Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 10:37 AM   #1

Question No Gravity Fill Port - how do I gravity fill

My new GD Reflection 220RK does not have a Gravity Fill Port, Tank must be filled through the FILL Valve. Fill valve is located in the docking station . It has the standard hose fitting.

We stay at a lot of campgrounds that do not have hookups, but water is available at hydrants that do non take hoses. Right now on my old trailer with the gravity fill port I use water jug and a large funnel.

Can I still use a funnel and garden hose attached to the fill port and gravity fill the tank? I believe it is lower than the docking station fill point.

I did find a funnel that has the threading for a garden hose here Funnel | Edmond, OK - Wonder Funnel

Does anyone have one of their products or how do you gravity fill? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Does your RV have a suction hose at the water pump to winterize with RV antifreeze? You could fill a bucket with water and use the water pump to pump the water into the tank that way. You'll have to add a valve to direct pump flow into the tank, but not too difficult to modify your present set up. You could instead just add a gravity fill port to the side of the RV above the water tank and continue as you have in the past.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #3

It may have that port. I remember seeing a winterize fitting and valve, Thanks for the tip.
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I use a drill powered pump to fill through the city water connection. About $12-15 from Amazon or elsewhere. Add a couple short pieces of white drinking water grade hose - Camco makes them. I already carry a cordless drill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milescra...AaApIUEALw_wcB
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:14 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YODA View Post
It may have that port. I remember seeing a winterize fitting and valve, Thanks for the tip.
You'll have to see if there is a connection/valve that goes back into the water tank after the pump. If not, you'll either have to add one or go the route of a small 12v pump and water hose connections to pump from a jug or bucket through the city water connection.

I guess the RV builders are saving a buck by not putting a gravity port in newer RVs, but it does limit your options and causes investment in equipment of the RV owner to compensate for the RV builder's cheapness.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-28-2018, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I use a drill powered pump to fill through the city water connection. About $12-15 from Amazon or elsewhere. Add a couple short pieces of white drinking water grade hose - Camco makes them. I already carry a cordless drill.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milescra...AaApIUEALw_wcB
That is nifty. Thanks.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 AM   #7

Try this adapter from Amazon

Best of luck
Ron
rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
P5W

Quote:
My new GD Reflection 220RK does not have a Gravity Fill Port, Tank must be filled through the FILL Valve. Fill valve is located in the docking station . It has the standard hose fitting.

We stay at a lot of campgrounds that do not have hookups, but water is available at hydrants that do non take hoses. Right now on my old trailer with the gravity fill port I use water jug and a large funnel.

Can I still use a funnel and garden hose attached to the fill port and gravity fill the tank? I believe it is lower than the docking station fill point.

I did find a funnel that has the threading for a garden hose here Funnel | Edmond, OK - Wonder Funnel

Does anyone have one of their products or how do you gravity fill? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks
First, your GD convenience station (Nautilus in yours, Kantleak in my 2015) has a setting to "draw" water via the water pump. As you mentioned, many water sources do not allow the connection of a hose with a male fitting so for those situations I carry a drinking water container which I can fill with the available water source and then draw the water into the trailer water tank. It is a little inconvenient but works. BTW, you can be filling from the water source while your hose from the trailer is drawing water in so it's not really that bad.

I love it when we're dry camping for an extended period because I can just drive off with my potable water containers and get them filled then come back and just fill my on-board tank. Also, it works best to have your portable container at the height of your panel so the pump doesn't have to work quite so hard.

Also, are you on the Grand Design Owner's Forum? I highly recommend it so you can get quick and accurate brand specific answers and help.
P5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:37 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by P5W View Post
First, your GD convenience station (Nautilus in yours, Kantleak in my 2015) has a setting to "draw" water via the water pump.
No profanity!! Handy to know your RV has a valve setting for filling the tank. As many others have chimed in, there are workarounds for the 'cheapness' of the manufacturer's not including a gravity fill port. For $10-25 you can get and install a gravity fill port. No pump, extra hoses, etc. needed. I like having one for the convenience of being to take on water without having to set up a Rube Goldberg device or rely on the plastic valve to divert the city water to the tank which, according to numerous RV owners on here, are prone to leaking and filling the tank when you don't want it.

Bob & Donna
Old 02-28-2018, 03:45 PM   #10

Quote:

Thanks
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_thief
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
A 'water thief' allows you to take water from a water faucet that doesn't have hose threads. I have one. I've also learned that you can't restrict the flow of the water or you'll blow the 'thief' right off the faucet. It won't work for hooking to a city water port or probably even the restricted flow of filling a water tank through the city water port.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Connect...Hose+Connector

Bob & Donna
Old 02-28-2018, 03:58 PM   #12

Amazon - lowest price - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FKF5WI...a-392698367445

Just keep it for when you need it.

Brst of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
A 'water thief' allows you to take water from a water faucet that doesn't have hose threads. I have one. I've also learned that you can't restrict the flow of the water or you'll blow the 'thief' right off the faucet. It won't work for hooking to a city water port or probably even the restricted flow of filling a water tank through the city water port.
Yes, you may have to do two things - hold the WT on with your hand and/or use the water valve to lessen the flow of water.

Did the OP say he wanted to use the city water port? I thought he wanted to fill his fresh water tank.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #14

I have a Water Thief as well. Only used a it a few times but it's priceless IMO,
I got a hose clamp and use my cordless drill with the right socket for the WT. I can cinch it down pretty tight with the hose clamp. It will still blow off under heavy back pressure. But it beat filling at a snails a pace holding the WT.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote