Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-11-2015, 03:21 PM   #1
OK I'm stumped Who can help

Fort Myers. My friend has an older FR Sandpiper 5th wheel. Water has penetrated the bedroom slide and destroyed the floor in the slide. We have it cleaned out and can replace the bad wood.

Problem, we cannot determine how the Hydraulic system pushes the slide out or in. The push rod under the bed is connected to a perpendicular piece of angle iron. There were 4 bolts through the angle iron but the wood attached to them was rotted to the point we couldn't determine how it connected to the slide. It appeared each bolt had a piece of wood either 1/2 or 5/8 inches thick attached as a spacer. The bolts were too short to go through the slide floor. Anybody have knowledge of how this might be connected? I'm gonna try and attach a couple pics from under the bed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8737a.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	83145   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8738a.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	83146  

Stanley Z, Beautiful Sharpsburg Ga.
2014 Ford F350 DRW with a little bling
2005 DRV Mobile Suites 36TK3
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2015, 05:51 PM   #2
Wild guess on my part--I think your 'spacers' used to be a piece of wood that was bolted to the angle iron while also attached to the floor of the slide?? If the hydraulic ram moves the angle iron in/out, the board that ended up looking like a spacer moved with the iron, and since it was attached to the floor of the slide, the slide would move.
Any sign of where such a piece of wood would have been fixed to the floor of the slide? Any staples seen comeing down from the floor area?
Best I can think of...
By the way, ever find your old truck?

'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Yep i think you got it. What I didn't know yesterday was that my friend had tried to move the slide in with no results. That moved the ram in about a foot. It was really attached out near the outer wall where the floor was completely destroyed. So we now think it was just bolted to the floor and we will procede on that basis. Should have repair completed tomorrow. Thanks for the responses. BTW if you found this thread while searching for info Google RV slide repair and there is an excellent U Tube video on the subject.
stanleyz is offline   Reply With Quote