Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #15

Complaints on the MS oil-bath bearings have centered around leaks--wrong seals, inferior seals, whatever.
MS no longer supplies them standard. But I have to believe it wasn't the bearings but quality of the seal/seal seat that caused the leaks.
KENSCOMET
There is a lot of info on the SOITC website, but unfortunately it has been down for a couple of days. Much discussion about the oil-bath bearings and what some have done to get the correct seals.
Joe

'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2015, 08:58 PM   #16

Thanks that is what I wanted to hear

Old 05-17-2015, 09:11 PM   #17

Oil bath bearings would be my choice as easier to inspect the level and condition of the lube, also, any bearing flaking or moisture is easily noticed.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #18

I had oil bath bearings a couple coaches ago, they most likely are what everyone says they are. My experience may be the exception, but I had a seal leak out while traveling, the oil leaked out and the hub failed within minutes. I know this because I noticed the new leak (I actually caused it by attempting to put fresh oil in it and the seal never re-sealed on the front hub cover), figured I could top it off and make the 50 trip home but no dice. Once the oil leaks out you have just minutes to failure of the hub. So it's been grease for me since. I was an early adopter they may have improved since then but it only takes 1 episode of a wheel falling off for me to move on.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:08 PM   #19

For that situation applying grease would have been the only chance of making it to home.
Yes there is no warning signs and quick failure occur. We operated greased bearings submerged in water for years with no failures. I had put my job on the line in other to get my idea applied and I was confident with proper maintaining of grease in the bearings it would work. Water will not get in when filed with grease. But an oiled bearing will fail in an instant when water as small as a few drops is mixed in the oil.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Oil bath bearings would be my choice as easier to inspect the level and condition of the lube, also, any bearing flaking or moisture is easily noticed.
What should the level be
Old 06-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenscomet View Post
What should the level be

Bottom of fill plug hole.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:53 AM   #22
paz

We had oil bath bearings on the front of the motorhome we had previously. They were completely trouble free. However, I read a lot of discussion about leaks with oil bath bearings in 5th wheels, specifically on Mobile Suites. My understanding is DRV has gone away from oil bath bearings in units being manufactured now. Our DRV Tradition built last January does not have them.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #23

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Most of the problems that people have with oil bath is that they either put the wrong seals in or they are improperly installed.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:34 PM   #24

All I know on our 12in bearings, grease was the solution to keep a failing bearing in oil, for years longer. I will use grease where the speed is within range for speed. Trailer wheels are well in range.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:00 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Look for level markings.......stemco hubs have oil level lines on them and should not be filled to the plug.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:00 PM   #26

Has anyone changed the bearing lube to synthetic such as Amsoil? I once read where one should not mix synthetic grease with mineral grease. I'm thinking of draining the regular oil and filling with Amsoil, but wondering if the system should also be flushed.
1999 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab SB, SRW, V-10, 4.30 Limited Slip, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Borla Headers & Exhaust, K&N Filter, BF Goodrich Velvet Ride Shackles , Turbowing, Power Programer, Amsoil By-Pass Oil Filtering System.
LIKENIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post

All the ones I've had including the new ones I had installed on a Monaco Exec last year have a full mark well below the plug hole. If you over fill it expect it to leak sooner rather than later.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 09-09-2016, 11:42 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKENIT View Post
Has anyone changed the bearing lube to synthetic such as Amsoil? I once read where one should not mix synthetic grease with mineral grease. I'm thinking of draining the regular oil and filling with Amsoil, but wondering if the system should also be flushed.
You can mix them. That statement goes along with "You cannot put synthetic in an older high mileage engine". I am running synthetic through out my truck and as of right now it is 200 miles shy of 300,000 miles. Didn't switch over until almost 200,000 miles. It still does not use enough between oil changes to even think about adding any.
Oh, on edit, Amsoil is good stuff, but there are a lot less expensive alternatives out there, and yes, I used to be an Amsoil dealer.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is online now   Reply With Quote