Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2018, 06:50 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Norcold Refrigerator Question

We have a 2018 KZ Durango Gold 5th Wheel. Our fridge is a side by side RV fridge. Lately it seems to run 24/7 and even set on 9 the temp never goes below 45 or 50. We have tried just electric power, and then just propane. Not much difference. Things are frozen in the freezer section, but ice cream is not rock hard as you would think set on 9.

We live in our 5'er fulltime and are stationary. We just had our yearly inspections done for our forever warranty.

Doing a bit a research we have read Norcold fridges are famous for this. Anyone run into this problem.

We did double check the exterior vents and they are clean. Thanks.
Magicalwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #2

Check for frost on the thermister on the fin inside the fridge. Move it near the top of fin. Do a search on muddypaws mod. Personally I pulled our fridge out. Slide insulation above the fridge and slide roof, and insulated and sealed up the false wall on range side.Also ensure there is a baffle from top of fridge to bottom of top vent if in slide. Make sure the fans run in the back chimney. Freezer runs - 4*F on 78*F. Fridge is 33-35*F on number 5 setting
Our trailer is a 2017 Jayco 321rsts

RoadrunnerII
Old 08-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #3

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
I ordered our 2014 with the 1210 Norcold. It never cooled properly. I was so tired of the run around between Norcold and the RV manufacturer that I took it out and installed a residential.
Personally, I would not even waste my time trying to figure it out. Especially since you are stationary I'd go residential. You'll have more consistent reliable cooling, less power usage and more storage.
The Samsung 18 takes up the same space (cabinet wise) as the Norcold. Its virtually silent. Ours has been trouble free in 4 years of travel use in Florida and the SE USA. We love it.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:28 PM   #4

Check for ice buildup on cooling fins in fridge. Thermostat sensor will not read air temp correctly. We put a small battery operated fan in ours to blow on fins. This keeps ice from forming on them.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:17 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
We thought about doing that. Seems like a good option.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
We did check the fins and no ice build up at all. We could only wish ours would run at the temps mentioned in the earlier response. I guess we will have it looked at and see what they say. It is under warranty.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 PM   #7

Thermistors measure FIN Temp not air temp (10*F lower then air)
Fridge thermostat is calibrated for a temp range based on temp setting 1-9.
Moving thermistor will NOT affect that...thermistor just provides feedback of temp
(Models with 'Auto Temp Control'---moving thermistor up/down on fin can affect overall temps 6*F-8*F)

What model is your Norcold???
Fridge in a slideout......External fans MUST run

What is freezer temp?

If freezer temps are 10*F or lower then not enough ammonia vapor is being condensed into cold liquid which absorbs the heat from freezer FIRST then from food compartment.
COLD liquid ammonia saturated with heat from freezer then nothing left over to absorb enough heat from food compartment to drop/maintain food compartment temps

Airflow/draft required to flow up thru absorber tubing (large slanted tubes) and then across Condenser Fins (at top) -----Condenser section is where the hot vapor ammonia is condensed into a cold liquid ammonia which then supercools when mixed with the hydrogen gas
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:00 AM   #8

Norfolk 811 here double fridge. We also full-time. I've done 4 types of improvements to try and fix this problem I've had over the last 4 years. I finally got it licked so far. Most of the issues were with the fridge on the right hand slide. The slide wall was getting so got from the sun hitting it all day all. #1 fix. I installed a 1.5" foam insulation board on the outside wall.
#2 installing fridge fin cooling fan.
#3 installed directional metal shield on top of back of fridge to get the heat out the vent.
#4 added extra fan outside, lower vent side, to push fresh air over cooling coils.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:05 AM   #9

Heres a few pics
Old 08-13-2018, 07:39 AM   #10

Also added this deflecting shield too force the air over the coils.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:48 AM   #11

'ramn4vr'
It is unfortunate but those 'mods' were necessary because the RV MFG did NOT properly install your fridge. Too big of clearances at back of fridge, lack of fans due to being in slide and dead air space at top of fridge. ALL of that is addressed in the INSTALLATION Manual that is supplied by Fridge MFGS

Majority of 'lack of cooling' issues are direct result of RV MFG not doing a proper install.....even with instructions from fridge mfg.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
'ramn4vr'
It is unfortunate but those 'mods' were necessary because the RV MFG did NOT properly install your fridge. Too big of clearances at back of fridge, lack of fans due to being in slide and dead air space at top of fridge. ALL of that is addressed in the INSTALLATION Manual that is supplied by Fridge MFGS

Majority of 'lack of cooling' issues are direct result of RV MFG not doing a proper install.....even with instructions from fridge mfg.
Your right on the money there....
Old 08-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramn4ver View Post
Your right on the money there....

Installation info...starts on pg 12
http://www.primetimerv.com/download/...1V_Install.pdf

'magicalwoman'

What model is YOUR fridge??
1200, 1210, Polar X ???????
Old 08-13-2018, 04:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Airflow/draft required to flow up thru absorber tubing (large slanted tubes) and then across Condenser Fins (at top) -----Condenser section is where the hot vapor ammonia is condensed into a cold liquid ammonia which then supercools when mixed with the hydrogen gas
^^Agreed.

Check these fan(s) are operating properly, and the baffle is directing the draft air properly in the chimney.
High temps, direct sunlight are a drawback on performance.
Even shade for the lower exterior vent can help.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, refrigerator