Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Thanks, some of these are a bit high for me and I called the supplier in Tx but shipping would be awful, so am going to call parent company to see what's what in canukville!

there are less expensive models around and they are made for RVs (so they say on Ebay and the company name is right on the produce (Mornay or Moreay.. ) I will be calling them too to see what is with their product,
I have not finished investigating yet ... will keep in touch!
They are made to go in RVs, but not for RVs only.

All other options are. They fit the WH cutout hole. The other one just has to be mounted and hidden somewhere. And then an LP line run to it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thanks, some of these are a bit high for me and I called the supplier in Tx but shipping would be awful, so am going to call parent company to see what's what in canukville!

there are less expensive models around and they are made for RVs (so they say on Ebay and the company name is right on the produce (Mornay or Moreay.. ) I will be calling them too to see what is with their product,
I have not finished investigating yet ... will keep in touch!
Are you thinking about using a Marey portable "point of use" tankless water heater? Like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Marey.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	48546
$106 on Amazon.

They are not designed to be a "whole coach" unit. And are NOT made to be built-in (exhaust venting is a concern to me, looking at the design)

I will also add that "you get what you pay for." Hope you are a smart shopper and check buyer feedback before getting one of these...they reportedly have problems.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:08 PM   #31

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks for the heads up. I have done some indepth reading and realized this is not what I want, I will go for the better quality one, I think this type unit with the RV advertising is what got me thinking about it in the first place....

Then began the investigation in earnest...

I do thank you for your support in this matter and your very sage advice.

I am trying to see all aspects of a situation and then choose the best for me.

If it takes a couple of months to get my tankless unit then so be it...

(Everyone needs a goal ...yes??
Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #32

I just see the main gain in a tankless RV WH is you have time for lots of showers with many people.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
I hope you meant one at a time since the B'room will scarcely hold that !

I was thinking more along the lines of not having to tow a 50 -60 lb water tank along ,,,full or empty ... and something that would not be affected by cold,
(no really frozen tanks) Along the way I might even save on propane, for certain on power as it is a separate charge from the (winter) campground fee, since the propane will only be used while water is running, unlike power which has to run constantly to keep the HW tank up to temp even when you are not using it.

It may not be for everyone, but I believe it is efficient and cost effective for me .
Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #34

Quote:
unlike power which has to run constantly to keep the HW tank up to temp even when you are not using it.
Just so you know, the 120V power is not heating constantly to keep it up to temp. That would be like the LP burning constantly to keep it hot; it doesn't.
It heats, reaches desired temp, shuts off, cycles.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:35 AM   #35

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Just so you know, the 120V power is not heating constantly to keep it up to temp. That would be like the LP burning constantly to keep it hot; it doesn't.
It heats, reaches desired temp, shuts off, cycles.
Yes I understand that, like the heater at home, but when the water in the tank cools below the set temperature, it must re-ignite or turn on to bring it up to preset temp. even if not being used. That is what I meant, not that it is constant... sorry I was not clear enough.

Because there is no tank with tankless ,it only ignites when the water is turned on.
My point mostly is not having the heavy old tank, and the fact that I can have hot water on demand when off the grid.

I realize you see no value in this, and that is your prerogative, for me it works.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #36

Quote:
Yes I understand that, like the heater at home, but when the water in the tank cools below the set temperature, it must re-ignite or turn on to bring it up to preset temp. even if not being used. That is what I meant, not that it is constant... sorry I was not clear enough.

Because there is no tank with tankless ,it only ignites when the water is turned on.
My point mostly is not having the heavy old tank, and the fact that I can have hot water on demand when off the grid.

I realize you see no value in this, and that is your prerogative, for me it works.
I was just making sure you had your understanding correct and were not basing your decision off wrong information.

I don't really care if you do or not, just making sure you have facts straight.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Comparisons of tankless and a 6-10 gallon RV water heater always brag about how much more energy efficient the tankless is. But in our RV, we turn on the heater while having breakfast, then turn it off after washing up. (45 min??) Then again we turn it on to do evening dishes and showers. (1-2 hours?) The rest of the time it's off. I don't think there'd be that big a savings. As to weight savings, again it's hardly noticeable in a 18,000 lb unit. Just leave 10 gallons of water out of the tank and you've more than made up the weight savings of a tankless heater. Price?...to replace a good working tank heater with tankless is being gadget happy. The payback period for the extra expense of a tankless unit (a good one, not the eBay/Amazon cheapies) will probably be longer than you'll own the RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:01 PM   #38
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Comparisons of tankless and a 6-10 gallon RV water heater always brag about how much more energy efficient the tankless is. But in our RV, we turn on the heater while having breakfast, then turn it off after washing up. (45 min??) Then again we turn it on to do evening dishes and showers. (1-2 hours?) The rest of the time it's off. I don't think there'd be that big a savings. As to weight savings, again it's hardly noticeable in a 18,000 lb unit. Just leave 10 gallons of water out of the tank and you've more than made up the weight savings of a tankless heater. Price?...to replace a good working tank heater with tankless is being gadget happy. The payback period for the extra expense of a tankless unit (a good one, not the eBay/Amazon cheapies) will probably be longer than you'll own the RV.
These are good points -if- you can accept always having to take "Marine Showers" (water-on, water-off, water-on, etc), your water heater is in perfect working condition, you don't mind the 30-45 min wait for really hot water, and if everyone in the family is disciplined to always shut off the conventional water heater.

I don't accept these limits for such a relatively small investment when combined with the cost of repair to the original water heater that will be required sooner or later. Like the OP, I want to upgrade to the built-in tankless someday in the future, because we would really enjoy "regular" showers when we are at a campground with full hook-ups (unlimited fresh and unlimited sewer). Plus, having a tankless Noritz at home, we know that not only are they more efficient because it is on-demand only, plus the new designed manifolds are more efficient at making the water hot, than conventional water tank types.

Lucky for all of us, we have options...and I pick upgrade to tankless!

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 AM   #39

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Turn off the water heater??
You and I have very different lifestyles, I like to get up, have my shower etc and then have breakfast and go out with my dogs, one of which is white and he can find dirt faster than a 2 year old 2 legged... A quick wash or rinse can be the order of the day should he find the right gopher hole!! ( not really every day, but on occasion) Cold water makes him shiver and waiting for warm means he will dry off on the bedspread probably...or somewhere equally comfy!

I will be a full timer, and I am in the north, my winter quarters will be in a campground which charges separately for power.+ tax

The RV I will be getting is an older model as mentioned in my first post, and the tanks are probably very heavy and the heater just about ready to be replaced in the first year anyhow, ( a new water heater on sale right now is 548.00 and a new tank is about 76.00 (sale) then there is the shipping ...oops they don't ship here except by special exception...for a hefty price
so will buy here, still the same only bit pricier... the end result is it will cost me less to get the 'quality'tank-less.

This will be my first and final 5er and if I have this upgrade it can be sold for a few more pence as it is a winterized unit in tip top shape.

To me this is not a 'toy,' but a carefully thought out choice to replace something that is getting ready to gasp it's last (original heater, might get more years out of it if not on the go all the time ,and through a cold (-35C sometimes) winter, I could not imagine coming in from the cold and not having a good hot shower to chase away the chill, right away,

You don't seem to grasp my reasoning and that it is basically ease of use and to lighten the load a bit on something I will have to do anyway.

For me being able to have a long shower, wash dishes, wash clothes, mop floor all within a couple of hours is a plus instead of having to stagger it throughout the day. I do have work to do and once I get into it it can be pretty demanding.
However you are entitled to your thoughts and opinions, we all have different reasons for our life choices, after all ,if we all thought the same way we'd all want to marry the same person!!
Blessings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
These are good points -if- you can accept always having to take "Marine Showers" (water-on, water-off, water-on, etc), your water heater is in perfect working condition, you don't mind the 30-45 min wait for really hot water, and if everyone in the family is disciplined to always shut off the conventional water heater.

I don't accept these limits for such a relatively small investment when combined with the cost of repair to the original water heater that will be required sooner or later. Like the OP, I want to upgrade to the built-in tankless someday in the future, because we would really enjoy "regular" showers when we are at a campground with full hook-ups (unlimited fresh and unlimited sewer). Plus, having a tankless Noritz at home, we know that not only are they more efficient because it is on-demand only, plus the new designed manifolds are more efficient at making the water hot, than conventional water tank types.

Lucky for all of us, we have options...and I pick upgrade to tankless!

Safe travels
Thank you for your comments, makes my decision to 'go with the flow' easier, I was starting to think I was being irrational or whatever was being thought,
I do see other RVers have this system and seem to love it, and when it comes time to replace this is how I too will go.

Happy Travels and many Blessings
Old 10-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #40

Quote:
You don't seem to grasp my reasoning and that it is basically ease of use and to lighten the load a bit on something I will have to do anyway

I was starting to think I was being irrational or whatever was being thought
A little defensive for no reason it seems. For you, with so much hot water, it makes sense.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #41

If you have 3 or 4 people taking showers in the unit. It might be faster. But for 2 people, I'n not sure I see the benefit. The tank is what, 12 gallons? Doesn't take alot of energy to keep it hot. There is no pilot (at least on mine) to waste propane. And the distance to the fartherest outlet (probably the shower) isn't that far so there is hardly any waste of water. In our rig, it only takes 2-3 seconds for the hot water to reach the shower.
On top of that, wouldn't an RV on demand heater require a heavier propane flow to meet the heating demand as the ones in stick homes require? I think you'd need to bring out the sliderule and spreadsheets to figure this one out! haha.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #42
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck View Post
If you have 3 or 4 people taking showers in the unit. It might be faster. But for 2 people, I'n not sure I see the benefit. The tank is what, 12 gallons? Doesn't take alot of energy to keep it hot. There is no pilot (at least on mine) to waste propane. And the distance to the fartherest outlet (probably the shower) isn't that far so there is hardly any waste of water. In our rig, it only takes 2-3 seconds for the hot water to reach the shower.
On top of that, wouldn't an RV on demand heater require a heavier propane flow to meet the heating demand as the ones in stick homes require? I think you'd need to bring out the sliderule and spreadsheets to figure this one out! haha.
Huh?! 2 regular hot showers on a single tank of hot water?
What kind of RV water heater can do this?

The typical RV hot water heater using LP is only 6 gallons or the optional 10 gallons. This water is diluted with cold water the moment you start the water flow...that doesn't even last 1 "regular" shower for us.

Our VERY WELL insulated RV will run a normal shower flow (which is 1.5 GPM) for about 5 minutes...then the water temperature drops to ambient temp.

Shower time can be extended by turning the water off to soap-up, mid-shower...but that is about all it can do.

Tankless units use LESS LP over tank models to heat the water because of improved manifold designs and because they don't maintain the hot water in the tank.

Safe travels

WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV

Tags
water