change are based on the Ideal Gas Law. A good rule of thumb is this: For every 10 F degree change in temperature, the pressure will change by 1.9%. If a tire is filled to 32 psi at a temperature of 75 F degrees and the temperature drops 10 degrees, the tire pressure will drop to 31.4 psi; a difference of .6 psi. If a 100 psi tire is filled at 75 F degrees and the temperature drops 10 degrees, the tire pressure will drop to 98.1 psi; a difference of .9 psi.

These fluctuations will occur as the temperature rises and falls no matter what the inflation gas. Fortunately, tire manufacturers are well aware of these conditions and design their tires and recommend their cold inflation pressure accordingly.

However, nitrogen does not contain the moisture and other contaminants found in compressed air so, as you drive and the tires heat up, nitrogen filled tires will fluctuate less in temperature and pressure than air filled tires while driving. The bottom line is, you will still see pressure changes with nitrogen but, overall, your tires will run cooler and at a more consistent pressure than if they were filled with air.

For more information please see the Effects of Temperature on Pressure which shows the expansion rates of dry air or nitrogen, in both a truck and passenger tire, as the temperature increases. It also shows how the vapor pressure of water increases as temperature increases and includes a brief explanation.
Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #17

I key of nitrogen fill is the lack of any moisture. There are places that use 'dry air'. To me dry air is as good as nitrogen.

Oxygen and water cause corrosion. Where I live the summer humidity is 80 to 90%. The is a lot of moisture (water) in the air. My air compressure always has water drip out when I empty it. Also air tools always rust from the inside. That is from moisture in the air.

If you live in an area with low humidity like Arizona you will not benefit as much as I would from nitrogen filled tires. Again the benefit is the moisture has been removed.

Again moisture plus oxygen equal corrosion. It is the moisture that causes most of the corrosion at the bead of the tire. This corrosion over years and years will eventually cause a small leak at the bead of the wheel.

Consumer reports did a test and found nitrogen leaks out at about 1/2 the rate as air.

Like someone said Costco uses nitrogen to fill tires. They check pressure, and if low refill with nitrogen.

Someone else correctly said air is 78% nitogen, 20% oxygen, 2% other. But failed to mention moisture content.

Nitrogen fill is slightly better than plain air fill.

The added cost of nitrogen is because they need a machine to cycle air 4 or 5 times to remove the oxygen and moisture.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #18

Quote:
I love dealing with "Discount Tire" and they treat us very well around the country but they don't seem to be fans of nitrogen in tires instead of plain air.
Stick with them as it isn't often you will find places that refuse to go along with gimmicky solutions to a non-existing problem.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
A couple of years ago, I was traveling cross country pulling a 5th wheel and had nitrogen filled tires on my TV. I stopped in Colorado to service my truck and have the tires rotated and asked the GM dealership to rebalance the tire pressures since I usually run 65 in front and 75 in rear when towing. The refused to add air, claiming it would cause a reaction mixing air with N2 and could cause tire failure. Not sure I believe that, since our air is about 80% N2, but luckily I had my own on board compressor. I now just use plain ol' free air and never had any problems wit air loss, instability, etc. I think it's a waste of money unless you're racing or something, it really limits your ability to find a place to fill/adjust your tires if needed. Just my $0.02USD.
What a bunch of gobbers. Air is mostly nitrogen.. The nitrogen fill on the tires is a money maker for the shops.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #20

The only good thing about nitrogen is that it won't support spontaneous combustion in the tire. You can get that if your rig can accelerate to 150 mph in two miles with a dragging brake and then retract the wheels into a closed compartment.

I looked into a 727 tire burst accident where that happened. Boeing introduced a "Nitrogen Only" requirement for inflating tires on it range of jets shortly after the incident.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
The chemistry of Air is 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, 2% other stuff.

If you fill a tire with nitrogen without totally vacuuming out all of the air, the final chemistry is pretty close to .... air.
Yep. And how many gas stations are going to gave nitrogen when u need to top off? None! I find it useless to have nitrogen.
davendeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #22

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
one big up side is that Nitrogen will keep the same pressure at higher temperature. they are not talking air temp it is tire temp even on a cool day after 100 miles at hiway speed feel how warm your tires are. on a hot day down south your tires get very hot and the pressure goes way up to the point it can cause a blow out
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Nitrogen is used for airplane tires, and NASCAR.

So the next time I go 200 mph with the trailer or take it flying, I will consider it. Until then, I'll stick with plain old air.

Nitrogen on a road tire is "snake oil."
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #24

Quote from tuffr2:
"Consumer reports did a test and found nitrogen leaks out at about 1/2 the rate as air."
I wonder where this stuff comes from. Consumer Reports did do a test by filling some tires with nitrogen and some with air and left them to sit outside for a year. tuffr2's statement is not quite what they said. Here is a direct quote of their conclusion:

The test started on September 20, 2006 and the final measurements were taken on September 20, 2007. The results show nitrogen does reduce pressure loss over time, but the reduction is only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires. The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 pressure setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial 30 psi setting. More important, all tires lost air pressure regardless of the inflation medium, so consumers should check their tires' air pressure routinely.

Half the leak rate? Not hardly.

Significant difference? Not really. The 1.3 psi difference over a year's time was probably well within experimental error.

I repeat - Nitrogen is not worth the money!!!
Old 08-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #25

I keep my tires filled with helium. It is more inert that N2 and it makes my truck lighter....

road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #26

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
I have a CO2 cylinder in my jeep and fill the tires with it. Also use it for air tools and to use it to put pressure to displace water from getting into the running gear.
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:29 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot68 View Post
Our 5 er came with nitrogen Columbus also run in my truck. You can top off with sir if needed. Tires will run cooler and pressure will not change when outside temps change. Above all it still ces back to personal preference.
Huh? Do a look at Boyle's and Charle's laws and the universal gas law. Temps change===> pressure changes, at least in this universe.

Another "Profit Center" for those pushing nitrogen, nothing more.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires