RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2018, 08:39 PM   #1

Non-commercial Class A needs help

I bought a new 5th wheel and found out I need a non com class a because my weight is sitting at 27000 lbs. dont have the trailer yet will pick up on the 20th. need to know how to get it to dmv for test. any ideas

ypvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

You are talking about a California Non-Commercial driver's license upgrade...right?

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 09:45 PM   #3

Need to have someone “drive you” to the DMV with a non - commercial A...or a any commercial license for that matter
Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post

You are talking about a California Non-Commercial driver's license upgrade...right?
yes
ypvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:02 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does the fifth wheel weigh 27,000 lbs by itself?

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:14 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Getting the RV to the DMV is an often asked question. If you drive it there, you are in violation.
Someone with the proper license Class should deliver the RV for you.

To get the license...
The California RV and Trailer Handbook says:
Adults must:
• Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
• Pay the application fee.
• Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL 546) dated not more than
two years prior to the date of your application.
• Pass the basic Class C law test, unless you renewed your
Class C license within the past 12 months.
• Pass the Recreational Vehicles and Noncommercial Class A
Trailers law test.
• Pass a vision test.
• Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
• Pass the skills test.
• Pass a driving test while towing the type of vehicle you wish
to be licensed for.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:38 AM   #7

Not sure how your state works, but in IL, I went in and did everything but the driving test. This gave me a Non-CDL class A learners permit food for a year. The following spring before it expired I stopped by and completed the driving portion.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

Move to a state that does not require it. JK
Old 06-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Your profile notes you are in Southern California......here ya go. Different requirements depending on GVWR of trailer. You state your trailer weight is 27000 lbs, so you have a driving and skills test to take mentioned in Scarab0088 reply. That must be one big trailer! BTW, not all DMV offices offer this driving/skills test.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RVDriversmanual.pdf (648.4 KB, 26 views)
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #10

Ypvince - sent you a PM.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:53 PM   #11

When I bought my 5er in 2012 I was still a CA resident. The law in CA in 2012 for 5ers only required a Fifth Wheel Endorsement on my regular drivers liscense. I went to DMV and took a written test (no driving test) and got my endorsement.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTiger View Post
When I bought my 5er in 2012 I was still a CA resident. The law in CA in 2012 for 5ers only required a Fifth Wheel Endorsement on my regular drivers liscense. I went to DMV and took a written test (no driving test) and got my endorsement.
That's only if your 5er's GVWR is 15,000 lbs or less. If more than that, you need a Non-Commerical Class A license.
MattE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 PM   #13

In TX, the law says if your GVWR for both vehicles is 26,001 lbs (not the actual weight, but rated weight), then a class A exempt license is what's needed to be legal in TX, and also will make you legal in all the US. Cost only $11, you take a skills test on a computer (its 20 questions multiple choice), don't miss 7 or you fail, then upon passing, a skills test will be scheduled at one of 115 locations in the state. You must perform the skills test in a vehicle(s) that fit the >26k size, i.e. your pickup and camper. An examiner (not law enforcement) will grade you. They don't necessarily ask how the tv and 5er made it to the site, as most will say, I'm an examiner not an LEO. Mine never asked, and my wife and I both passed. It (skills rest) was incredibly easy. Wife took two tries to pass written. Of course your rig will be checked for current registration and insurance.

So, what I've read on this issue, and being a retired TX DPS employee for 29 yrs in conviction reporting, whatever your state's current law is for a license to drive an RV for personal use, class A, C or tow a fifth wheel, whereas total vehicle(s) GVWR equal 26,001 lbs or more (this is the federal commercial licensing min. weight limit in the FMCSA or Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration dealing with CDLs), then you are legal in all 50 states. Typical class B RVs (being conversion vans) are not really nearing the 26k marks, yet. Any passenger car license can drive them anywhere.

And from what I've read and been told, law enforcement officers rarely harass personal RVers (unless you've violated an obvious moving violation) about having the correct license, or towing with under-rated tow vehicles, as it's a gray area in law enforcement. But if you fit the profile of a transporter...they most certainly will be looking at you and your trailer to have a valid CDL license and trailer registration (for interstate commerce). But if for any reason a LEO asks to see your license and determines you're not qualified to drive your class vehicle, you could receive a ticket for no driver license. In TX, you'll get an annual surcharge letter $100 x 3 yrs (after you paid the ticket, its a conviction) on top of the court fine of app $150 for the violation. $450 total and your insurance will go up. Some have said if you're involved in a serious accident where a fatality occurred and/or not even your fault, and it is determined you were driving with the wrong class license, you could face severe consequences of being sued. Another good reason to add disc brakes to your fifth wheel.

My .02.
dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 PM   #14

Move to Arizona. There is no requirement to get a special license to tow or drive any private RV. There is also no requirement to get a CDL to drive RV's commercially as all RV's are exempt under AZ state law.

The RV dealership I work for required me to get a Class B CDL to drive for them and it was pretty easy.

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a