Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 08:25 AM   #15

Retired Fire Service RVer's
The Ohio Turnpike goes by weight classes, the 5er and truck must weigh more than the trailer and truck. Also it may be how you hit the scale plate when entering the toll gate. If you hit it at the speed that you would normally go through the toll booth, sometimes it will jump you up a class, this is why you see trucks barley creep up to the booths.
Frank

Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO toll roads are an extra tax imposed so politicians can spend taxes elsewhere. Time to tell your representative that you will not accept paying for infrastructure that is part of the responsibility under the current tax burden.

Old 10-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #17

Get an ezpass to get away from the axle count, it will only go by weight. I have seen class 2 on the way out and class 3 on the way back with no changes in configuration.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
The Ohio Turnpike goes by weight classes, the 5er and truck must weigh more than the trailer and truck. Also it may be how you hit the scale plate when entering the toll gate. If you hit it at the speed that you would normally go through the toll booth, sometimes it will jump you up a class, this is why you see trucks barley creep up to the booths.
Frank
Ohio does go by more than weight. The taller vehicle is bumped up a class. Check THIS PAGE and you will get an explanation about the tolls. I don't run the toll road if I can help it.
1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:01 PM   #19

Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpikes are stupidly expensive and worst of all in a state of bumpy disrepair. However nothing can beat the fleecing that takes place on Illinois toll roads. Prepare to empty your wallet at both ends and in between.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_bob View Post
I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.
As pointed out in a previous post. If your vehicle is over 7'6" you get bumped up to the next weight class. Many travel trailers are over 7'6" and would get charged the next up class. Last fall when I traveled from Toledo to Cleveland I was moved up one class because of height.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #21

Geez,,, What a Rip Off.... Charging for height ??? Guess I'll take my vacation money to other states.....
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 03:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Frank
I checked the OH turnpike website. To me it looks like they go by "silhouette" - axle count and profile, no mention of weight. Where they screwed me was the height over the second axle. My sloping front cap just barely exceeds 7'6" straight up from the pin I guess. That makes my toll the same as a 40' heavy motorhome (no tag axle) with a toad or a commercial 4 axle truck.

PA uses weight and axle count.

Screw the turnpike. I'll take a different route and keep the toll money in my pocket.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:01 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
As pointed out in a previous post. If your vehicle is over 7'6" you get bumped up to the next weight class. Many travel trailers are over 7'6" and would get charged the next up class. Last fall when I traveled from Toledo to Cleveland I was moved up one class because of height.
It's not just 7'6", it's where they measure it. I guess it's straight up from the 2nd axle. That just catches a 5'er.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:22 PM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Vehicle class and the corresponding toll is based on number of axles, and the height of the vehicles as measured above the first two axles.

The fiver will register as a Class 4, because when the height is measured over the first two axles, the fiver sits over axle #2 and pushes the height above 7' 6"

When a regular trailer is attached to a hitch, the height of the vehicle as measured over the first two axles doesn't exceed 7' 6".

If you run this route you might consider an EZpass.

Fare Calculator

Old 10-01-2016, 09:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Vehicle class and the corresponding toll is based on number of axles, and the height of the vehicles as measured above the first two axles.

The fiver will register as a Class 4, because when the height is measured over the first two axles, the fiver sits over axle #2 and pushes the height above 7' 6"

When a regular trailer is attached to a hitch, the height of the vehicle as measured over the first two axles doesn't exceed 7' 6".

If you run this route you might consider an EZpass.

Fare Calculator

Yeah, I wonder what genius wrote those specs. Did they mean to penalize 5'ers?

I'm checking into an EZpass from Mass. Less cost than one from Ohio.

As a parting note, why will Kentucky never fall down into Tennessee?
Old 10-02-2016, 06:16 AM   #26

Retired Fire Service RVer's
MnTom,
Thank you for that info, I wonder when they changed the rules, I lived in Ohio all my life not too far from the Turnpike, It always went by weight unless you were oversize(above 13'6"). Learn something new every day.
Again thank you for the new info,
Frank
Franka548 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:40 AM   #27

Quote:
I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?
The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.
jim_bob
I believe toll charges in every state are based on the number of axles, (not the length, weight, width or height).
Old 10-02-2016, 07:06 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Yeah, I wonder what genius wrote those specs. Did they mean to penalize 5'ers?

I'm checking into an EZpass from Mass. Less cost than one from Ohio.

As a parting note, why will Kentucky never fall down into Tennessee?
Check Delaware too. When I go my EZ Pass they had a promotion going on. Got the EZ Pass for free by setting up an account with $25.00.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat