Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #29
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Modern full-time 5ers are all hydraulic automatic push button setup. The electric, water, sewer hook ups and appliances are all the same. 5ers are easier to heat and cool. You get more valve per square foot of living space in a 5er. Yup im a 5er fan.

chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 06:46 PM   #30
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
I'll be 60 this year. Are there anyone out there my age with a 5er that like it better than a class A?????
I like both. I like living in the 5er as much as the MH when parked. This is an estimation as the MH is 10 years newer than the 5er and had better features like a residential fridge and aquahot.

Where the MH excells is during travel. Would not care to travel in a truck and 5er compared to the MH.

Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:47 PM   #31
I am 66

I have never owned a class"A"my 5th wheel is loaded 6 point auto leveling...Trailair pin and axel suspension,dual heatpumps slide toppers it pretty much has it all...I do know a class"A"diesel pusher loaded like my 5th wheel,and that is built as well would cost +$250,000 and would not have as much room...Hitching and unhitching the truck from the coach is not difficuit for me at all....
suiteowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:04 PM   #32
As I read this I see that people are moving around even laying down etc.. while traveling in their Class A. I thought you should be buckled up at all times. Would hate to be laying down and have an emergency stop and go flying around.
For me a 5th wheel is the way to go, less expensive and you are using your tow vehicle as your daily driver, instead of letting your MH sit while not traveling.
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:33 PM   #33
KZ RV Club
We've had two class A's and two 5th Wheels. We are in our 70s but very agile. We mainly travel in the winter, from Wisconsin to Texas and park for three months. On the road the class A is somewhat more convenient for all of the reasons that have been listed. But, once we are parked, we love the 5th wheel. We have auto leveling, tons of storage and living space and could easily live in it full time. The cost of upkeep was our initial reason for getting rid of our DP but now we really do like all the room we have. When on the road we tend to forget it is behind us as there is no buffeting like there was in the class A from wind or when a semi passes and it is nice to not hear pots and pans clanking or stove burners rattling when traveling down the road. It wouldn't be for everyone as there are four steps to get in and then of course the usual two more to get to the bath & bedroom. As I've said before, different strokes for different folks. We all have to go with what works for us and enjoy it!

Deon & Jim Spangler
KZ 2015 Goldrush, Chevy 2015 3/4 ton Silverado
Deon-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:53 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a class A DP. We love it, but we move around. If we get a notion to move, we move. If we where going to sit somewhere a couple of months or longer, then move and sit somewhere else a long time we might consider a FW. The only downside is being fulltimers, we love our small car to run around places.
40 FT--330HP CAT
2 SLIDES-TOAD 2012 focus
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 02:17 AM   #35
I just went class A for the opposite reason. Just me and the wife, we loved the 5th wheel. Now with a kid he gets too restless in the car seat on trips so we went to a class A. He's happier so we're happier
RBabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:05 AM   #36
Thor Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
We just bought a MH but really looked at and liked the 5th wheels we looked at. For us it came down to having to purchase a truck to tow with also since we did not already have one. It may have been different if we had had the truck.
2015 Challenger 37GT
TheMrB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 11:17 AM   #37
Everyone above is right. Motorhomes are great and Fifth Wheels are great. I think a lot depends on budget and lifestyle.
A good 5'ver is a much better value than a coach. You can pull it with your truck and use the truck as an every day driver in the mean time.
Motorhomes bleed money, from depreciation to maintenance expenses (especially DP's). And you're not getting any use out of anything while it's sitting.
I currently own a motorhome and love the advantages of everything previously mentioned. For long trips across the country, the motorhome wins out for me. It's so easy to just stop, hit the levelers, fire up the genny (if you need to) and relax.
For a single destination at an extended time, a fifth wheel is the better choice IMO. My Jayco Designer I had previously did not have auto levelers so it was a much bigger chore to get set up. Most of the newer upper end rigs have Big Foot levelers now so that would not be an issue. Also, a 5'ver is easier to heat/cool without the giant glass windshield in the front with more room without the cabin.
I think a lot just depends on your lifestyle. If you're retired and can take long tour type trips, the motorhome is the best bet IMO. If you're still working with a family and just take yearly vacations, a 5'ver is probably best.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #38
Thx hicksRA
Brian M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:08 PM   #39
Thor Owners Club
We love our 5er and I use the truck for a lot of chores around the house. Although its not a daily rider we get good use out of it. Probably would enjoy a MH when we are retired.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 03:45 AM   #40
MHnu him d

I can't afford a MH.
We bought a new 40 ft full profile 5th wheel 6 years ago and the 10 year old truck is all paid for. If the truck breaks down, there are plenty to replace it. We will have an other new 5th wheel trailer in 9 years. All my friends with MH spend as mush as we do on theirs and still have 15 year old units. No I love the peace of mind of truck and trailer. Set up has not been any concern for the past 23 years. I choose to have everything manual for cost and freedom. Nothing like failed equipment to ruin a trip. So fare nothing has failed us in 23 years.
We travel with both the truck and the car. The car with us gives us 2 vehicles in the south for the winter. I go to my things and she can go her way. We did 187000 kilometer on the car in 5 years and 100000 kilometer on the truck in 8 years. It sure pays to have the car along.
When we cannot travel with both we plan on having one stored in the south. We already have 2 convertible sitting at home now.
A friend just arrived at the park with a newer used MH and has been doing repairs to it ever since. Was told to replace the fridge while the manufacturer guided him to find a failed fuse.
Old units scares me and I surely can't afford a new one.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #41
Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
For travel Class A DP for me mine drives like a car fast set up and leaving we travel mostly pulling a HHR toad ...
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 04:28 PM   #42
For me, the grass is always greener. There's benefits for both and right now the class A DP's are on my dream board. =)

2016 Anthem 44B - Go Blue!
2014 Jeep Rubicon
Making memories, one day at a time!
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote

class a, hwh