Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #15

Have pulled a TT but never owned a 5er. I watch folks (older in particular) pull into campgrounds with a 5er or TT and think to myself "Sure glad I don't have to go through that performance every time we park".
Class A with Toad is a whole lot easier. For me anyway.

Dennis & Carol
2003, 4006, 41' DutchStar, Spartan, ISC 8.3L W/BanksPower - 2013 Honda CRV, BlueOx Baseplate, Aventa Bar & Patriot Brake. And the 04 Bird, Sunshine Car.
dennis45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #16
Honestly, I don't think age has as much to do with it as does personal preference. It takes 5 steps to get into our Excel, the same it took to get into the 05 HR Ambassador dp we had for 7 years. From a pure physical exertion standpoint I really don't see much difference. With good equipment hooking up to a fiver can be as easy and maybe quicker than hooking to a toad. I had a few experiences with the tow bar getting in a bind and that did wear me out. Backing may be a bit easier with a motorhome but I don't have any problems and with either one as the physical exertion involves turning the steering wheel. Leveling is another thing but with the auto level becoming more common on fifth wheels things are more on par with a motorhome. Just push a button and stand back. Ours usually does its thing in less than 2 minutes.

When we had the motorhome going down the road was better for the wife because of the freedom she had to move around. Didn't help me because I was stuck behind the wheel, just like I am in the truck. There are many advantages and disadvantages which have been debated to the hilt but we have owned 2 motorhomes, 5 fifth wheels and 2 pop-ups in our 44 years of marriage and we prefer a good truck and fifth wheel. We can get a whole lot more bang for our buck and have found maintenance and repair expenses to be far less. Leaves us more money for travel which is the reason we buy these things to begin with.

2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM
2015 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4X4 dually
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:06 PM   #17
+1 on JDT.

One thing I've noticed, which may just be perception, is that it seems MH owners tend to travel more, while 5th Wheel owners seem to park and stay more. Just an observation when going down the road and at various parks. The MH looks like it could be driven off with 15 mins of tear-down, but some of the 5ers have skirts around the hitch and look a bit more settled.

I know I'm often envious of those huge 5th wheel living areas when I see them at RV shows... walk-around kitchen islands, huge living areas etc. However, when I'm driving I do enjoy the high-altitude view out the big windshield and my wife loves to be able to get up and use the bath, kitchen etc.

As our travel style changes, we may change RVs. Right now (non-retired) we are more into trips and less into longer-term stays.
Ed & Joie
2004 Vectra 40KD
Freightliner Chassis and Cummins ISC
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:14 PM   #18
Hmmmm. Good question. I am only 70 so I will have to let you know which I prefer after I get old.
Paul, Kathy, and Tux a 4 month Mini Schnauzer
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 42 LH, 2013 Honda CRV
"When the time comes to look back, make sure you'll like what you see"
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
I think it has a lot to do with your lifestyle and type of travel. If you are retired and tend to stay in one place for a week or two, a 5th wheel may work. I think they require more physical effort than a motorhome. I am still working full time and our trips are fast paced and we don't stay in one place more than 3-4 days. We recently went from a 5th wheel to a motorhome for many of the reasons listed above. I felt like I was beating myself up with the 5th wheel because we move around so much.

I know many high end 5th wheels have a lot of the same conveniences with auto level-up, and electric and water hose reels. It just seems like everything is harder to reach on a 5th wheel than it is with the MH. The dump valves were located below a slide. I either had to work under the slide or wait until it was packed up and ready to go to dump and flush the tanks. Unhooking the toad is much easier than unhooking the 5th wheel. I never unhooked it on the road until we got to our destination. Now we automatically unhook the F150 before we enter a park, unless it's just a quick overnight. We even unhooked it at a state park entrance to scope out the facility before driving in.

Pulling the 5th wheel, the dogs were in the back seat, and after about 8-10 hours things were getting a little ripe. Stopping for potty brakes, lunch, and other things seemed like more of a hassle. If we were in very hot weather, more often than not, we had to take the dogs out of the truck, put them in the 5th wheel, start the genny and AC's, in order to walk into a grocery store or restaurant.

We loved our 5th wheel and are going to miss a few things like having the garage and the patio with a full size Weber gas grill. We entertained and cooked for 20+ people many times, at the races. It was a very positive experience for us, overall.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #20
I want to move from a fifth wheel to a Class A. Does this mean I am old? Brian M, what are you thinking about trading?
02camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #21
I have given this alot of thought

But the deciding factor for me is how often I would use it...A close friend of mind has a diesel pusher MH...He and his wife purchased it new 6 years ago and for the 1st 2 years traveling with it 9 months a year...Then the next couple years it sat for months at a time without moving...It started using engine oil and got worse as time went by...Finally he took it to a diesel mechanic to have the oil consumption problem investigated...The mechanic did a compression test on the engine and it was down on all 6 cylinders...This was the reason he was burning so much oil...The mechanic told him more then likely grooves have formed in the engine cylinder walls due to setting in one spot and not moving...The engine rebuild cost him $12,000...Now back to me,my wife and I travel from April-October in our 5th wheel it is large and a higher end model...I tow it with a 1 ton DW truck and use the truck on a weekly bases when not camping...So with that being said I think I will stick with my 5th wheel for a couple more years...
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #22
Cost plane and simple. If my truck breaks down I can generally fix it reasonably. If a MH breaks down, towing alone could break me financially. Replacement tires for my truck might cost me 1500 dollars, but that could be themprice for just two MH tires. Then there is upkeep. One drive train vs two means way more cost even if you do oil changes yourself it is still about double the cost.
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 02:39 PM   #23
Another story about MHs

I had an Excel 35FLE and just recently traded it in, Great RV btw...I had it in shop a few years ago, I had an A/C and a couple other small problems fixed...Well we had reservation for 10 days at our favorite campground in the same time period the Excel was getting repaired...So I leased a 37' diesel Class"A" for those ten days while the Excel was getting repaired...I didn't like the way it handled and the noise from our belongings rattling while we were driving was so annoying...This wasn't a Marathon mind you but it was a well equipped midpriced Class"A"...
Old 02-13-2015, 02:54 PM   #24
Originally Posted by 02camp View Post
I want to move from a fifth wheel to a Class A. Does this mean I am old? Brian M, what are you thinking about trading?
Gentlemen I would advise you to rent one for a weekend prior to making the plunge and buying one...Once you sign on the dotted line its yours...
Old 02-13-2015, 03:10 PM   #25

Originally Posted by xydial View Post
Class A DP for us. Wife likes the ability to use the bathroom, refer and take a sofa nap while underway. I prefer the ease of backing and setting up the MH.

And Molly the dog really enjoys the ability move around while travelling!!!!
Yep, we have a rolling bathroom, snack bar, kennel and exercise station, all in one. DW would never settle for anything less.

Years ago we could do otherwise, but age has her needing things right now, so we have a MH and are happy.
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #26
What age are you calling as being "OLD"?
I would say its more how physically able you remain .I say that being 2 months away from 66 and still run service calls at my AC business,not near as fast as I did when I was a young 60
I do admit hooking up our 5er is getting a little harder but that's cause I must get up in my truck bed to connect cord .keep meaning to get that moved further back.
We have had pop-up, bumper pull,MH,& 5er and have preferred the 5er so far.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #27
I'll be 60 this year. Are there anyone out there my age with a 5er that like it better than a class A?????
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:45 PM   #28
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I just like not having to leave my MH while traveling fueling up at
1400 miles and home cooking anywhere anytime...

Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, hwh