Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #15

Welcome to the forum and RV'ing!
I think there is some good advice in previous posts. For 25K you can get a bucket of worms or a peach someone is moving up from. Here's my advice, join a local camping club. Go to a couple of their gatherings and listen. Someone will stand out as a well informed and knowledgeable RV'er. Ask them if you can pick their brain. You will get a lot more good advice than you can get here in what someone can put in a couple of hundred words. When you find a unit, ask them what they think, then PAY a mobile RV tech to inspect it. The couple of hundred dollars will pay off in the long run either with a nice unit or one you stayed away from. Take your time and you will find one that fits your needs - good luck!
Palpatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 01:31 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Please understand that I offer the following for illustration only of how a quality 5th wheel can look after 9 years of ownership and use - we bought this 5th wheel new in August 2004. The attached photo was taken Memorial Day 2013 after we had been flocked with pink flamingoes (it's a Texas Boomers thing).

Rusty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Creekmore's Rig.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	211.7 KB
ID:	43348  
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
But the INSIDE !!!!

Oh, the horror, pink flamingo doodoo all over the inside !!!!

We have to make one of those rally's they are just planned when we already have plans so far !!!
Old 07-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
But the INSIDE !!!!

Oh, the horror, pink flamingo doodoo all over the inside !!!!
Only in the basement where they're stored!! The non-housebroken flamingoes are not allowed indoors.

Hope to see you at a rally soon...

Rusty
Old 07-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Check out PPL here in Texas. You might opt for a motor home instead of a 5ver. You can get some very nice rigs with low mileage for 25K Your dodge one ton will pull what you are contemplating. Only thing better would be a ford dually with the 7.3 diesel
jwyoming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwyoming View Post
Your dodge one ton will pull what you are contemplating. Only thing better would be a ford dually with the 7.3 diesel
Please, let's not get into brand wars. They really won't help the OP, aside from the fact that iRV2's Community Rules don't allow them.

Rusty
Old 07-31-2013, 02:01 PM   #21

Thanks for all the replies. I am enjoying reading all the replies. Eventually we plan on getting a larger dually truck. But that won't happen until we are full timers ( or at least 3/4 timers)
goofy4donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:05 PM   #22

Ok but look at the quality of fivers you bought.
Top of the line. Only one maybe Better maybe new horizon
and I think they are only custom.
Good job
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 02:07 PM   #23

Texas Boomers Club
Depending on age, these 5th wheels are available for ~$25K now - reference the Carriage Cameo the OP is looking at.

Rusty
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
My comment on the costs, etc. While I agree "Camping" can be expensive there are other ways. Don't know if you have interest in thinking about "camp hosting" or other ways to park free. We are currently parking free for a month in Oregon in a State Park. Our obligation: walk around the trails and develop a nice trail map - fun way to work. We use GPS on our phone and my wife is an artist. There are lots of ways to "work" while parking free - just Google is interested.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #25

I am not at all scared off by the cost. We can't take a ' real' vacation any where outside of Montana for less than 7k. We are looking at the cost of the rv as another vehicle and the trip cost as the vacation like expense. I enjoy reading all the tips. Keep them coming.
goofy4donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:28 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4donald View Post
Thanks for the reply. We have been doing our research and will continue to do so until we are set to buy. Our kids are getting older 16,13 and 9. So we aren't planning on a bunk house. We want something that can fit all 5 but aren't sure our 16 yo will even go with us. We will pull it with a 2007 dodge ram 3500 HD diesel.
Here's a bit of wisdom after raising 3 teenagers, plan on including their buddies/girlfriends/boyfriends in your travels, which makes a big RV even more cost-effective. I don't know your situation, but as our kids got older it became much more difficult to go on vacations together due to school, friends, sports, jobs, etc. The more you can bring along the better, you and the DH will have plenty of time to yourselves in just a few short years.
I like my FW toyhauler because the garage is only an air mattress away from being a bedroom, with that we have 3 queen size mattresses and a fold out couch for sleeping, plus I still have my tent and sleeping bags from the good old days. Or if it's just me and the DW, there's all that room in back for toys, etc.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:39 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just starting out in RVs it is much better to buy used. A new highend or low end depreciates like crazy. After 2 to 3 years you can get a nice high end for 60% of the cost of new, after 4 or 5 years, you get it for about 40% of new.

We have only had 4 new RVs in our life and the rest nice used ones. Seldom do you keep the 1st Rv for very long since you see what you like and do not like pretty soon and the itch starts to itch. With the used one you do not take such a depreciation hit when you sell after 2 or 3 years. The new ones had more problems that the used ones.

As for problems, I recommend a beginner hire an independent 3rd party inspector to check the unit over as part of the deal. Make sure you do not use an employee of the dealership; he must represent your interest. If the sell balks at your independent inspection, walk away. Typically you will spend $200 to $300 for an inspection to check all systems, look for leaks, etc.

We are on our second used Carriage Cameo. When looking, our short list was HitchHiker, Carriage and DRV Mobile Suites. The problem with these units in they are heavy and for a reason. They are built better than the lower end units.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #28

Here is another suggestion- If you live in a area that has a few campgrounds close by, drive through some of them and stop and question anybody that you see sitting enjoying the life style. We campers are a friendly lot and enjoy talking (bragging/complaining) about their RVs.