Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2016, 09:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
This is my setup. Just bought them this week. Cheap units, have the ability to parallel, can use elsewhere, quiet as the expensive brands, I can lift into the bed by myself and should run both A/C's.

$1223.00 for both including the parallel kit...otd.

CAUTION!!!!!!!

I recently purchased these generators and THANKS TO my Progressive industries EMS I discovered that the Chinese factory worker who wired my generators and the Parallel kit wired the L5-30 recepticals with reverse polarity. As soon as I attempted to power my camper through this particular plug the EMS shut off the power and produced an error code.

Plugs wired backwards were these:

I contacted the local distributor I purchased from and informed them of the problem. They looked into it at their end and called me back thanking me for discovering this. They pulled several generators out of their stock and found the same problem with them.

They offered to correct the blunder ASAP at their center but I opted to open the panel and correct it myself. 1/2 hour later I had correctly wired generators........ Yay China!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2016, 10:43 AM   #30

And yet another reason to have protection for your RV electrical system!

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
And yet another reason to have protection for your RV electrical system!
Amen to that!

We have yet to spend one night in our rig and already experienced the added safety the EMS provides!
Old 05-13-2016, 08:56 PM   #32

Yet another reason to buy Honda or Yamaha
Old 05-14-2016, 02:44 PM   #33

I own the Champion 75537i 3100 watt inverter. Not a construction yard generator but a very well built generator that is comparable with the Honda or Yamaha 3000 at 1/2 the price. It has remote start / electric start. Ran our AC with no issues and for grins and giggles I put it to 1/2 load and still ran the AC. Yes I know I wouldn't be able to run anything else but it did work. Great unit and you can find it on deal. I paid $829 with shipping for Cabels.
RVaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have a built in 5500W. Onan in my Class A MH but we camp with a friend who has a 6500W. Honda he keeps in the back of his pickup all summer long. He pulls a large 5th. wheel camper. He runs a power cord from the generator to his camper and when he wants power he simply hits his remote control and starts the generator.
He also has a transfer switch at his home so he can plug the power cord from the switch to the Honda in case of a power outage at home. He can also use it in the field to power up tools if he needs to.
The Honda is quiet and has never failed him. They are a reliable unit for sure albeit a bit more pricey than some other brand generators.
Even though I have the onboard Onan I still carry my two Honda 2000W. generators along with me in the Class A MH. I used these in my class C which didn't have an onboard generator. I run one for making coffee or when the ladies just have to have their hairdyer. I can run both at once if I want to recharge batteries or run one AC unit which I seldom do. The Hondas are quieter than the Onan and use less gas. I use more gas in the Onan just excersising it than I do using it. I keep the Hondas outside with a cable lock attached to the generators and around the spoke wheels in my MH. I have found a lot of uses for the little Hondas outside of just camping. I throw one of the Hondas on my ATV and use it to power an electric limb trimmer, hedge trimmers and all kinds of power tools. Very handy.
Lynn
This is the best advice I've gotten here. Thank you. I was trying to decide between the onan 5500 and a honda eu3000, I think honda is the way to go, and I can use it for home backup as well. I can carry it in the TH garage secured to the hooks in the floor.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:06 PM   #35

Check your needs for startup watts and running watts. 3000 watts gets used up quick and keep in mind startup requirements are higher. You may have 2 appliances 1200 watts each but if they require 1800 each to start, you're maxed out at 3000.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Yup, that should work. If you have dual 3k gens and that plug you should be able to run both AC units and anything else in the RV at the same time.
I had that "Y" adapter sent to me from Amazon and tried it out connected directly to each of my 3100w WEN gens. I was able to run everything at once...(everything). There was one glitch though... The fridge compressor faltered slightly when the heating element started in the fireplace. The air was running then too sending one line of my trailer to 36 of amp draw (indicated from the EMS). It did not trip the gen overload but it seemed it was all it could handle. I cannot imagine a time when I would be running the space heater portion of the fireplace and the A/C simultaneously so I am calling it a successful test.

Each gen powers 1/2 of the 50A system of my 5er with this adapter. Unless I'm missing something I see no need for the parallel kit.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:06 AM   #37

Well there you go. Proof positive. And you can even be warm and cold at the same time!

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator