Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2015, 07:03 PM   #1

One problem left - Accu-Slide slide not working right

OK, after the last visit to the dealer, I fixed the OTHER three problems they were supposed to fix. That leaves me with the dining slide...

1. VERY slow to extend and retract - especially from the wall switch. Sometimes you have to PUSH the slide to get it to move.

2. Slide is NOT level - it doesn't sit even with the side of the trailer - it droops when it's extended. Not a TON, but enough so when you're sitting in it you can definitely tell it goes downhill.

3. When extending, it clatters. It moves very jerkily, shaking the entire trailer. Tough to describe but it's VERY noticable...

4. It SOUNDS like somebody's being attacked with an axe! The squealing and screaming when it's extended or retracted is QUITE amazing!

YES, I lubed it... Used the ZEP 45 stuff with teflon and followed the instructions from the guy at the manufacturer. EVERYTHING IS VERY LUBRICATED... I even took the lower wiper off and made SURE, BIG TIME SURE, I VERY WELL lubricated the wear bar the slide rides on...... And ALL the inner and outer seals. THE THING still sounds like its screaming in agony!!!!!!

In my opinion (?), there's still a problem. It worked "OK" for about 2 days after the last dealer visit. When it was back a few weeks ago, I showed the continuing problems to one of the "service managers" - (they don't actually HAVE service managers, just a couple people that apparently schedule work) and got "Well, it was working when it left." Then blamed it on the trailer not being perfectly level, after which she stormed off into the shop...

I sent a letter to the owners at the dealer over a week ago, where the "work" was done the last 3 times, and haven't gotten any response, so I"m thinking they aren't interested in doing anything... Then again, I'm not too interested in having them go on another extended fishing expedition.

I tried to find another dealer, and everybody is major booked up for at least the next week. Spoke to one place that admitted they don't have the "expertise" to adjust this thing, and when I asked for a recommendation for a GOOD dealer service department the guy said "Well, I wouldn't say ANY of the places around here are good. They're mostly sales and their service departments are <urination> poor." I think I've noticed that.....

SO, it looks like I"m going to be LEARNING how to fix an Accu-Slide system. I talked to a technical guy at Norco, who is the Accu-Slide people (even though it says BAL), and got some info.

I looks like I"m gonna take all the trim off the front of the slide so I have access to everything. And most likely take off whatever covers I can find so the cables and pulleys and all that are exposed. Once that's done I'm supposed to extend the slide, then loosen ALL the cables so there's slack, then jack up the slide til it's in place and level, then start tightening the cables that extend the slide so it's properly held in place. Then tighten the ones that retract the slide so they can push/pull against one another.....

And, of course, I'll need to measure as I move it in and out at various points to make sure both ends, top and bottom, are the same distance from the wall and so on... I figure it can't get much worse, so I may as well give it a try 'cause it'll be at least a 200 mile round trip to anywhere I'm likely to find anybody, and I figure I can't do a whole lot worse...

ANYHOW, anyone have any ideas or thoughts on whether I'm on the right track or need to do something drastically different?
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2015, 01:24 PM   #2

Wow, everybody out of town for the 4th, or is this just such an off-the-wall slide/topic nobody has a clue?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
Commercial Member

I have replaced several of the cables on one of my Accu-slide BAL slide mechanisms. Those instructions are online and correct. The inside trim may not need to be removed once you bring the slide in part way. There is a metal cover behind the trim that covers the cables and pullies.

The motor and gear chain is at the top.

As I said they have online documentation and videos. Good luck and take your time.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 07-02-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

One problem we have is the wood trim covers everything and makes it very difficult to see how the plates are contacting each other when it's out...

I've read all the setup, change, adjustment, and whatever information I could find on-line. At this point, the thing is so screwed up I figure I can't hurt anything by pulling it open and seeing what's going on... Hopefully I"ll be able to find out WHERE the incredibly loud screeching is coming from when extending and retracting. I KNOW it's not any seals of the bar it rides on, but there's SOMETHING not right.

And the drooping when it's extended is annoying.

I"m most surprised that I never got any response from my letter to the dealership owner(s)... I figured I'd either get a "wow, we really screwed the pooch, bring it in and we'll make it right" OR "Eat dirt and die, we don't care if you never darken our door again"... Instead, nothing.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:33 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Accu-Slides are both hard and easy to break. All you need to do is have a loose nut and they do not work right.

The power unit (And said nut) is either above or below the slide, attached to the fixed wall of the RV,, You will have to remove a panel to see it..

There are eight cables. 4 move it in, 4 move it out.. I am going to guess you have lost at least ONE nut (or broken at least one cable) most likely on the out side.

But access the unit and check With the slide out it is very easy and the cables are well marked at least on mine.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:46 AM   #6

As always, the BIGGEST problem is going to be the nut holding the wrench!

Yeah, I've looked at the information on adjusting, and looked at all the stuff, and everything is marked. Once I get back home I'll remove the wood trim so I can actually SEE things that have to fit together and measure for squareness (presuming this will be helpful).

I've looked at the cables, and nobody is broken, and it DOES move, although noisily and not particularly well. I've been up on top, where the motor is, and everything appears to be solidly attached. That's why I'm wondering if the squealing is either a guide that's dry, loose, or broken, OR one of the cables rubbing against the edge of the hole it passes through - at least TWO cables do that and have actually enlarged the holes by rubbing the edge.

Again, I'll have to see what covers I can remove to see better once the wood trim is removed. I understand the push/pull nature, and have been thinking about how the system "has" to work. I've concluded that to get the slide to fit solidly against the side of the trailer both top AND bottom, I'll have to match the pull of the LOWER OUT cables and the UPPER IN cables to keep the slide level and properly aligned.

For example, WITHOUT HAVING ACTUALLY TRIED IT YET, I presume if I have the slide full extended, and the bottom is X-amount away from the wall and the top is flush with the wall, I can tighten the upper cables that bring the slide IN (loosening the upper cables that move it OUT an equivalent amount) so the slide is the same distance away both top and bottom.

I'll also need to the slide away from the wall and verify that as it MOVES both left and right sides, top and bottom are all moving evenly - that the distance of each corner from the wall is the same so it's not going in and/or out crookedly....

Naturally, none of this is in any of the documents I've seen, and it's all speculation, but it seems sensible to me at this point. I'll see how well it goes in reality! I figure it can't be TOO difficult - it AIN'T ROCKET SURGERY AFTER ALL, but if anybody has any experience actually adjusting one of these things, I'm all ears...
Old 07-09-2015, 09:35 PM   #7

Well, the slide goes in and out now. AND it even opens all the way so the plates hit the trailer wall like they're supposed to. It was drooping somewhere around an INCH AND A HALF when all the way extended. Now it's as level as the trailer.... And it closes fine.

Unfortunately, it still jerks a little during part of the extending and retracting, and makes a squealing noise. We've removed all the trim so we're right next to the bar the slide rides on. It's been WELL AND THOROUGHLY lubricated with the recommended Zep 45, but the slide STILL makes noise going in and out.

So, we've made significant progress, but we've still got at least a small problem with the noise and lack of smooth movement at times.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:43 AM   #8
Commercial Member

One problem left - Accu-Slide slide not working right

As I have replaced the cables on those several times, it is truly a mater of adjustment.

When it is all correct, all cables will be the same tension and the inward and outward movement will be consistent and level/parallel. If not, skipping and vibration is expected.

Just take your time and extend/retract many times checking the effects of your adjustments. Don't over tighten the cables.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 07-11-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

Thanks. That was my thinking too. I've finally got the "out" to move the slide all the way out, so that's a good thing. And it appears to be coming in properly. I've also checked the gap top and bottom, left and right and I move the slide in and out... It's very close to exact - my measurements have all 4 corners within 1/8" when I check it part way out. So, I THINK it's about as even/level as I can expect. What I HAVEN'T found is why it's squeals...

I was thinking I should check UNDER the slide from the inside to see if there's something under there that's hitting the wear bar and causing it... It's definitely not a lubrication problem, but SOMETHING'S still not quite right. I figure if I CAN figure out what's causing the squealing, and get rid of it, that MAY also fix the uneven movement...

Still lookin', but either way, it's a WHOLE lot better than after the dealer got at it....
Old 07-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #10

I have an Open Range 3x388RKS and have had slide out issues on one side (heavy side with fridge) which the dealer repaired replacing both the rollers and the motor. Now I am on the road 2K miles from home and the other slide will not open. The slides are Norco Accu-slide. The last time the slide went in there was loud popping noises. At this peak travel season, I cannot find anyone who will look at the slide to even determine the source. My 5th wheel is only 1.5 years old and I am at my wits end on the reliability of these Norco Accuslides. I watched a few videos on YouTube but none were helpful solving my issue.
gri2048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #11

Sounds like you are making good progress and I hope you have someone helping you. I don't know anything about your type of slides but my question would be this:

Are you sure the squealing is the slide dragging on something or is it possible that one of the pulleys you mentioned is losing a bearing?
You also mentioned a couple of cables that are elongating their holes. Could the cables be squealing?
I guess all this depends on if you can see things while they are moving. Good luck.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 09:58 AM   #12

I have a KS Sprinter using three ACCU-Slides. Recently the main table/couch slide started jumping and making noise and not moving very fast. Sounds like one of the complaints above. The repair was beyond my ability as it involved a guide under the slide not shown in accu-slide videos. Camping World was able to order the part and after a mix up received the part and got it installed. Jumping and noise went away. I have also recently replaced an upper "IN" cable on this unit, but have determined I must move the bracket to keep the cable from fraying again. The rub, pardon the pun, is the builders placed the screws in the slots of the bracket in such a way, I will have to totally remove the screws and bracket, fill the holes and remount the bracket about 3/4 to an inch higher. Not something I am looking forward to. I may have a second cable doing the same thing. I am keeping an eye on it at the moment.
EDunbar1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #13

Hm… I THOUGHT I put the final result in here, but I don’t see it… I’ll chalk it up to another Senior Moment…
SO, here’s what wound up happening……
The RV was purchased from Noble RV in MN, and it was back there more than once to fix the slide.

It didn't get fixed, and eventually, I got tired of dealing with it and took it to a different dealer, Hilltop RV, where they FIXED the slide. They found that the thing it rides on when it goes in and out was messed up and binding……
Replaced it, slide now goes in and out perfectly, and has been since it was at a dealer that actually cared enough to fix the problem.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:24 AM   #14

Angry Norco Accu Slide Issue update

After reviewing several postings on the slide out issue, I thought that I would relay my experience I had last year after traveling a month with a non-functioning slide on my Open Range 5vr. General RV informed me that there was a recall issued on the gear box of the Norco Accu slide. This was after numerous claims from the OEM Highland Ridge that there were no problems. When General RV installed the first replacement it failed during the demo of their finished work. The second replacement has been working so far but I have not been on the road to test out it's reliability. Bottom line is that I plan on purchasing a replacement motor/gear box before I head out on the road since you will never find a quick fix from a mobile RV repairman. It would be so nice if all RV OEM's would admit when there are issues with the original equipment but I doubt that will ever happen.
gri2048 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide