Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2018, 05:05 PM   #29

Just curious and not trying to change your mind, but why a great big pickup and a 5th wheel? Any chance you might consider a motorhome and tow a car/suv that doubles as a normal home vehicle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #30

What's the budget here? New? Used? Neither one is wrong and they both have pros and cons.

What's the usage? RV resorts near golfing and shopping or boondocking off the beaten path? Again, neither is better than the other but it will influence your choice. Luxe condo on wheels or short, sturdy off grid cabin?

Full time/longer trips?

Moving frequently or staying put?

Your intended usage will narrow down your shopping list far faster than anything else.

Also: most RVs are the same. Most of them use the same frames/chassis and the same components. They're built by the same workforce. All of this happens in a brutally price competitive industry so generally the more expensive an RV, the better quality components and finishes you'll get. Generally. There are exceptions, however, but not many.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #31
jks

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
I guess this is exactly what has me very hesitant. I either have to just drop this idea or figure out how to differentiate to find the "few" quality trailers out there.

I guess it's time to buy the book (Travel Trailer & Fifth Wheel Comparison Guide).
I did not find the guide helpful. It seemed to just restate the marketing material.
I read Trailer Life magazine for 5 years before I purchased. Trailer Life has what they call "Action Line". This is where people write in and request help in getting their problems resolved with the manufacturer. Some issues that were still in warranty but manufacturer or dealer not standing behind the product. Those are the ones I crossed off my list.
I agree with previous post in that once you have narrowed down to 5 brands, join their forums on line and read as much as you can.
Rule 1 - your traveling companion should have veto power over your choice and visa versa.
Rule 2: PDI is very important. If you do not know what to look for, pay a mobile tech to do the PDI for you.
Rule 3: You have the most power at the dealership before you sign. Once you sign and take ownership, you are almost on your own. Most dealers now days are too busy selling units, and prepping units for pick then to deal with your problems.

If you hear, you can tow anything on the lot with that truck, run.
Good luck, and be patient with your choice.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:31 AM   #32

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by F4Gary View Post
Just curious and not trying to change your mind, but why a great big pickup and a 5th wheel? Any chance you might consider a motorhome and tow a car/suv that doubles as a normal home vehicle?
I've done months/years of thinking and research leading up to this year. My wife retires in two months and we weren't ready to buy before. This was my thought process and I'm sure folks will shoot holes in it, but I'm not likely to change my mind now.

We started considering a Class C and thought it may be too small. When we increased length, I had concerns of motor and chassis being under sized. Plus cost for quality was high for size.

Then considered a Class A. Cost for good quality and diesel pushers went up to closer to $200K+. Had concerns about wheel base ratio for MHs under 40'. Then you have to tow another vehicle. You have a major investment in the chassis, diesel, drive train and probably won't get more than 125,000 miles out of something capable of going much more. Investment ties the drive train, motor, etc with the coach which probably won't last as many miles / years.

2500HD / 3500HD truck and 5th wheel separates the two investments. Cost should be less than the $200K+ for entry level motor homes. Truck quality is much higher than trailer and will last longer. Don't have to buy a second vehicle to haul around. Can use the truck to haul other things (utility trailer) to haul my tractor, lumber, gravel, etc. Like the 5th wheel options for space / storage etc.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:49 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freqz View Post
What's the budget here? New? Used? Neither one is wrong and they both have pros and cons.

What's the usage? RV resorts near golfing and shopping or boondocking off the beaten path? Again, neither is better than the other but it will influence your choice. Luxe condo on wheels or short, sturdy off grid cabin?

Full time/longer trips?

Moving frequently or staying put?
I believe I can purchase a new diesel 2500HD / 3500HD for mid $60K and a good quality slightly used 5th wheel for about the same, putting my cost around $120K to $150K.

We are not planning to become full timers, but want the quality of a full timer RV. Will probably travel 4-5 months out of the year and travel the entire US.

Could move frequently when we are exploring & trying to see new parts of the country but will also probably sit in one place for a few weeks when visiting family and friends.

Don't expect we'll do a lot of boondocking, but may do some.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jks View Post
I did not find the guide helpful. It seemed to just restate the marketing material....

Rule 2: PDI is very important. If you do not know what to look for, pay a mobile tech to do the PDI for you.
Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look at the magazine. I'm afraid I don't know what PDI means.

Any opinions about the RV Consumer Group's "RV Rating Guide"?
Old 03-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #35

Quote:
I've done months/years of thinking and research leading up to this year. My wife retires in two months and we weren't ready to buy before. This was my thought process and I'm sure folks will shoot holes in it, but I'm not likely to change my mind now.

We started considering a Class C and thought it may be too small. When we increased length, I had concerns of motor and chassis being under sized. Plus cost for quality was high for size.

Then considered a Class A. Cost for good quality and diesel pushers went up to closer to $200K+. Had concerns about wheel base ratio for MHs under 40'. Then you have to tow another vehicle. You have a major investment in the chassis, diesel, drive train and probably won't get more than 125,000 miles out of something capable of going much more. Investment ties the drive train, motor, etc with the coach which probably won't last as many miles / years.

2500HD / 3500HD truck and 5th wheel separates the two investments. Cost should be less than the $200K+ for entry level motor homes. Truck quality is much higher than trailer and will last longer. Don't have to buy a second vehicle to haul around. Can use the truck to haul other things (utility trailer) to haul my tractor, lumber, gravel, etc. Like the 5th wheel options for space / storage etc.
Your logic is sound, and it's a good plan. If the Class A has to go into the shop for engine work, so does your home. Not so with a truck.

You do give up some creature comforts (i.e. wife can't ride in the back while you're travelling, etc.), but overall a very good plan.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 06:04 PM   #36

Quote:
I believe I can purchase a new diesel 2500HD / 3500HD for mid $60K and a good quality slightly used 5th wheel for about the same, putting my cost around $120K to $150K.

We are not planning to become full timers, but want the quality of a full timer RV. Will probably travel 4-5 months out of the year and travel the entire US.

Could move frequently when we are exploring & trying to see new parts of the country but will also probably sit in one place for a few weeks when visiting family and friends.

Don't expect we'll do a lot of boondocking, but may do some.

That's a good budget and should get you in something fairly new and good quality.

My nicely equipped F350 DRW Lariat was right at $60k.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #37

We have a 35'6" Montana fifth wheel and we love it. There can be issues with any type of RV. IMHO, researching the dealer is one of the most important things to do. We have been very fortunate with our rig and our dealer has been great. We chose a fiver and truck for the following reasons:

Initial expense of RV - Our fiver cost $65,000, MH were MUCH more expensive.
Insurance on a MH was about 5 times the cost of our fiver.
The tires for a MH were more expensive and there are more of them!
Registration for a MH is substantially more than a fiver.
If you're not a DIY person, a simple oil change on a MH is pricey. Not necessary on a fiver.
Fiver kitchens are much more user friendly and generally have more inside storage and counter space.

We already had a truck. It's an oldie but a goodie. 2002 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel and it runs like a champ with about 150,000 miles on it. We average 10-11 MPH when towing. Our friends with MH usually get about 7-8.

There many beautiful MH out there, but we prefer the "homey" feeling of a fiver.
hgtyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:33 PM   #38
jks

Quote:
Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look at the magazine. I'm afraid I don't know what PDI means.

Any opinions about the RV Consumer Group's "RV Rating Guide"?
Sorry, Pre Delivery Inspection. Do not trust the dealer to do it for you. Unlike cars most states do not have lemon laws, and therefore you need to make sure all is in working order before you sign.
If you do the PDI on you own, then compile a list of items to check and have the dealer educate you on every aspect of the rig. Various forums have PDI list compiled, download one and modify it to fit your needs.
I had may dealer test dumping all the tanks for example, and auto-level and manual level the rig before I took possession. DW vidioed everything so as to refresh our memory later on. It was our first 5th wheel. We graduated from a pop-up trailer.
jks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1521 View Post
Truth be told, they're all assembled by guys making minimum wage. .
Actually most rv companies pay very well, upwards of $30 an hour plus bonuses at some factories. The problem is they get bonuses for building them faster. It's typical for them to only work 30 hour weeks. During hot summer months they can really bust out some RVs.
ChadSmeltzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #40

Quote:
Brad, could you venture a guess as to the percentage of RV CG have full hook ups as oppose to none or very little? And also a rough guess on what percent of CGs would be very difficult to park your vehicle? Not sure I understand a 37' trailer and a 27' tow vehicle...64' long.
Sorry for the delay in responding. I have been gone. I have no idea for sure about percentages but a guess would be nearly all have some full hookups. I was just mentioning COE parks.

I see that others have answered the 64' question. Look at my picture and it is easy to see the 64'. This is one of the considerations I have when making reservations. Fortunately I can back up this rig. Sometimes I'm told they don't have anything that long but the sites are wide so I just park the truck beside the 5er. I use Woodalls and rv trip wizard for plotting routes and they have filters for 'big rig access'. That helps narrow things quickly.

Someone mentioned motorhome and why choose a 5er. We went with a 5er because my wife likes the floor plans better plus she likes a big window out the back.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:14 PM   #41

Quote:
My wife is retiring soon and we've been giving thought to buying a fifth wheel and a truck, probably later in the year.

I'm leaning toward a 32-38' fifth wheel and a 3500HD diesel, DRW, long bed.

I'll try to sort through the various manufacturers of RVs and narrow it down and then seek out a used later model. Any advice on literature that helps sort through the various manufacturer's quality, specs, etc would be helpful.

Are RV shows and factory tours a good idea? How does someone avoid making BIG mistakes buying a very poor quality used RV?

I plan to purchase the truck new 2017 - 2019.
I don't see anything about if you just want an RV for recreation or if you plan to go full timing. They are two very different things.
As for locating a rig I would definitely look at consignment lots (like PPL Motors) or some place like the Kansas RV Center (they used to build HitchHiker and now they handle other brands and refurbish older units). Both of those two have web sites.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 03:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Does everyone agree with this statement...How important is length in site availability?
Yes, definitely. We like to camp in BLM and state parks - minimum services and try and stay away from the KOA types, unless we need the services or want to pamper ourselves.

I just downsized from 30' to 27 feet as in some places that extra 3 feet was a problem. Now my truck did not help much being a F350 crew cab dully with the 8' bed. I hope to downsize that next year with a 3/4 extend cab short bed. My new trailer will work with a short bed.

Hope this helps

BTW in choosing, sit in the trailer without the sales person and pretend your camping. Pretend to cook and where to put dishes and pans. Access to fridge and bath while traveling. Look closely at storage and try to know what you will be taking. Do they have 12V outlets - I need one for my CPAP. When traveling will you be spending a lot of time in the trailer, or be out doing things.Look at the power outlets locations. Do you need the TV. Do you want solar (a must in my book). Anyway - just some thoughts.
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote