Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-26-2012, 06:23 AM   #15
JWWING, you may be right. Most 5er's look like they are built so cheap and fast with lots of glitz to cover it up. We have a 2011 Kingston built by crossroads. It has been a good unit and we spend winters in Az. in it. Look on the Crossroads forum if you can they are closed for maintenince right now. Lots of problems and changes . I would really be careful of the redwood.

1olcatonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
This started out about Open Range, and has gotten a couple of negative comments.
Just wanted to state I love mine. Got it the first of August and have spent about three weeks total in it, and towed about 1500 miles.
Tows wonderfully. Yes a few things need tweeking, but so did all the others I've owned. I'd do it over again.

Bob & Lynn
2013 Open Range 424RLS- 2006 Chevy 3500, DRW, Crew, Duramax/Allison- Hensley TS-3, 2-Honda EU2000i 4-6v Golf Cart Batteries, 3 Hua's & memories a great Chow.
3 dog nights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
As a counter to the negatives--we finished a 4-month trip to Canada/Alaska/Pacific NW in Sept. Other couple had a 34RLTS? Open Range and it made the entire trip without a problem. His is a 2010, I believe.
They love it.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #18
I think that Open Range has been fixing the problems with their newer rigs better than with the older ones. We hardly used ours - probably put less than 25,000 miles on it in 4 years. We really liked its floorplan and roominess. I never had a drawer bottom fall out. But I had all kinds of trouble with the slides, seals, etc and finally the frame. Then they pulled this - 'I'm working with them' crap with me saying that they were going to get Lippert to help out - shoot, they should have been all over Lippert because they have known about the frame problem for years - yes, years and did nothing about it. I feel like we were test subjects for their failed design. Hardly any of the feechurs (spelled correctly as they weren't intentional, I hope) exist on the new rigs, but some of the fixes appear - and they seem to work on the new models.

One of the big selling points was the towability of the rig. First, mine was set up so that the truck had to be 47" high to get under it - mine was something like 52" minimum - I had to take the two spacer plates from the underside of the rear springs and move them to the top in order to get the thing to level. One of the first things I noticed as I towed it home the first time was how hard it hit going over a relatively small anomaly in the road. Slam! Bam! And I had air levelers in there for my big Cedar Creek, yet it would slam down so hard. Even after I reworked the spacer plates and got it leveled it did that. The dealer was absolutely no help.

It had 15" tires, 4000 lb axles which should have been minimum 16" with 5000 lb axles. They had no shocks - I think that would have stopped the slamming over minor bumps in the road. The back end of that thing was thrown around so much that the little lamp was almost shaken apart. The Lazy Boys took quite a beating too. I had to tether them down much more than any other rig I have ever seen in order to keep them from being chewed up by the drapery hardware. We tried loading the back and loading the front and unloading everything - it was best fully loaded.

After I got back from my first 2500 mile trip, I had a list of about 20 things to fix! (And that didn't include those I fixed myself - like those anemic door catches on the sliding mirror doors!) To me this is outrageous! But the dealer fixed them including a problem with the roof plate breaking loose and lifting the roof membrane a foot into the air! The roof was never the same after that, but it worked ok.

We made several 2500 mile trips with it, but it was one of their early builds (late 2007 build date, sold in May 2008 to us as a 2009 model) and they probably only talked to me because they didn't want me bad-mouthing them on places like this.

Well, I put up with that malarkey for a little while (about a year) and then I just traded the thing off to some unsuspecting soul (I'm sure the dealer only used my complaints about it to get a lower price from me - I think another of his side companies fixes frames so he probably fixed the frame for $50 plus an hour of labor which they charge the customer $2500 for). The trade cost me about $15000, but it was worth it to get into something that doesn't fall apart on me. I just got tired of constantly fixing things on it. Every blasted trip was another 'look for failing parts' and fix one more thing. Who needs that?

Like I said, y'all can have the 5er's - I have had it with them thanks in part to Open Range. Both of my motorhomes have been just fine - thank you very much! I loved my pick-em-up truck, but I don't want to try to tow that behind my motorhome. Plus it is too hard on us to ride in it empty (rode like a truck) and hard to park anywhere (long box crew cab).
jwwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #19
One more thing, when I started having problems with the slide out seals and rollers rolling off the bottom, the rig was only a few months old. The problems were both well documented - others had had the same problems. It took until 2011 before they finally got the repair for them settled. At about the same time, they already knew about the Lippert frame problems too. But not a word to me - I had to find out what to look for from one of the forums!

The people at Open Range were really nice and seemed helpful, but nothing happened until I reminded them again and again that I had a problem. Finally got the materials for new seals all around the slides and the metal plates in late 2011. I installed them myself, receiving virtually no instructions from them about how to do it. But I had some experience with this stuff and didn't like the adhesive-only method for attaching the plates. since the plates were wide enough, I used screws 6" apart along the sides - saved myself a big mess. And that part of the fix was fine. But 40 miles later one of the cables frayed and wore out! After 4 years with no problems?

That was the last time I got anything out of Open Range. They would talk with me by email, but were obtuse and smart alecky. I got it - my rig was out of warranty. So that is what you can count on too I suspect. That is, they will put you off hoping that it can be done until you are successfully out of warranty and then bye bye sucker!
jwwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by gcakia View Post
Dawn, why did you like the Redwood? My wfe and I are also considering the Redwood (36FB) and we're getting mixed feedback on the construction. Plus, noticed you are in Grapevine. What dealer are you looking at for the Redwood. We're working with Explore USA in Fort Worth. Appreciate any feedback
Sorry, I've been out of pocket. We just got back from our first trip in our new Redwood 36RL. We purchased ours from Explore USA in Denton, Cliff Temple was our sales guy. The Redwood seemed to us to be made better than most others we had looked at, the interior and the floor plan seemed to be the most home-like (residential) and finally we used months of research along with a book purchased online to make the final decision. Cliff was, out of all the salespeople we had talked with, the most patient, knowledgable and non-pressure guy we had met. Good luck with your search, if you have not already got one. =)
Dawn & Terry, Baby Dog, Rowdy Boy & Harley D.
Redwood 36RL
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 dually
Tierney Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We looked at the open range out at Explorer usa near caton (we meet up with a group out at mill creek every so often)

they seemed nice - but we ended up going to Best Value RV Texas RV Dealer, Best Value RV - Fifth Wheels, Travels Trailers, Diesel Pushers, Class A Motorhomes, Toy Haulers, Pop-Up Camping Trailers, Class B Van Campers, Class C Mini Motor Homes just north of denton, tx...
Ken and them have really taken care of us...

good luck to you...
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
We have had an Open Range 391 res for 3 years. We have replaced 5 slide cables, the toilet, the holding tank leaks when it is 3/4 full, the carpets are wearing and lots of little things that shouldn't be wearing. Open Range keep telling us that this shouldn't be happening. The last slide cable episode happened in Mexico and 2 cables broke as we were extending the big livingroom slide. The top came out and the bottom stayed in and if it hadn't been for the neighbors the whole thing would have fallen out from the top.I sent pictures but again the comment was this shouldn't have happened. No repair people here so we have to wait til we get to Mesa in the spring to have it repaired. This will be our last year with this unit.

fjmatheson is offline   Reply With Quote