Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:32 AM   #1

Question Okay, how level when towing fifth wheel??

My first couple of fifth wheels were never really level, now of course with this newer 2004 fifth wheel the dealer said it looked good when we drove it home, but to me it was not real level, but pretty close.
Now I am wondering how fussy should I be?
Should I hook up to truck again in driveway and adjust pin box down and my hitch up a bit at a time and stop when the floor of fifth wheel says it is level or do you go by something else being level?
I have three holes I can move my hijacker up, it is at the bottom now I believe, and the pin box is in the top set of holes, there is two bolts each side for a total of four bolts, and there is only the two sets of holes, so I can only drop it the one set.
So how fussy does one have to be?
This should be a picture of it when we just got it home, and I believe was still hitched, empty of course.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #2

I prefer to have the front a couple of inches low. Better airflow, and IMO, it pulls better.

AZgl1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #3

I like to make sure that I have 6 to 7 inches of clearance between the bed rails and the underside of the 5er. If I have this and I am a little high then that's OK.
I have also weighed my truck and 5er together and the weights are with in spec for my Dodge.
Jim W.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:26 AM   #4

If the trailer isn't level, then it is not loading the trailer axles evenly, which may lead to overloading one set of tires which increases the risks of blowouts.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawildman View Post
If the trailer isn't level, then it is not loading the trailer axles evenly, which may lead to overloading one set of tires which increases the risks of blowouts.

I agree.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawildman View Post
With the typical leaf-sprung arrangement, if one is within the operating range of the equalizers, this isn't an issue. The equalizers, as their name implies, equalize the load between the trailer axles. That's why they're there.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #7

Trailers tow better when they are level. Sitting on level concrete your trailer should ideally be within 1" of level. Our 5er used to sit 3" front-high, no solution except to install a spacer between axles and springs. When I needed new tires I bought larger, higher rated ones. Then- had a 1.5" spacer put between axle and spring. Now it rides level. Towing all day is much more relaxing and there is less "chucking".
Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Trailers tow better when they are level. Sitting on level concrete your trailer should ideally be within 1" of level. Our 5er used to sit 3" front-high, no solution except to install a spacer between axles and springs. When I needed new tires I bought larger, higher rated ones. Then- had a 1.5" spacer put between axle and spring. Now it rides level. Towing all day is much more relaxing and there is less "chucking".
X2
Doug
2006 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4X2 PSD 6.0 TorqShift Automatic Transmission. Upfitter Switchers Chrome Door Handles, Oxford White with lower part being Arizona Beige Metallic. Creative Coating Sprayed in bed liner (local Company in Little Rock AR) 2
WD40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 AM   #9

I think, if your not level, either the front or rear tires on the 5er are going to run hotter than the other two. This is a concern if your in the southwestern states in the hot summer month.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:36 AM   #10

As I stated above I am more concerned about clearance with my bed rails and the under side of the 5er. I will adjust the hitch and the king pin box so I have 6 to 7 inches of clearance. This may or may not put the nose of the camper a little nose high. To me this is OK if it is. The suspension is designed to allow for equal loading on both axles do to the equalizers that support the leaf springs.
I also check my tire and brake temps at every rest stop and will continue to do so with an IR heat gun. I monitor the tire temps along with air pressure every time we are out. The same side tires and brakes will have the same temps. Now the kitchen side maybe up 2 degs more then the non kitchen side in temps through.
Jim W.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #11

IR heat gun is a little anal retentive....but I like it! May have to go shopping for one.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #12

Question

Okay, went out and started loading stuff into the fifth wheel, to try and get an idea how we want it packed when we go in July for two weeks.

Anyway the top of hitch in truck is at 47" and the fifth wheel king pin plate is sitting at 51" so have a difference of 4" or so, now I did look at the level indicators the dealer stuck on that I wanted, and they indicate level but it is not if I go by putting a carpenters level on the floor, so will have to lower the front to make floor level then measure again as the front will have to go lower to make inside floor level.

But am wondering if for checking level when towing should I not go by the frame underneath as that would then be making sure the trailer frame is level which means the load should be equal on the tires?
Or am I being to picky?

I too bought an IR thermometer a while back.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman01 View Post
But am wondering if for checking level when towing should I not go by the frame underneath as that would then be making sure the trailer frame is level which means the load should be equal on the tires?
Does your trailer suspension have equalizers? If it has leaf springs, it almost certainly does. If the equalizers are within their operating range, the load on the axles will be equal regardless of slight variations in level.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #14

Yes, I have tandem axles with leaf springs.
So yes there are equalizers.