Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 05:20 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Last year we traveled from VA to cal and back, in June....no reservations, no planning....never had a problem getting a campsite, except at grand caynon.in hindsight, I would have planned at least part of the trip, but, still had a great time.
Passport America, loved it, even got a great campsite at a resort in Las Vegas at passport America price. Called ahead, and said no more passport spots available, so went anyway expecting to pay full price, got it at passport price, great surprise!
Granted, not always going to find a passport site near where you are going and each place has their own policy, but it has paid for itself after only using it a couple of times a year.
Vw triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2018, 10:07 PM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Manwithnorv,

As I think I've stated before, I believe your questions in advance shows a real interest in RVing. Keep it up and ignore the gripes.

I think the real answer is it depends. I've only traveled in the west, so far. If we have a particular destination we want, we'll make that reservation early and some CGs fill early. But, the in-route stops will vary. We may boondock (never had any issues, yet) or estimate that night's stop about noon and call then to make sure there'll be a spot. This has worked well for us. I'm not the type that wants or needs every detail planned well in advance, part of the fun of the open road concept. I understand that some people want every detail in place and that's great for them.

We're headed to Alaska for five months in a few days and the only reservations for now will be Denali NP. May make a few more while we travel, but not many, we want to be free to spend time where we want.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #31

We always make reservations when traveling. I want to know I have a spot to go to at the end of the day.

We have never had a problem until this year. Decided to take an early trip in mid April before DW began a new job. Wanted to stay in Marietta, OH but was unable to find a CG to stay at. Two of the cg were filled for the year with pipeline workers and one was not opening until May 1 due to flood damage. Several in West Virginia were not opening until May 1. Ended up staying in Milton, WV. We ran into the pipeline workers the last couple years in Northeast Ohio and they will be coming to Northwest Ohio soon. I'm glad the cgs have a guaranteed income for a couple years but it makes it difficult to plan a vacation.
TCollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #32

All of our trips so far this year we had reservations made by the middle of December. Good thing we did, We leave on the 25th for Kentucky Horse Park Lexington KY for 11 days. When I called them in November they had 18 open spots out of 260 for our timeframe.
quartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCollins View Post
We always make reservations when traveling. I want to know I have a spot to go to at the end of the day.

We have never had a problem until this year. Decided to take an early trip in mid April before DW began a new job. Wanted to stay in Marietta, OH but was unable to find a CG to stay at. Two of the cg were filled for the year with pipeline workers and one was not opening until May 1 due to flood damage. Several in West Virginia were not opening until May 1. Ended up staying in Milton, WV. We ran into the pipeline workers the last couple years in Northeast Ohio and they will be coming to Northwest Ohio soon. I'm glad the cgs have a guaranteed income for a couple years but it makes it difficult to plan a vacation.
If you don't mind dry camping in the boonies, you could have stayed at the AEP Recreation area. Plus it's FREE
quartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:56 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
That's it...I think the answer I was hoping to hear. So I assume when you travel multiple nights say going cross country, you have to make all the planned stops in advance. Do you have to do this all before you leave home or are you able to do them as you go, if you know what I'm asking? I guess it probably depends on a lot, but I'd like to know how you do it.
You are making this hard. Are You still working, have a tight schedule, make reservations. If retired, like us, we will call ahead the day before to check space.

Just left S Texas, arrived in Co.10 days later. Found a couple of free spots, stayed a couple extra days, found a BLM campground we liked, stayed for 4 days.

In our summer spot, you usually have to make a reservation the year before for a July and August stay.

We have friends that plan their trips down to the day, us, we just get up and turn left.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #35

We always make reservations,sometimes months in advance for popular western areas. Local areas a month in advance. If we happen to like an area and if possible stay in the same park fine, if not more than capable of boondocking with our generator. It’s not the end of the world to lose a day or twos worth of cancellation fees, not much $$ in the big scheme of things when considering a 2-4 week trip.
Stihlntime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:24 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
You are making this hard. Are You still working, have a tight schedule, make reservations. If retired, like us, we will call ahead the day before to check space.
Call ahead the day before? Yes we are retired, but If I leaving home in Virginia to head across country, I'm going to plan ahead to make sure I know where I'm going and have a place to stay. It's just a matter of preference. I do the same with hotels, even though there are hotels a plenty these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stihlntime View Post
We always make reservations,sometimes months in advance for popular western areas. Local areas a month in advance.
to month(s) in advance....I like this.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #37

We full time and almost never make reservations pulling our 40ft rig. However, we rarely go to RV parks.

Full timing gives you too much flexibilty to be locked into a plan. (Plans also cost more $$) We also dont go to places when the sheeple go there, not worth the hassle. Recreational RVrs need to reserve so they can be back to work on Monday. A lot of older full timers need to reserve as their more rigid and they dont move as often.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
So I guess it can work either way...what ever floats your boat. Some folks like to travel without planned distances and stop when and where they feel like it and manage to find something. Others like to know where they are going to stop, have a reserved site and drive to it.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #39

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That about sums it up manwithnorv. We operate operate both ways. Depends where and when we are going. Like on our way to Alaska right now, we don't make any reservations until after lunch if even then and no issues. But we are happy to stop in any safe pull out for the night if we desire. Works just fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #40

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Usually this weekend, July 4th Weekend and sometimers Labor Day

I'm paying way too much at a KOA this weekend (4 nights 250, crappy WI-Fi (Speeds remind me of dial up. in fact I had FASTER dial up). Small pool. Poor shower.. But the location is fantastic for my weekend plans. I have two activities planned for today. I"m 1/2 way between them so first I head SOUTH after lunch then NORTH for Supper and then back "home".
Old 05-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it depends where you are going.....don't even think about camping in California without a reservation. The popular state,national parks and beaches are packed all the time. Some places are very hard to reserve, unless you go online 6 months in advance. Seriously.
We are retired and fortunate that we can go during the work week. Usually out of the park on weekends before the warriors arrive.
Looking into Passport America....not many participate, and their rules vary all over the place. Meh.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #42

On our two 5th wheel trips to Alaska we never made a reservation neither thru Canada or Alaska. We had NO problem finding any spaces no matter where we went.
This year (July) we're doing about 3-4K throughout the west. We were advised to make reservations, whichI hate doing as it takes the spontaneity out of the trip, and it's a good thing we did, We made ours res's about Feb. and were told at every place they would be full if we hadn't. With gas prices...who knows...but we did and now have the peace of mind knowing we have a place to stay.
John45 is offline   Reply With Quote