Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

No power to living room slide

I have a '07 Keystone Cougar 292 RKS that we bought used a couple of months ago while we were wintering at a RV park in Tucson. We're happy with it overall - we've had a couple of minor glitches, but have resolved them. But...we traveled from AZ to FL before coming home to Ohio, and on the first night out from FL, the living room slide wouldn't go out; it's like the 12 volts weren't getting to the motor since there was no evidence it tried to work. I checked the fuse panel right away and nothing was amiss.

I've read about re-settable breakers in the battery compartment, but what I found were two (I guess) fuse blocks - one 30 amp and one 50 amp. With the battery connected, I checked for voltage across the posts on each one and got nothing. So, I removed all of the wires and checked across them with an ohm meter, and they both had continuity. The first night it happened, I pulled the wall switch off and checked for voltage - it showed 12 volts at one of the terminals. Any Ideas? Thanks guys...Dick

rburckhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #2

Bad switch, bad motor, broken wire.

450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Go straight to the hydraulic pump and check the connections and grounds.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:39 AM   #4

Mine is a Lippert electric slide. I did open the access cover on my underbelly and check the connections to the motor (w/out tracing them any farther) and the connections looked good.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Have someone inside trying the slide out switch while you jiggle the wires especially the ground.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM   #6

My guess is the current limiters are not set properly or broken. Somewhere under a drawer or in a tucked away compartment there is a current limiting electronic board that is electrically between the switch and the motor. The silver blobs rated at 30 or 50 are circuit breakers. If you have continuity they probably are working but remember they work off current not voltage. The only way to check them is under load. They will have battery voltage+ on the input and under load they should have battery voltage + on the output. Measure between ground and the terminals on the breakers but UNDER LOAD. Both should be battery+.
I would check the voltage at the motor with some one pressing the slide out button. If voltage at motor yes, you probably have a bad motor. If no voltage at motor look between motor and battery,.switch ,circuit breaker, current limiter, etc and track down where the fault is. If your system is equipped with a current limiter board look carefully there. They are known problem spots. Get a circuit diagram from the manufacturer to help with troubleshooting.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 04-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

check under the front of the unit, by the frame, sometimes they put the resettable breakers there, you could also call Matt in parts at lakeshore rv, 231 788 2040, he can help you, hey handle Cougar.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #8

Well, today I found the problem! It is the motor. The bakelite that holds the armature brush and spring bracket is broken out. At first I thought it was just the spring, but when I tried to install a new one, I realized the the problem was the holder was kaput. Just glad I finally found the problem, and can fix it myself. Thanks to all...Dick