Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2016, 07:26 AM   #1

Not Unhooking

I saw a discussion of folks not unhooking for a one-night stay, but it was more about the 5th wheel than the truck. I've seen RVer's stay hooked up and some drop the landing gear, and some don't. Intuitively I would think you'd want to at least raise the RV enough to get the weight off the hitch so it's not keeping the weight on the rear tires for an extended period of time. Regarding the truck, is there a downside to leaving the full pin weight on the hitch for an overnight stay?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2016, 08:53 AM   #2

We do this all the time when traveling also put slides out,no problems yet.

Old 10-12-2016, 11:25 AM   #3

I do too- almost always leave trailer connected for overnight stays, be a hassel to unhook for one night.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #4

No need to unhook for 1 night.
Pete1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum.

For a short stay if we don't anticipate using the truck and the site is long enough, why not leave it hitched?
We lower the leveling gear and although I don't auto level, I do adjust somewhat depending on the site grade. Slides go out. I wouldn't see any pin weight as being of any negative consequence. If we can do what we need to do on the bikes we stay hooked up longer.
If the pin weight is of concern, you might reconsider towing it at 60 MPH on public roads?

Be well.
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #6

If you are setting on the hitch with a front BR model and bounce around a bit you may set off the truck alarm. There's an argument for dropping the landing gear.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 PM   #7

Commercial pickups stay hooked up to loads almost year round. Don't think leaving the weight on it for a few days will make much difference.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #8

I am the rare one that unhitches for overnight sleeping. It takes less than a minute to drop the front landing gear and unhitch and vice versa. Then I auto level and put the slides out.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #9

If you are new to 5 ers l would suggest unhitching until you are familer with and comfortable using your leveling switches . Besides a little practice hooking and unhooking will only help your skill level.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:32 AM   #10
paz

We never unhook for a 1-night stop if we can avoid it. We have hydraulic jacks with auto-level, but I don't use the auto-level feature because I could end up with the trailer too high trying to lift the truck. I extend the jacks manually just enough to get the trailer pretty level and stable.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #11

We almost always unhook but strictly for convenience. I usually top off my fuel, go shopping, bum around, etc. On rare occasions we leave it hooked up especially if at a rural crappy park. It happens, especially at the end of the travel day, we're tired and just want to stop and kick back in our space.
rskeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #12

We do it both ways. Even staying just one night. It depends on when we get to the CG/RV park. I will add that in an emergency if you need the truck in the middle of the night it would be a pain if it was still hooked up.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #13

We unhitch as we prefer to fuel without the RV attached. We also have auto leveling which makes hitching/unhitching easy.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator67 View Post
I saw a discussion of folks not unhooking for a one-night stay, but it was more about the 5th wheel than the truck. I've seen RVer's stay hooked up and some drop the landing gear, and some don't. Intuitively I would think you'd want to at least raise the RV enough to get the weight off the hitch so it's not keeping the weight on the rear tires for an extended period of time. Regarding the truck, is there a downside to leaving the full pin weight on the hitch for an overnight stay?
gator67
IMO leaving the full pin weight on the hitch for an overnight stay is far less stressful on the hitch and on the suspension of the tow vehicle than traveling with the full pin weight on the hitch.