Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
On demand heated water

Does anyone here have an opinion on hot water on demand heaters?

I know they are made for RVs and run from propane, I am seriously thinking to remove the tank and install one of these, they work extremely well in houses!

Penny for your thoughts .... oops that will have to be free, we don't use pennies anymore

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
From what I've read, they are able to keep up with demand. While replacing a perfectly good tank heater in an RV would be expensive, if you really want to do it go for it. I also wonder about the 'footprint' of the tankless heater, will it fit in the tank heater space or will you have to create a new space?

My home gas water heater is 30+ years old, when I replace it I've investigated tankless gas heaters and will probably install one. The old home unit was a pretty efficient unit and hasn't given any problems, so I'm waiting for a malfunction to replace it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
Here is the ad for this item, I also have a huge gas water heater in the house but if I was staying I would switch out since the old heater is looking a bit older these days but because it hasn't given me any trouble I let it be ...

Pretty reasonable for 236.00 I think I found it on KIJIJI and it is brand new and easy to install. Saves on propane for sure ... good for boondocking I am thinking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water heater.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	48484  
Old 10-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
That looks like a home Tankless water heater. RV units are built to fit in the space of a tank water heater. Not sure how you'd vent the one you show, plus it needs 120 v AC instead of 12 v DC. Wonder if it's certified for RV use?

RV Tankless Water Heater from Girard - PPL Motor Homes

RV-500 Tankless Water Heater - PrecisionTemp

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:48 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
If you can use the magnify on the computer you can see it is made for RVs.
I will see if I can find the original site so you can see it better.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Why not get one that is meant to be a direct replacement for your current unit? No modifying hole size. Drop in.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Propane Tankless Hot Water Heater 3 1 GPM House or RV on Demand Marey New | eBay

I found this unit, the other photo is from Firepit Fundamentals...this runs on propane and uses a D cell battery for ignition purposes.

Jsilvas, that unit looks interesting, is there any information on it? I do not want an electric unit, I want the one that runs from propane...
Old 10-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a tankless on our Phaeton and love it. Was kinda skeptical at first but since we have gotten used to it, we really like it. Never run out of hot water and it has a switch to keep it above 40 degrees where it will not freeze in cold weather sitting or you can drain it by opening a faucet and the pop-off valve which happens to be on the bottom.

Only problem we ever had was when we had the coach washed and they drown the heater!!!! Took it a couple of days to dry out but even then it still worked somewhat (you would get a cold spurt every once in a while when taking a shower). Made for some loud remarks occasionally until it dried out.

burfurd
Old 10-24-2013, 07:50 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
That looks like a home Tankless water heater. RV units are built to fit in the space of a tank water heater. Not sure how you'd vent the one you show, plus it needs 120 v AC instead of 12 v DC. Wonder if it's certified for RV use?

RV Tankless Water Heater from Girard - PPL Motor Homes

RV-500 Tankless Water Heater - PrecisionTemp
Took a look at the sited recommended and one was too much for my budget and the other could not be shipped outside contiguous US.

I do thank you for your references and help
Old 10-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
We have a tankless on our Phaeton and love it. Was kinda skeptical at first but since we have gotten used to it, we really like it. Never run out of hot water and it has a switch to keep it above 40 degrees where it will not freeze in cold weather sitting or you can drain it by opening a faucet and the pop-off valve which happens to be on the bottom.

Only problem we ever had was when we had the coach washed and they drown the heater!!!! Took it a couple of days to dry out but even then it still worked somewhat (you would get a cold spurt every once in a while when taking a shower). Made for some loud remarks occasionally until it dried out.

burfurd
that is a funny story but glad you got it dried out and you are once again in hot water land ....
what make do you have? I am wanting one very much as my friend has this in her home and says it saves her a ton of $$ on her gas bill and she finds it most convenient never running out of hot water

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #11

I'll wait til my 120/12V croaks and see how folks like whatever is new then. I may never see it fail.

What is the up-side? You still need to wait for the hot water to go from the heater to the faucet, right?
Maybe it saves on propane. I used almost none as I almost always use 120V.

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #12

That's not an RV WH. It's generic.
I posted an Atwood. It is meant to be used in RVs specifically.
On-DemandWater Heaters - Atwood Mobile

You can read, but yes, they are LP fired.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
This is a great idea -- hadn't thought of this. Do I understand that from LESS PROPANE you can get endless hot water. That the conventional HWH consumes MORE propane? Thanks for the idea! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #14

No, the on demand will use more LP.

However, the savings will appear IF you always leave your tank WH on 24/7 and it is always heating water. That is it heating water just for it to later cool off.

Tags
water