Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 07:22 PM   #1

Ohio Turnpike cheats 5'ers

I just discovered that the Ohio Turnpike charges a higher toll for a pickup truck towing a fifth wheel trailer than for a pickup truck towing a travel trailer. From one side of the state to the other the toll is $42.25 vs $35.75. Yes, both are too high. This doesn't seem right. Has anyone else noticed this?

The higher toll is not because of length or weight. I'm calling the Turnpike Commission of Monday to see who I can b*tch at.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
don't go on that road and go another way ?

If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #3

There are other roads in the area but they're full of towns and traffic lights. The turnpike is faster. I don't like the toll but I really don't like the toll difference.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #4
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Same number of axles?
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Same number of axles?
Yes, 4 axles total. 2 for truck, 2 for trailer.
Old 09-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
RVM99

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Sounds like a valid reason to complain then. Seems odd.
bokobird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:20 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If I had to guess I would guess the difference is because fifth wheels are viewed by the tollway as tractor trailer type rigs, they weigh considerably more than a travel trailer. Not saying it's right, but it's all in how they classify things.

We have traveled US30 across Ohio and it's not too bad. It can get a bit snaky near the OH/PA line but all in all it added just a couple hours to our trip.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
If I had to guess I would guess the difference is because fifth wheels are viewed by the tollway as tractor trailer type rigs, they weigh considerably more than a travel trailer. Not saying it's right, but it's all in how they classify things...
Good guess but a 5'er lighter than a travel trailer can be be accessed a higher toll.

I found the reason. It's not weight. The OT has "low vehicle" and "high vehicle". The cutoff is 7'6". "Low vehicle" is class 3. "High vehicle" is class 4. The height is measured above the 2nd axle. It seems our front cap is maybe 1" too far forward.

My mission is to find if the OT intended to push 5'ers into a higher class or if they just screwed up with their definitions.

I'm retired. I have time to complain!
Old 09-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
JDT

We traveled from Boston to Buffalo a couple of years ago on our way to Niagara Falls. The New York stretch of the turnpike was about $60. We were told it was based on our height so Ohio is not the only state with that method. In Oklahoma it is strictly based on number of axles.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #10

I guess each state is different. PA Turnpike charges by weight + axle count. They charge $20 for the first 30 miles eastbound from Ohio.

My gripe is how Ohio measures the height and what their intentions are. That and I don't like Ohio.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:08 PM   #11

Just remember when you go through Illinois, back in the 1950's when they floated the bonds to build the tollways they promised to turn them into freeways when the bonds were paid off in the 1980's. They're still tollways, can you imagine that. I mean they promised, if you can't trust your elected politicians who can you trust. Especially an Illinois elected official.

Steve
Old 09-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geocritter View Post
Just remember when you go through Illinois, back in the 1950's when they floated the bonds to build the tollways they promised to turn them into freeways when the bonds were paid off in the 1980's. They're still tollways, can you imagine that. I mean they promised, if you can't trust your elected politicians who can you trust. Especially an Illinois elected official.

Steve

Yes, especially the ones who are not in prison now.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 09-30-2016, 10:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
What fries my bacon is the toll for a motorcycle and popup trailer is the same as a car or truck pulling a single axle utility trailer.
Old 09-30-2016, 10:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
What fries my bacon is the toll for a motorcycle and popup trailer is the same as a car or truck pulling a single axle utility trailer.

How about 3.70 for 4 miles here in the Denver area for just a car.

Tags
heat