Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 PM   #71

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hot water View Post
Compared to a tank heater the RV550 on demand water heater is 40%+ more efficient at making hot water. It can take 35 degree incoming water
and heat it to 120 degrees. When the faucet is turned off the heater shuts down and draws .1 amp of 12 volt power and only uses 2+ amps of 12 volt power while making hot water. It supplies a great creature comfort while RVing, unlimited hot water and no wait between use because it does not have a tank. Remember, tank heaters waste a lot of energy and limits your hot water usage.

Hot Water
Shouldn't you be a registered commercial member?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
nor will I argue about the drawbacks of each method... good luck !
I just wanna make sure people buy what they want based on truth.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #73
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Where is this info coming from?
A tank WH takes 35*F water and takes it to 140*F. A tank WH uses very little 12V power on standby, if any. Same when running. Atwood gas only has a 2A fuse.
What is the efficiency of a tank WH? I don't see where it "wastes" energy.
These facts can be found here: RV-550 Tankless RV Water Heaters by PrecisionTemp

Per the mfgt., the RV550 provides an 88 degree increase in temp at 55,000BTU burner level - on demand, no loss of energy when not used (main reason for tankless), and little electrical energy use in stand-by mode.

A water heater with a tank "wastes" heat energy when sitting unused. Of course you can turn it off...but then when you want hot water, you have to wait for it to heat the tank.

The suburban 10gallon tank gas and electric unit is advertised with "recovery" at just over 16 gallons per hour. So, that means (if you run it on shore power and gas) more than a half hour wait to heat up the tank to preset temp...simple physics.

Just the facts
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 07:58 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
These facts can be found here: RV-550 Tankless RV Water Heaters by PrecisionTemp

Per the mfgt., the RV550 provides an 88 degree increase in temp at 55,000BTU burner level - on demand, no loss of energy when not used (main reason for tankless), and little electrical energy use in stand-by mode.

A water heater with a tank "wastes" heat energy when sitting unused. Of course you can turn it off...but then when you want hot water, you have to wait for it to heat the tank.

The suburban 10gallon tank gas and electric unit is advertised with "recovery" at just over 16 gallons per hour. So, that means (if you run it on shore power and gas) more than a half hour wait to heat up the tank to preset temp...simple physics.

Just the facts
Good, as long as they are factual facts.

But why tout "little standby power use?" That's a fact, but a dumb one. Everything uses little standby power.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:02 PM   #75
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Good, as long as they are factual facts.

But why tout "little standby power use?" That's a fact, but a dumb one. Everything uses little standby power.
This is true...
Just covering the differences mentioned earlier...a unit with LP and 110VAC will run the 110VAC and the 12VDC devices during every heating cycle - but the tankless will only run the 12VDC temp and flow sensor until the faucet is opened.

NOW a question...does a regular dual heat source (LP and electric) water heater activate both heat sources at the same temp pre-set or are they set for different temp ranges?
Probably the same, since you can run these with either one or both...just wondering.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-19-2013, 11:44 PM   #76

We have had nothing but the best experience with our Oasis Systems tankless heater. Having had tank water heaters for the last 17 years, I wasn't sure if it would make much of a difference, but, after having this system for almost a year, I would never go back. So many benefits-even beyond the obvious limitless hot water. For example, you can attach your water compartment faucet hose to your black tank wash and fill/rinse your black tank with as much hot water as you need.

We opted to eliminate propane entirely in our fifth wheel, so our system is diesel-fired and runs off of a 50 gallon diesel tank. We have gone almost a year and only filled it one time. No more propane tanks to lug around.

As for service, Oasis makes it easy. Once per year you clean the burner. Piece of cake.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:02 AM   #77

Solo Rvers Club
Have I read correctly that Oasis is a heater ( furnace) and a tankless water heater, I think that because of the reference to heating the bays.

I am not a furnace person and don't know how these things work at all. I think I have read it incorrectly ... but it sounds like a really neat system but can it be used in a 5er? (using diesel I mean ) does diesel come in tanks like LP (thinking now that it wouldn't be possible as the stove is LP...

I am guessing you don't use diesel for the stove.. do you??

don't see a price, but the stats are impressive... I understood some of them but it looks like beacoup bucks for me...
Old 11-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #78
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Have I read correctly that Oasis is a heater ( furnace) and a tankless water heater, I think that because of the reference to heating the bays.

I am not a furnace person and don't know how these things work at all. I think I have read it incorrectly ... but it sounds like a really neat system but can it be used in a 5er? (using diesel I mean ) does diesel come in tanks like LP (thinking now that it wouldn't be possible as the stove is LP...

I am guessing you don't use diesel for the stove.. do you??

don't see a price, but the stats are impressive... I understood some of them but it looks like beacoup bucks for me...
These systems (Oasis and Aqua-Hot) are really designed for motorized RV's powered by Diesel.
Oasis: Oasis Heating Systems | International Thermal Research
and Aqua-Hot: Products - Aqua-Hot Hydronic Heating

And I put emphasis on the word "system." They draw engine heat, or burn Diesel, or consume shore power to heat the coach and produce hot water.

Take a look at the websites and you will see that a retro-fit to an existing RV is complex and using one in a towable will lose a bunch of the functions...I don't know how the poster bridged the gap between the tow vehicle (from the avatar, a Class 8 HDT) to the 5er, but anything is possible for the right price. Hope they share more.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 11-23-2013, 02:27 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
These systems (Oasis and Aqua-Hot) are really designed for motorized RV's powered by Diesel. Oasis: Oasis Heating Systems | International Thermal Research and Aqua-Hot: Products - Aqua-Hot Hydronic Heating And I put emphasis on the word "system." They draw engine heat, or burn Diesel, or consume shore power to heat the coach and produce hot water. Take a look at the websites and you will see that a retro-fit to an existing RV is complex and using one in a towable will lose a bunch of the functions...I don't know how the poster bridged the gap between the tow vehicle (from the avatar, a Class 8 HDT) to the 5er, but anything is possible for the right price. Hope they share more. Best luck
Great comments from everyone on this post.

To clarify, I don't think you could retrofit an Oasis system to an existing Fiver very easily. The fifth wheel version of the Oasis has two lines that run through the boiler: potable water (same function as a tankless water heater) and an antifreeze line that sends heat to registers for heating the rv (similar to a house radiator system, but utilizing 12v fans to move the heat more efficiently). On a motorhome, there would be a third run that would circulate engine antifreeze to utilize engine heat to assist the efficiency of the oasis and/or preheat the engine.

Oasis makes a standard model for fifth wheels that eliminates the third run to the engine. It is available in both propane or diesel--both of these options have additional dual electric heating elements to use along with the fuel source or in place of the fuel for greater savings.

Having lived with propane tanks for 17 years, we made it a priority to totally eliminate LP from our new fiver. Continental Coach does this all the time and it has worked flawlessly for us. We have a 3 burner electric induction cooktop, convection micro for baking and a residential fridge. Water and living areas (including underbelly) are heated by the Oasis. Both Oasis and generator run off of a 50 gal diesel tank in the belly of the camper. You simply fill up your truck and fiver at the same time. We almost full-time (11 mo/yr), and use considerably less fuel now (diesel) than we used in our previous propane equipped fiver...and we spend lots of time in sub-freezing temps in the wintertime.

As mentioned above, I don't think you would want the time and expense of retrofitting an existing fiver with an Oasis, but it would certainly be worthy of your consideration when shopping for a new unit.

This is yet another option when considering tankless water heat.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #80

Solo Rvers Club
As mentioned above, I don't think you would want the time and expense of retrofitting an existing fiver with an Oasis, but it would certainly be worthy of your consideration when shopping for a new unit.

This is yet another option when considering tankless water heat.[/QUOTE]

Sure enjoyed your explanation Bigfiver...
No I don't think I would have the resources to do this but it certainly is an interesting system, I did read the specs very carefully and was impressed, I may have not got all the jargon, but I caught most of it... if I am ever fortunate enough to win some $$ I will get a new 5er and make it this system for sure,

I might at least be able to go the tankless route ...

thanks so much for your post, VERY informative ...
Old 11-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #81

Our experience with the RV-500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enokie View Post
Does anyone here have an opinion on hot water on demand heaters?
Hello, my wife and I are full-timers and have been for several years here in the Seattle area. We live up where it is cold, very near the Snoqualmie pass. We live on a private 5 acre lot with a well. The well water pressure is between 30-50pds pressure.

Our rig is a 2007 40' KZ Escalade with three pop outs. This is very much a kozy 4 season 5th wheel. We have replaced our fridge with a residential fridge and our hot water heater with the RV-500 tankless from precision temp.

Let me preface all of this with a quote by a woman on another forum. She likes to "troll" and will chime in with her brilliance so let me get this out of the way. She wrote on this other forum

"I've heard only two complaints on the RV500. One was by a clown who bought his used from a mobile repairman who claimed it came from an RV owned by an elderly woman who was frightened by the sound of the flame coming on (if that wan't a phony story...)."http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=54205.0

Well that is true but I'm not a clown, actually I'm a Systems Engineer at a huge software company in Redmond and I have an MBA. So I'm pretty thorough in research what I do but in all fairness I decided to buy this water heater and it really has worked out nicely up until this week.

Here is a point you will want to remember...."Who is going to work on it"??

I can tell you that this has been the biggest pain in my side. The fella at Precision temp has been extremely good at working with me over the last few years with this heater. I called him just the day before yesterday to tell him my water won't get above 80 degrees. Gary is his name and I believe he is the owner and engineer of this product. Gary always has be go outside, grab my multimeter and head for the water heater for some diagnostic work.

He thought he had it figured out this time that it may have been a bad propane regulator. That actually was the case when I first bought it.

Even though your furnace will work fine and your stove seems alright, these units draw huge volumes a propane...55k BTU. So you must have everything in order and I did not when I first bought it. But my point is that even though it was used, Gary still backed the product and always has very well. Kudos to Precision Temp for this.

But....I live out in the sticks and since we both full-time working professionals we really need things working right. We have a mobile tech or two we can call but none of them know much about this heater or tankless in general. Sure they say the do but when it comes to the deep troubleshooting and diagnostics.....they don't have the skill set. You are stuck working with Gary on the phone.

Getting your hands inside this heater to work on anything is going to be insane unless your are a mouse....just really tough.

The heating unit also has blistered the side of my $100,000 coach and looks like crap.

Mind you, my wife loves the endless showers but think back to the comment that the lady quoted.....remember the old lady that was scared of the heating unit noise coming on? I am also somewhat nervous about it and I have owned it for a long time. I sometimes hear the water heater turn on when my wife takes her morning shower and I'm still lying in bed....BOOM! goes the propane...why who the hell knows but I'm not thrilled when I hear that and it happens often. Reason...sure Gary and I have discussed some of his theories on this. Is he right...I don't know but it does not make that loud BOOM go away. It doesn't happen all the time so don't panic.

Taking a shower in a tankless.....hm there is a new skill you need to develop.
The water flow can fluctuate. You may be in a campground, you may be on a well like...it is just the nature of the beast. The tankless reads the flow and makes it adjustment on the fly. I for one don't let it bother me too much and neither does my wife. We expect the inconsistent water temperature when we first get in the shower and get things going. It tends to settle down and stay fairly constant but not always. Point is it happens, it can be frustrating to be taking a shower and have the water all of sudden go cold and then come back on. It was due in part with us I believe because our flow rate was borderline. It still happens and it is not fun just be ready for it. For the most part that fluctuation is not a problem unless your are running low and propane and the it can be because these units just draw so much propane.

How hot can it get? Well you are not talking really hot water anymore. The default setting on the RV-500 is to output the water at about 120 degrees which is fine. If you want hotter water for say washing dishes you simply slow down the flow by using the faucet handle and then it will increase a bit but not hugely. I want to say about 5 degrees or so. Could be understating that a bit I don't recall.

Hassle - yes definitely. If I had to do it over again would I buy another one?
Not sure. It is a PIA but it is a pain that is well worth putting up with once you get it setup correctly by someone qualified....see that's the key. Here I am going into Thanks Giving weekend on one of the most important holidays we will have with our daughter who is staying with us until she goes off to the Navy for Basic Training in February. I have not hot water for the girls, no one qualified to work on it and no idea why it does not work even after speaking with Gary....

I think tankless can be great but bottom line, it's a hassle, it's expensive and I am extremely dependent on one person across the country who can really help me.

I am vey close to throwing in the towel on this tankless. I have thought about getting a replacement from Gary but he is saying there is nothing wrong with my water heater....well...everything else that runs on propane is running and I have no complaints....but the RV-500 is fine. Ok maybe it is...but I have no hot water......

not sure that helps you but you get my drift.....you are on an island with technology NOBODY is likely to be qualified to help you with.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #82

And the above post is the reason I do not have a tankless system......

However, I'm interested in more input on the Oasis....having a non-propane coach is interesting to me. But I'm wondering if the amount of yearly maintenance, tweeking, etc on the Oasis is as bad as the Aqua Hot...because that unit is ALWAYS seeming to need "something".....I have several friends with them. Maybe the diesel is friendlier than the propane....

To me -although in general I think RV products are junk - the simple Suburban hot water heater and a couple of two stage furnaces seem to mostly work fine. They are cheap and simple to replace the whole unit. In the coach I'm designing right now I'm looking at Coleman basement air with heat pump, so a couple of furnaces are just backup. We do spend time in COLD, and the heat pump is not real effective under 40*.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:44 AM   #83

However, I'm interested in more input on the Oasis....having a non-propane coach is interesting to me. But I'm wondering if the amount of yearly maintenance, tweeking, etc on the Oasis is as bad as the Aqua Hot...because that unit is ALWAYS seeming to need "something".....I have several friends with them. Maybe the diesel is friendlier than the propane....

To me -although in general I think RV products are junk - the simple Suburban hot water heater and a couple of two stage furnaces seem to mostly work fine. They are cheap and simple to replace the whole unit. In the coach I'm designing right now I'm looking at Coleman basement air with heat pump, so a couple of furnaces are just backup. We do spend time in COLD, and the heat pump is not real effective under 40*.
Old 11-28-2013, 01:10 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Mayer View Post

Jack,

Congrats on designing your new coach!

I can only vouch for our experience with a Oasis diesel (+dual AC elements) system. Zones 1-3 are for living/kitchen, master bedroom and second bedroom; zone 4 is for radiant heat. We have found that the radiant heat takes a couple of hours to warm up, but once it is up to speed, running zones 1-3 are virtually unnecessary until it gets into the teens.

We have had no problems or maintenance issues. Yearly maintenance is less time and money than an Aquahot unit. We have heard horror stories from Aquahot owners but are 100% pleased with the Oasis.

Unlimited hot water is important for us as we have 3 kids; it may not be important for a couple.

We have 3 heat pumps too, but as you said, they only work well to around 35-40. However, we have really fallen in love with warm floors and end up switching on the Oasis radiant heat more often than we anticipated. At higher temps, the electric elements in the Oasis do fine, but once you hit 35 or so outside, diesel is needed to push it over the top.

Getting rid of propane has been fantastic--no more lugging tanks. 50 gals of diesel lasts for a long, long time.

Once again, congrats on your new unit!

Tim

Tags
water