Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
No, the on demand will use more LP. However, the savings will appear IF you always leave your tank WH on 24/7 and it is always heating water. That is it heating water just for it to later cool off.
So, only an LP issue? If I use 120 all the time, no savings?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
So, only an LP issue? If I use 120 all the time, no savings?
The Atwood's are LP only, AFAIK.
Just quick research makes me think the Girard and PrecisionTemp models are LP only also.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
THAT makes more sense. Thanks! \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
The Atwood's are LP only, AFAIK. Just quick research makes me think the Girard and PrecisionTemp models are LP only also.
Thanks.

The upside is primarily for boondockers, I guess.

I have plenty of hot water.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Had an on demand in the 5er we just traded- loved it and the wife will probably be complaining when we leave Sat for 9 days that she can't take those long showers anymore !

We did not notice much more use of propane and I'm not sure there is any quantitative evidence either way of more or less use... after all the old hot water heater had to keep it hot 24/7 whereas the on demand only comes on when you need it... and it was instantaneous on ours... no running the water before you get in... took maybe 3 seconds to come up to temps...
Old 10-24-2013, 09:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Had an on demand in the 5er we just traded- loved it and the wife will probably be complaining when we leave Sat for 9 days that she can't take those long showers anymore ! We did not notice much more use of propane and I'm not sure there is any quantitative evidence either way of more or less use... after all the old hot water heater had to keep it hot 24/7 whereas the on demand only comes on when you need it... and it was instantaneous on ours... no running the water before you get in... took maybe 3 seconds to come up to temps...
Is it installed at each faucet? Otherwise, how could it be instantaneous? I wait 7 or 8 seconds with my standard HWH. What the heck?

Explanations please. How much investment?

Wait wait! Is this one of those gotta have toy bling things?

Okay. I got it. Just bling.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of our members here "Dry" installed one in his Class A and seems to love it...
See: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...ml#post1423245
And
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f120/i-lo...ml#post1420132

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:44 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Parents had a European house unit installed in their 1958 KenCraft when it was built. Worked pretty well in that 18' rig with just the sink and shower. One problem was that it had special metric breakaway screws to protect the unit from freezing and my father didn't drain it well enough. Ever try to find even metric screws, let alone the special ones in the late 50's or early 60's? They weren't common and these had special shoulders on them too.

Our present DSDP has the electric/gas/engine heated WH. Not sure the instant WH would save us anything over the long run. We have hot water as we travel, hot water when we arrive (in fact it's too hot) and hot water when parked. For showers I can turn on the propane as well as the electric and have all we need/want.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #23

Thor Owners Club
I wouldn't get the value for the tankless system as we don't boondock. If we did I would definitely be getting one of these units. I remember some time ago folks were complaining that they couldn't adjust the temp on the Girard units....I'm guessing that's been sorted out?
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Is it installed at each faucet? Otherwise, how could it be instantaneous? I wait 7 or 8 seconds with my standard HWH. What the heck? You caught me with hyperbole ! - instant in that quick enough for us in the shower that was like two feet from the unit

Explanations please. How much investment? Came in the RV, so dunno how much...

Wait wait! Is this one of those gotta have toy bling things? Not to us..

Okay. I got it. Just bling. maybe for you
And it was a Girard unit that the company came into town and updated for free --- the biggest trick I learned was to make sure ALL air was out of ALL lines in your ssytem - even the ones to the washer we didn't have
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
I was asking opinions since I am getting an older 5er and I haven't seen the tank condition yet, but anything to remove something that will be lugging water or may even have problems, is worth it to me, I won't have the extra weight to tow either
Since I am just one person, I don't see the sense in keeping the hot water constantly on (whether it is Lp or electric, ) to use it for about an hour in the evening, and a few times during the day to wash hands etc.
I feel it will conserve my LP and not waste power) and for me it makes sense on many levels...

Some places I will be staying for the winter charge for electric use,,, the less I have to pay the better!!

Here is the ad and the site so you can read the whole blurb for yourselves.

heahttp://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-water-heaters/rv-tankless-water-ter.htm

these are some of the reasons I will get a tankless system, that and because I have experienced it in a 2 1/2 bathroom home with 4 children and 3 adults ... they NEVER rum out of hot water
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
I was asking opinions since I am getting an older 5er and I haven't seen the tank condition yet, but anything to remove something that will be lugging water or may even have problems, is worth it to me, I won't have the extra weight to tow either
Since I am just one person, I don't see the sense in keeping the hot water constantly on (whether it is Lp or electric, ) to use it for about an hour in the evening, and a few times during the day to wash hands etc.
I feel it will conserve my LP and not waste power) and for me it makes sense on many levels...

Some places I will be staying for the winter charge for electric use,,, the less I have to pay the better!!

Here is the ad and the site so you can read the whole blurb for yourselves.

heahttp://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-water-heaters/rv-tankless-water-ter.htm

these are some of the reasons I will get a tankless system, that and because I have experienced it in a 2 1/2 bathroom home with 4 children and 3 adults ... they NEVER rum out of hot water
This is very smart thinking...upgrade instead of repair. I will be doing the same thing some day...have a whole house tankless water heater in the studs and stucco home - it saves us 70% on our gas bill!!!

I see 3 basic options from this thread - price is based on BTU rating:
Girard, 18K - 36K BTU's
RV Tankless Water Heater from Girard - PPL Motor Homes
Atwood, 45K-50K BTU's
Atwood RV On-Demand Water Heater - PPL Motor Homes
Precision Temp, 55K BTU's
RV-500 Tankless Water Heater - PrecisionTemp

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:58 PM   #27

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
This is very smart thinking...upgrade instead of repair. I will be doing the same thing some day...have a whole house tankless water heater in the studs and stucco home - it saves us 70% on our gas bill!!!

I see 3 basic options from this thread - price is based on BTU rating:
Girard, 18K - 36K BTU's
RV Tankless Water Heater from Girard - PPL Motor Homes
Atwood, 45K-50K BTU's
Atwood RV On-Demand Water Heater - PPL Motor Homes
Precision Temp, 55K BTU's
RV-500 Tankless Water Heater - PrecisionTemp

Best luck
Thanks, some of these are a bit high for me and I called the supplier in Tx but shipping would be awful, so am going to call parent company to see what's what in canukville!

there are less expensive models around and they are made for RVs (so they say on Ebay and the company name is right on the produce (Mornay or Moreay.. ) I will be calling them too to see what is with their product,
I have not finished investigating yet ... will keep in touch!
Enokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #28

We are fulltime.
We never run out of hot water.
It is not an expense to us on 120V.
We burn less than 30 gallons of LPG/yr.
Our rig is 2 years old so no need.

Tags
water