Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2011, 04:19 PM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jererp View Post
IR heat gun is a little anal retentive....but I like it! May have to go shopping for one.
Harbor Frieght has them $29.95

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2011, 01:12 AM   #16

Not sitting level might seem to present a couple problems ie too high and the weight is not enough on the rear wheels of the truck which would seem to reduce traction when towing. Too low and it would tend to put too much weight on the rear of the truck which in turn would raise the front end which may give you steering problems . . . .

Fortunately and by sheer luck my new rig sat perfectly level right off the bat with the hitch at it's lowest position.

Old 07-12-2011, 06:54 PM   #17

Hi all

I have tried only one method for leveling my trailer for tow, I used the front jacks to raise/lower until I got measurements on the front of the camper to the ground and the rear of the camper to the ground..still got alot of " chucking ". Is this not a good way to level for tow? If I go by the front and rear bubble level I still need to raise it up quite a bit. Also i'm curious if anyone here as heard any pros/cons about the ShockerHitch Adaptor? Is it worth the $$$ for ride comfort?
Is it better to have the front a bit high or a bit low...or is it just a matter of preference?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #18

Long Hauler it is best if the 5er sits level, within reason of course, which I intrepret as within 2" of level from end to end. The full pin weight must be resting on the truck when you take measurements because the truck will "settle" about 2" or more on its rear axle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
Measure from the frame to the ground to get proper leveling measurements. The suspension of your trailer is mounted to the frame, not the floor.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #20

Excel Owners Club
After adjusting the kingpin and axle positions on my 5th wheel, the front end was just a little low. I installed a set of Firestone Airbags on my truck. They don't increase my truck's capacity; I use them strictly for raising or lowering the rear end. The airbag limit is 100 psi. It only took about 10 psi and the trailer is now perfectly level.
gdbontly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:17 AM   #21

Your pin box on the trailer should be adjustable.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:51 AM   #22

It appears I have only two sets of holes, so will have to try move it down to the last set and see if that raises my up as much as I think it should be, I leave this coming saturday, and just have not had time to do much, still have to insure it and get the propane tanks filled.
Want to hook up and see what the frame says if I put a level on it underneath and see how much I have to adjust for level.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #23

Okay, lowered the pin box, raised the hitch, and now here is before and after, I now have a touch over 12" between fifth wheel and truck box.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #24

Here is how the pin box looks now.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:46 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jererp View Post
IR heat gun is a little anal retentive....but I like it! May have to go shopping for one.
I think it would be interesting to check the temps on all four tires with the trailer uneven.

I use an IR gun for my tire temps, rearend temp and brake temps.

I check every time I stop. Good walk around exercise too.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Heat Gun

I use a IR Heat Gun too> I got it at Harbor freight for $29
Mel
Old 07-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #27

To me the main thing is to make sure that you have 6 to 8 inches of clearance between the bed rails and the underside of the 5er. If not it will get expensive when you go over a rise or dip in the road.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #28

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman44 View Post
To me the main thing is to make sure that you have 6 to 8 inches of clearance between the bed rails and the underside of the 5er. If not it will get expensive when you go over a rise or dip in the road.
Well I ended up with 12" clearance.
Here is a pic.