Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2013, 09:16 PM   #1

NuWa slider problem

My husband and I have a 2002 Hitchhiker with a living room slider that will not extend out evenly. One side gets to the stopping point and there is a gap on the other side, 2 inches. We've tried to reposition the 5th wheel, but it's still giving us problems. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is the gap on the side even? Have you checked for something stopping the travel on that side? Maybe something is holding it out? Does it come all the way in evenly? Look underneath it to see if the bolt is bent where the lock nuts are. Good luck!

JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegee333 View Post
My husband and I have a 2002 Hitchhiker with a living room slider that will not extend out evenly. One side gets to the stopping point and there is a gap on the other side, 2 inches. We've tried to reposition the 5th wheel, but it's still giving us problems. Any ideas?
juliegee333 - first welcome to iRV2. sorry it has to be due to a problem you are experiencing.

JudyH's advice is good. Manufacturers use different methods to operate the slideouts, but there should be some controlling member on each side of the slide. Check for any anomaly that may cause that side to hang up.

Also, try calling Hitchhiker. They aren't building trailers anymore, but I do believe their service department is still open.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #4

I am working on a customers Rear slide as we speak. It has had that issue for 3 years and the owner finally told me to repair it.
There is a valve in the rear at the pump that you can open and close to equalize the cylinders
Let me know if I can help you.

2009 Crossroads Zinger pulled by a 2013 Chevy 4X4 Pickup. R.I.P. Kendall 3/17/2011
Two Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #5

I agree with K-Star - call NuWa 800-835-0676. They have wonderful employees who are very helpful.

You can also check out the NuWa Owners forum at Login. The forum has a great search engine so you should be able to find posts from others who have had a slide problem.

Jim
Old 05-15-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

We had the same problem and took it to the dealer we bought it from near Tampa Florida. It turned into a month-long nightmare. When they adjusted the one slide it through the slide off on the other wall. In the meantime I contacted the manufacturer and they told me that Lippert made the slide mechanisms as they do for many models. At any rate I was able to download the manual from Lippert and I would either attempt the adjustment myself next time or find a truly certified RV technician that has worked on slide rooms. There are also videos on "You Tube" showing how adjustments are done. One does have to be handy and also only if the unit is out of warranty. I am still not totally satisfied but they say it's as good as it can get. My manufacturer was most helpful as were the people at Lippert.
AdirondackJa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #7

Wow! You guys are great with all the suggestions. My husband called the manufacturer and they suggested that we take off the cover for the slides and see what was going on. 2 missing bolts had caused it not to slide in evenly. Hubby replaced them with new ones and we've fixed it ourselves. I really APPRECIATE all the good feedback... THANK YOU!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

Glad to hear it's fixed - and a simple fix, too.

Jim
Old 05-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner

Way to go!

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good going! And thanks for letting us know the solution!

JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote