Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2016, 11:10 PM   #29
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Auburn, Ca.
Posts: 25
We could not adjust the water to warm wit the Atwood tankless wate heater. It either burnt you at 130 degrees or it froze you at a cold temperature. We complained to Newmar with no response to repair or replace it. The customer service manager offered us $300 to do what we wanted with it. We finally convinced Atwood ourselves, after 7 months of misery using it, to replace the on demand water heater with a tank water heater. After 3 appointments and replacement of the control board, it finally worked. The water adjusts with 2 turns of the faucet and the warm water is there. No problems after that. During the time we were having the new tank water heater installed, we received a Recall Notice from Newmar to have a remedy kit installed in the on demand water because users were getting burnt. Dah. Newmar gave us no support nor did they believe us and seems to me they actually lied to us saying nobody else is having problems with their on demand water heater. The on demand water heater requires good water pressure, good volumn, and Everytime you shut off the faucet and turn it back on, the cold water comes first and after a gallon or 2 here comes the warm, and so and so. Alot of water wasted using it. The tank water heater is much more efficient. Go tank.
__________________

__________________
Verlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2016, 06:25 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
jacknife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 508
When they give me the nobody else is having problems routine , l just tell them that they are talking to somebody with a problem and l could care less about nobody not having problems.
__________________

__________________
jacknife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #31
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Auburn, Ca.
Posts: 25
Ok at home, not in RV.
__________________
Verlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:38 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Auburn, Ca.
Posts: 25
Good point.
__________________
Verlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,228
The reason tankless works better at home is that there is less of an issue about conserving water or using high power for a short time.
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
George Schweikle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,857
There may be benefits to on-demand water heaters for RV's, but I suspect the real answer might be that they are a cost reduction for RV manufacturers, just like the frameless windows. Marketing 101 says the way to get people to buy something is to promote it as the next, irresistible, "new thing". As demonstrated by the P.T.Barnum theory.
__________________
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:09 AM   #35
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,228
On demand is a hot item in certain "green" communities. It's problem is the same as many other green ideas. Under certain conditions there is a "better" answer. That is not true under all conditions for everyone but that part is ignored.

In the case of most camper applications we are using low flow shower heads that may not even be at the rated capacity when on the internal pump pressure. That makes it difficult to design a burner that will accomodate that and still run hot water to the sink or washing machine at a reasonable time/temp.
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:58 PM   #36
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verlyn View Post
We could not adjust the water to warm wit the Atwood tankless wate heater. It either burnt you at 130 degrees or it froze you at a cold temperature. We complained to Newmar with no response to repair or replace it. The customer service manager offered us $300 to do what we wanted with it. We finally convinced Atwood ourselves, after 7 months of misery using it, to replace the on demand water heater with a tank water heater. After 3 appointments and replacement of the control board, it finally worked. The water adjusts with 2 turns of the faucet and the warm water is there. No problems after that. During the time we were having the new tank water heater installed, we received a Recall Notice from Newmar to have a remedy kit installed in the on demand water because users were getting burnt. Dah. Newmar gave us no support nor did they believe us and seems to me they actually lied to us saying nobody else is having problems with their on demand water heater. The on demand water heater requires good water pressure, good volumn, and Everytime you shut off the faucet and turn it back on, the cold water comes first and after a gallon or 2 here comes the warm, and so and so. Alot of water wasted using it. The tank water heater is much more efficient. Go tank.
What did you do to get Atwood to agree to replace it? I'd like to not plow that same ground for the next 7 months. So far Atwood says it works as designed and Fleetwood says they delivered hot water. Neither admits I don't have a usable shower.
__________________
olinandellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by olinandellie View Post
What did you do to get Atwood to agree to replace it? I'd like to not plow that same ground for the next 7 months. So far Atwood says it works as designed and Fleetwood says they delivered hot water. Neither admits I don't have a usable shower.
They are both correct. That is the reason why some of us warn people that they are not a good idea in a MH. If you had a temperature balancing faucet in the MH it might help. They are code in many places but not in a MH. Probably for the same reason tankless heaters are a problem. Wide ranges of pressure and flow.
__________________
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Auburn, Ca.
Posts: 25
Just tell them it won't adjust right. Atwood has a recall on that tankless. I think they had to install a mixer valve. Don't let them get away with it. Tell them Verlyn sent you.
__________________
Verlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:26 PM   #39
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 26
yep ok

10 gallon tank heaters are best, easy to use, easy to understand, easy to fix, any joe can help you fix it at the camp ground so you can go on with life, you don`t need to take that long of a shower anyway you haven`t been doing anything all day except sitting around.
__________________
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:17 AM   #40
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Auburn, Ca.
Posts: 25
I would stay away from the Atwood tankless. We had nothing but troubles with it and had it replaced with a tank water heater.
__________________
Verlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:58 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Tugboat's Avatar
 
Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mayberry NC
Posts: 339
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
It seams that my wife takes a 1/2 hour showers we have a 10 gal in the RV and it I turn on the gas and electric at the same time she dose not run out of hot water. Her showers are so hot that with the exhaust fan on the RV looks like a steam train.
__________________
2014 Columbus 320RS
2011, Ford, F250 srw, 6.7
Life member GoodSam, KOA, F.R.O.G
Tugboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #42
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verlyn View Post
I would stay away from the Atwood tankless. We had nothing but troubles with it and had it replaced with a tank water heater.
That's what I want. Just can't get them to do it under warranty, yet.

I don't intend to pay for a design flaw.
__________________

__________________
olinandellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, water, water heater


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bay Heater 2004 Endeavor 40 PST Robert T Monaco Owner's Forum 1 01-07-2015 09:12 PM
Water Heater power supply issue CasinoAl Class C Motorhome Discussions 6 11-08-2014 02:36 PM
Suburban water heater; electric light stays on driedl Newmar Owner's Forum 10 10-19-2014 08:34 PM
Water Heater Intermittently Does Not Start georgegdc RV Systems & Appliances 10 10-03-2014 06:37 PM
New water heater woodworker414 Class C Motorhome Discussions 2 06-02-2014 06:28 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.