Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Odor coming from closet

I have a DRV 38sks3b. There is an Oder coming from the closet. That is where the wAsher and dryer hook ups are. What could causing this.
Be?
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Do you have a washer/dryer? If not, is your washer drain line capped off?

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:50 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the pee trap on the W/D drain is not full of water then the odors from the grey tank will rise into your coach. Particularly when you open a roof vent. Very common. Either cap the drain or you can pour anti freeze in to fill the pee trap and it will not evaporate as quickly.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a drain line in that closet for the washer.. That is where it's coming from.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #5

This is common in homes too, my brothers apartment did this and his apartment was a new construction. The water drain for the washer didn't have a pee trap on the line. It was just a 90 degree elbow.

Your best best is to fill it with some anti-freeze and cap it off.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Measure the diameter of the standing drain for the washer and go get a PVC end cap. Mueller Streamline 2 in. PVC Cap-447-020HC at The Home Depot (Size may vary) No need to glue it in place, it fits pretty snug dry. By the way, it's a P trap, not a Pee trap, that's a diaper.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Just capping that line could cause slow draining of the gray tank. What you really need is one of these or something similar Oatey Sure-Vent 1-1/2 - 2 in. ABS Air Admittance Valve-39018 at The Home Depot these allow air to go into the pipe but not out so you won't create a vacuum while draining.

Dick
Old 07-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
At least on my MS, I have a separate vent line for the gray tank. It doesn't depend on the washer drain line for venting purposes.

Rusty
Old 07-26-2013, 12:19 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Just capping that line could cause slow draining of the gray tank. What you really need is one of these or something similar Oatey Sure-Vent 1-1/2 - 2 in. ABS Air Admittance Valve-39018 at The Home Depot these allow air to go into the pipe but not out so you won't create a vacuum while draining.

Dick
If the only vent to the gray tank was through the washer vent, you'd hear gurgling every time you dumped. That line can be capped with no issues. Most Black and gray tanks have a roof top vent. Putting a 'cheater vent' on that line will just be issues in the future as you won't be regularly dumping water down it and the P trap will dry out.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:47 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all. You just made my hubby very happy. He was right !!
Sightseer33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:49 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseer33 View Post
You just made my hubby very happy. He was right !!
That happens every now and then. Let him gloat in his fleeting moment of glory!

Rusty
Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If the only vent to the gray tank was through the washer vent, you'd hear gurgling every time you dumped. That line can be capped with no issues. Most Black and gray tanks have a roof top vent. Putting a 'cheater vent' on that line will just be issues in the future as you won't be regularly dumping water down it and the P trap will dry out.
My coach only has the black tank vented to the roof. I have an Air Admittance Valve on the Bathroom Sink, Kitchen Sink, and the Washer Hookup. Some have less than three.

Dick
Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #13

Dick, I would be very surprised if your MH has only one vent cap on the roof, although they all might be tied together prior to exiting the roof. Per RVIA code each holding tank must have an open vent, not just an under-cabinet vacuum-breaker, though they too are required, to prevent water from being siphoned from the "P" traps when dumping. They do not have adequate air flow rate to keep up with air intake when dumping and would siphon the "P" traps anyway.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:41 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ray

If there tied together I can't find where. My gray tank has drained slow since I bought it in 2007. That's how I know where all the Vacuum-breakers are. I bought a finned cap for the one vent I have on the roof and if there had been two I would have noticed. When was the code your talking about implemented? I have a 1999 Tradewinds and perhaps that was before the code. I haven't ever had an odor problem but it sure drains slow. I'm OK with it and use the time to flush the black tank with the washer.

Dick

Tags
odor