Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #1

OK here is my dumb question. I had a brother come into town and didnt feel like using propane to heat so I plugged in a 1500watt heater in the front and one in the bedroom and when I went out later both were off and no power to any outlet in the RV. Both GFI's dont seem to want to reset. I checked the GFI breakers under the fridge and both were still ON. Even after resetting those they didnt work. Anyone have any experience they would admit to that compares to mine

Bob
Retired Army Ranger
97 Dodge Dually Diesel
2000 Crossroads All American
Lady with ArmPit Piranha will travel

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #2

OK here is my dumb question. I had a brother come into town and didnt feel like using propane to heat so I plugged in a 1500watt heater in the front and one in the bedroom and when I went out later both were off and no power to any outlet in the RV. Both GFI's dont seem to want to reset. I checked the GFI breakers under the fridge and both were still ON. Even after resetting those they didnt work. Anyone have any experience they would admit to that compares to mine

Bob
Retired Army Ranger
97 Dodge Dually Diesel

Old 01-02-2006, 11:07 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well running 2 1500 watt heaters is NOT a thing you should doing, as you well know now. Make sure you unplug both heaters and try resetting the GFI circuits again. Also pull the fuses and use a meter to check them because we all know that the idiot lights are just that, they make us look like idiots because we didn't actually check them.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:26 AM   #4

Gewl,
Already unplugged the heaters, checked the fuse switch, pulled the fuses to all others and tried to reset the GFI's. It was dark outside so I will try and find another fuse panel somewhere else (dont think there is one) or replace the GFI's (hard to believe that both plugs are bad). Yes it was dumb but I figured since I was on external AC that if it was too much load it would blow the switch either at the trailer or inside the house. Only half to do it once to learn a lesson.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:00 PM   #5

Well checked the fuse panel today in the daylight and wallah. The main breaker looked like it was OK but was actually just blown. Reset the fuse and the GFI and all is OK. Good lesson learned. Thanks for the input
Bob
Retired Army Ranger
And just a little bit RV Smart
Old 01-03-2006, 07:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A 1500 watt heater will pull about 12.5 amps, so two woild be 25 amps which in under your 30 amp service. Now if you trialer is protected with a 15 amp internalbreaker on one circuit and you pupt both on the one circuit...it will trip.

I run two on mine, on opposite ends of the trailer and on two different circuits all of the time.

Ken
Old 01-04-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you have a large inverter/charger check the circuit breaker on it.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #8

Same as TXiceman here, I use two units but they are on opp sides of the unit and one at the front the other at the back. Even works on most state park electric services.

Grant
96 Ford Powerstroke, CC,Long bed DRW, TWildman custom burned 4 pos chip, 3.0 downpipe and Bully Dog 4.0 exhaust, cat deleted, AFE intake system,boost,pyro (located post turbo),trans gage (located in test port),Torqueshift tranny cooler,Firestone air
Horse-Show Manager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:52 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
With 50 amp shore power, we have no problem running 2 ceramic heaters - as long as they are on separate circuit breakers in the RV's power distribution panel.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:39 PM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RV Wizard:
If you have a large inverter/charger check the circuit breaker on it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, where can you reset the inverterr? We have a 40 ft RV Hoilday Rambler and we blew some of are plugs not all? Thanks
Old 04-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Hi Gary&Debbie...
Your inverter is probably in the far back passenger storage bay. Look at the photo below. You will see two buttons that has a "20" on them.
Push those buttons in and you will be all set!

MM

(PS...Call me nuts but I just went out and took that photo for you! )
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:09 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
gary&Debbie...
I apologize for not welcoming you! I don't usually venture in the travel trailer forum too often...but for some reason I did.

I want to invite you to introduce yourselves at the New Member Check-In and also join in at the Monaco Forum (Actually if you go there and post on the "Calling all Monaco Owners" thread...it will cross over into the new member area.)
Anyway... I apologize for not welcoming you to what I think is the friendliest RV forum around!
I hope you join us at the Monaco Forum and ask for some "Karma Please"...we hope to read more of your posts and be of any assistance that we can!

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote