RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #1

Noise from pinbox.

Just started getting a lot of snapping and creaking noise from pin box area with back window open. Hadnít noticed it before. ??Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6950.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	257321

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have the same pin setup as yours.....no noise.

You'll have to track it down to the pin, trailer framing above it, or the hitch in the bed.

Hook it up and take a ride with you in the pickup box in an empty parking lot making turns to isolate it. Put wife behind the wheel first!

There are rubber bushings in the MORryde than can wear out.

Do you grease the pin when traveling? Lack of that can cause it. I don't see a lube plate on your setup.

egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

Had a Reese slider that seemed pretty quiet until I opened the rear window, then heard all kinds of creaks and groans. If you ride in bed as egwilly suggests, be careful not to get crushed between trailer nose and cab
Old 08-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #4

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Do you hear any of the same sounds when you load/unload the weight onto the hitch? If not, I suspect it's some play in the hitch rails, etc.
I mounted my GoPro in the bed during a trip one time just to see if I had any abnormal pin box deflection.
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:17 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lub it.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:09 PM   #6

If you have a Lippert Frame consider the leverage from your 5th wheel hitch and the cross members that hold the hitch to the frame.. There are a lot of examples where the leverage from a hitch has cracked and damaged the cross members that hold the hitch to the 5th wheel chassis... I own a trailer that this happened to...

I noticed it when loading and unloading the 5er... the leverage would rock or twist the hitch... it would move up/down without much movement of the frame...

I opened and exposed the frame and found the (2) 2x6x1/8" wall tubing that supports the hitch from one frame rail to the other cracked, damaged with broken welds...
I opened more the area and cut out both pieces that run across the frame and replaced with 2x6x1/4" wall tubing and welded it in place, and than added some new braces not used by lippert....

Of course neither the manufacturer of the trailer or Lippert had ever heard of the problem..... I discovered what I thought was the problem from this forum.... and confirmed after UN-covering the frame...
Old 08-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Lube it.

That's what she said.

Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise