Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdel747 View Post
no the last owner set him up to help deliver it ,
he never hit any thing , but he ( driver ) also told me he had seen the last owner and his son with this side off/ apart a few years ago , but the last owner never told me about that part he just said he fixed a leak , in the area ,
im not holding my breath on the last owner to help on remedy this as it was a cash deal , but i will contact him after the driver gets back up there as the driver wanted to talk to him about it , seems it happened with in 20 miles of leaving ,
If it happened within twenty miles of setting out, why the heck did the driver keep driving??? And he's mighty quick to tell you stories about "seeing the owner repairing something a few years ago".
Seems to me that the driver is responsible, that he knows it, and that he's trying real hard to foist the blame off on the previous owner.

Here's a picture you posted of the rig as it was when you bought it:

Can you see any obvious sign of a place loose enough to let enough wind get in to tear that big chunk of siding off??? You have only the driver's word that he didn't hit something like an overhang or what have you, which is most likely what happened. Not that you'll ever know, since the "evidence" is back down the road somewhere.

Bottom line:
Even if there was existing INTERIOR damage, the EXTERIOR side of the trailer was ripped off while in the driver's care and control. He's the one you should pursue for damages. Presumably he's got auto liability insurance, and that should take care of it.

Best of luck to you!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree

You should take the issue up with eBay first. If they don't help you then try some of the other ideas expressed here.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:59 AM   #17

thanks for the support ,

not eBay or any of that type of thing ,
i went up the week before and looked it over good , bought it and pulled the wheels off and re-packed the bearings wile i was there ,
i seen this area and made a note to clean it up when it got back ,
if the last owner would of told me he pulled the skin back and "fixed" it ,
instead of just seal the top gutter channel as he said , i would of placed a lath and drilled and screwed it just to be safe , but hine site now ,
the driver was going to talk to the last owner when he got back and i will call tomorrow , as i didn't want to call him wile i was mad about it ,
there is no sign of the driver hitting any thing ,,
it all comes down to poor repair from the last owner , will see if he offers a remedy ,

but all in all as the new day starts it looks much better in the daylight lol ,

but in all seriousness it don't look all that bad and its not going to be that hard or expensive to fix from what i seen so far , as long as i can pick the material up local , hoping Thursday if its in stock ,
as i already have some of the wood ready to start replacing the soft studs and bottom ring , once i score and cut the glass off square , i will just pop out the window and dead end it there , and then just rebuild it like it should of been in the first place ,

did i say it has a 4k generator in it and it runs smooth but i think i will service it before running it any more just to be safe ,
all in all i think it will work out all right in the long run ,
as i would of took it apart any way at some point that way i wont have any dry rot in it ,

I brought all of the tools over today to start in on it in the morning if its not raining ,

I will try to remember to take photos of this repair,

M,

Francesca, I asked the driver ( 73 young ) why he didn't call me and asked if he talked to bob (last owner ) he said he never called any one , i think he was a nerves wreck all the way down thinking i was going to be mad at him , but he brought it down as planned and did his part best he could i guess , i think a start of the forgetfulness thing ,
I payed him the agreed price as i could see it wasn't his fault ,
all in all its a nice unit for its age every thing works so far in it ,
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 AM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdel747 View Post
thanks for the support ,

not eBay or any of that type of thing ,
i went up the week before and looked it over good , bought it and pulled the wheels off and re-packed the bearings wile i was there ,
i seen this area and made a note to clean it up when it got back ,
if the last owner would of told me he pulled the skin back and "fixed" it ,
instead of just seal the top gutter channel as he said , i would of placed a lath and drilled and screwed it just to be safe , but hind site now ,
the driver was going to talk to the last owner when he got back and i will call tomorrow , as i didn't want to call him wile i was mad about it ,
there is no sign of the driver hitting any thing ,,
it all comes down to poor repair from the last owner , will see if he offers a remedy ,
OH boy, you inspected it first, noticed the area and STILL bought it? The seller didn't hide anything, you inspected it before buying.
That pretty much sums it up, neither the seller nor the driver has any more responsibility UNLESS you can prove the driver hit something on the way.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 AM   #19

it sure didn't look like it was going to come off the side wall to me,
but the wind got under it ,

the repair the last owner did consisted of re gluing it to the studs but im not sure what he used ( Black ) , but it didn't stick to the soft wood in it or stayed stuck once on the road ,,

and yep i looked at it but it didn't look loose at that point and i wasn't there going down the road ,
so if bob dose any thing or not i will fix it ,
at this point im not mad about it or to any one , its just another thing that needs to be done ,
but i would hate to have to pay some one to fix it , that would be pricy if i couldn't fix it my self , but i may have a guy i know do the glass seam finishing
as that's my week point on it ,but will see when i get to that point ,

m
Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM   #20

I have a similar problem on a truck slide in camper. I found out that the best way to treat any area were you suspect "WOOD ROT" to treat it all with Boric acid or antifreeze. You can check this web site for the information I found. You might find it interesting & helpful.
http://www.angelfire.com/nc3/davecarnell/rot.html

I am currently finishing up a major "wood rot" repair on my 2001 Lance Truck Camper using this information.

Reg
Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 PM   #21

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Boric Acid AND anti-freeze Stops termites too
Old 09-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #22

It's a difficult concept to grasp because it's an 'invisible' thing (much like electrical theory) but aerodynamics and physics can do some whacky things to moving vehicles.

Case in point, race cars flying up into the air after they get turned around or something else happens to change their aerodynamics or allow air under them.

In this case the wind is pushed out of the way by the nose of the trailer which is decidedly not very aerodynamic. This would cause the air to be pushed out quite a bit to the side, the area that was damaged would then have been in a vacuum caused by the air going out and around that area.

Since the wood underneath was rotten there was nothing for the skin to be stuck to and that vacuum literally pulled the skin out off the nose. Once it was out enough to catch the air going past the wind load just ripped it clean off.

It's the same reason you see so many empty tote bins & coolers along the side of the highways. The wind going over the cab of a pickup creates a vacuum and sucks out anything light like that sitting in the box and not tied down.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #23

I agree with the others, get an attorney, quick like, and subpoena that driver before he suddenly gets amnesia.
LadyFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #24

Save your money for repairs. You inspected you bought it the driver should have had a release form if he's a pro if he's a friend there's still laws to protect him.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #25

Well, you seem to be ok with the situation. Repair it best you can, but if you are going to ND with it where I think you are, then its going to self-destruct over winter anyway.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM   #26

Well its been a wile sense i posted , Darn work gets in the way of all the fun ,
Thanks for the reply's , I don't need any stinkin lawyer .
I had a business policy refuse work from Doctors lawyers and teachers
as they were the ones that thought they should get the biggest price cut , , and it will cost more than the repair will , it's not like i spent 30k for it anyway , ,, get along and move along i say , now that the shock is over ,

So any way

The biggest part of this is finding the filon at a cost one can afford
factoryrvsurplus.com is where i found the best price 1/2 of what others Quoted and that's with shipping ,
so far cost are ,

Filon 149 +102 shipping
1/4 in backer board 2 =$33
1 1/2 rigid Styrofoam 2 = $ 46
2 qts contact cement $25
2x's i had ,
I still need to pick up some bubblegum for the window replacement and trim , that i will stop and try to get today , also some Sikaflex 221, and fiberglass seam material for repairing the old to new

Where im at with it now ,
I removed the trim pieces and window and cleaned up the area with more to do before re installing it all , gota love black jack that people thought to use as a repair ,, Black Jack - worst product ever made , , but was well hidden under the attempted repair ,

I took my Router and cut the de-laminated spot out using the existing stud
for a guide below the window with above the window i had to cut with a grinder as the stud was off set ( will clean up the area once i fit the new filon sheet to the old ) , and i will sister in backing for these areas
What i see is there are no screws/ staples in the center of the backer board and only rubberized adhesive , as the filon and backer must be able to expand and contract allowing movement wile the edges are stapled
Over all its not going to be a difficult fix , once i get the correct material
to adhere to the studs ,

A fishing pole would be nice to have at this point as a can of worms i have on hand , as the more you look the more you find , as i now wish i would of bought more filon , but i will work with what i have on hand at this point ,it will be close ,

Photos coming soon once i get it done ,
well suns up time to cut the studs ,
Old 09-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update. I like your attitude - no lawyers, just roll up your sleeves and DIY. When you are done you will know exactly what you have. The hardest part is aways getting started.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:40 PM   #28

You might want to use Concrobium mold control before putting it back together. All the wood that was wet but not damaged is a good candidate. For replacing/repairing fiberglass, I found this website to be very helpful.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote