Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Number of Air Conditioners

Either my air conditioner is not working correctly (contrary to what my dealer says) or I need another air conditioner (which would make the dealer very happy).

We have a total length of 34 feet, three slides (one large and two smaller), single pane glass windows. Insulation rating on the unit was pretty good.

We live in Arkansas so 90 degree weather is common. I have one AC unit (Dometic 15000 btu). When we get to a site and it is 90 degree, it will only cool to 86 in six hours.

Using an instant read thermometer I get about a 20 degree differential from the outside air, and I don't know how much air it circulates.

If it is 74 in the early morning and 74 in the unit, by late afternoon when it is 90 out, the unit is 81 or so.

Do you think the unit is working correctly and I need another AC or is the unit not cooling correctly. My dealer says everything is fine.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2017, 10:40 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not enough cooling from the one unit. Two minimum needed for such a unit, imo.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:44 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think a 34 ft RV with 3 slides needs 2 units. Especially in the south.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:52 PM   #4

Foretravel Owners Club
Short answer... the more AC units the better,
In your case I would add another unit,
In our 40', single slide rv we have 2 15k's with arctic insulation and multi-pane windows (including the skylight in the shower....really would like to have one more AC unit if we stay south of I-10.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:44 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
Yep, time for a second A/C We are at 35' and have a 15 and a 13.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:50 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by NvGuy View Post
Yep, time for a second A/C We are at 35' and have a 15 and a 13.
But you live in Nevada and I'm in northern Arkansas.

That said, your qualifications are impressive, so please respond again. I'm not in the hot south or high desert.

BuzzWolfAR
2014 F350 Diesel
2018 Cedar Creek 29ir
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 03:39 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Yes, you need another one, but . .

We've a '10 38' Montana that's white that has their "arctic" insulation package. All lighting is LED. We've cut double thick Mylar bubble insulation to fit all the windows and have reflective cushion plugs for the three vents (including the Fantastic Fan). With all lighting off, windows all blocked and no heat generating appliances running, we can get a 28 degree temperature drop with one 15k AC unit. I'm pretty certain that's the best anyone can expect from one of these units.

The problems are that: There is no RV that can have thick enough walls and ceilings for decent insulation and still have decent living space inside. The popular dark color schemes are totally against energy efficiency. Any lighting (including LED) or appliance will generate heat. This is all just math and science.

With the continuing increase in temperatures, you'll find that you'll be increasingly limited in the places and times you can go recreate as you'll need AC power to run two or maybe even three air conditioners. If you do any dry camping and get a second AC, you might also look for an inverter generator that can supply 50 amps as well.
Old 11-05-2017, 04:16 AM   #8

We had a 37' coach with 2 A/C units and dual pane windows ... running one was not sufficient on a 90 degree day ... 2 was fine.

Delta -T is measured as the difference between the intake and the output of an A/C unit. The outside temp and humidity are relevant but you can disregard while measuring. Expect a difference of about 18-21 degrees.
Old 11-05-2017, 05:53 AM   #9

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Delta -T is measured as the difference between the intake and the output of an A/C unit. The outside temp and humidity are relevant but you can disregard while measuring. Expect a difference of about 18-21 degrees.
This is true, but does not reflect your coach, 5th wheel or trailer's overall efficiency. That will be shown by the outside vs. inside temp. That's where your outside color, where you're parked (shade vs. sun), added insulation and what you're doing inside all count. (And those double pane windows don't have enough air gap between the glass to add any appreciative R value.)
Old 11-05-2017, 06:25 AM   #10

One more data point: 35' with white roof, double pane windows, full wall slideout, arctic insulation. The rear AC was DOA. In hot weather over 90, the front unit struggled to keep up. We could get by with shades down, keeping the door closed as much as possible etc. It was a world of difference with the rear unit replaced. Can now keep it just about as cool as we want.
Old 11-05-2017, 06:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
This is true, but does not reflect your coach, 5th wheel or trailer's overall efficiency. That will be shown by the outside vs. inside temp. That's where your outside color, where you're parked (shade vs. sun), added insulation and what you're doing inside all count. (And those double pane windows don't have enough air gap between the glass to add any appreciative R value.)
True. But, if you were trying to determine functionality of the unit, the Delta-T is measured.

All the other factors, as you said, are very important to reduce heat load.
Old 11-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Copied from Airstream forum:
“The written specifications on both Dometic and RVP (Coleman) clearly state that a properly functioning RV air conditioning unit should display a 'delta T' (commonly known as the temperature differential between the cooled air measured at the duct or air outlet and the return air measured at the return air grill) should be 18*F-22*F.

This measurement is NOT dependent on the outside ambient air temperature. There are no absolute temperatures to measure. The 18*F to 22*F temperature differential is strictly related to the temperature of the air going into the evaporator and the cooled air coming out of the evaporator.

As you unit runs for any length of time, the inside temperature should be dropping as the air is cooling during this process, depending of course on your insulation factors, the outside ambient temperatures, the amount of solar heating the aluminum skin will receive from exposure to the sun and the size and capacity of your A/C unit.”

My opinion is that you need another A/C but at the same time, I don’t think yours is operating properly. Did you or dealer pull the inside shroud and check to see if the block off seal is fully intact and not allowing cool air to be pulled back into the system. Also, you could have a feed trunk to the outlets loose and discharging air into the ceiling. A 20 degree delta is not right if you are basing it on outside air temp. Delta should be measured where air enters filter and at discharge outlet.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #13

Our 38 foot MH has two 13.5 units and they struggle to keep up on hot days. I think you are getting all you should expect from one 15.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
On a previous 5ver my AC had the option to divert the cool air directly out the bottom of the AC and into the RV, avoiding the ceiling ducting. I found directing the flow of cool air into the roof ducting cooled the inside of the ceiling really well, not so much the inside of the coach.

Air flow was also greater directly out the bottom of the Dometic 15K - and noisier unfortunately.

I also installed a maxxair vent (fantastic fan) in the vent opening in the upstairs bedroom and drew out hot air while first cooling down the RV.

I choose to NOT install a 2nd low profile 12K unit (Penguin) - we preferred the cool night air from the maxxair powered vent (reversed to draw cool air into the RV). It was very quiet on low speed.

My thoughts,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, air conditioner