Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2011, 06:09 PM   #15

Thanks for the warning, I'll stay clear of Open Range products. If your able to get them to fix the major problems, trade that sucker in at a different dealership. Hit up yelp and other similar social media wep site and tell your story, you'll get some satisfaction when they go out of business. Sorry for the bad luck!
RVluvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 PM   #16

Good friends of mine have an '10 OR and have had no trouble that they did not cause. Extremely pleased with it--we are planning trip to AK together next summer, so it better last 'til then...
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 01:05 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Good friends of mine have an '10 OR and have had no trouble that they did not cause. Extremely pleased with it--we are planning trip to AK together next summer, so it better last 'til then...
Joe
Love to hear we are having visitors in AK. I left last Tuesday to take the coach south for the winter months. Just crossed the US Canadian border into Montana today.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
First of all you have a first, I have never, on several boards, seen or heard of an Open Range having the kind of problems you are having, never. But just in case you are legit then give Open Range a call. Most likely they will send a shipper to pick it up and take it to the factory. It seems everyone who has ever called with any kind of problems got help over the phone. On occasion the owner is the one you will be talking to. But everyone who has ever called got satisfaction. I have never heard of anyone dissatisfied with the factory and their response to problems. Now the dealer could be a different story to deal with, some are pretty crappy. But from all the posts I have ever seen Open Range is a quality RV and the factory stands behing them. In fact my next new 5er will probably be an Open Range cause I have researched them and am satisfied with them. But that is why I have trouble believing your story, because it goes against all other claims I have heard or seen on line or from Open Range owners I have talked to. And I have talked to quite a few. But good luck...just call the factory with your list, heck with the dealer at this point.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:25 AM   #19

Dear Navy Man Mac,
I would certainly like a list of Open Range Owners here on the forum, who have purchased a New Open Range and have had more than their share of problems. We have also had our share of problems as well, but if we can get enough people on here who have had actual problem we can all get together and go to the Company or get an attorney, but you have strength in numbers. Their are many OR people who have had no or very little problems with their OR. It maybe like cars, some are just lemons, but that doesn't mean you should be stuck with it.
When we bought our OR, we had a lot of problems and are still having some issue's as well. Stick to you guns and don't give up. Keep hounding them be sure they know you are very very unhappy and want something done about it.
If you would like you can contact us, I am Cartist.
We are finally settling in our New OR, and also hope to have some of the issues fixed as well. Does anyone know who to contact ie to the OR Company? I have found it is very hard to get in contact with them?
Again I would like to hear from more people about their Open Range.
Rob/Coni
Cartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #20

Dear Steelpony555,
If you will read my posts, you will also find that we had many many problems with our new fiver OR, which was a high end RV. Maybe 2010 was just a busy year, I don't know about Navy Mac, but we were very unhappy with ours, and we are still having issues as well. But one thing I can say about the OR, is it pulls like a dream.
The issue's that we are having as well are: the water heater, and slides leaking, in MB,and in storage plus a few other things. Taking it back down to Tulsa soon.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
I reckon you can have a lemon with anything that has wheels lol... I talked to many peoples that had OR's and did a lot of research and just never talked to anyone with that many problems. People have had problems that needed fixed and from what they say OR was on the ball in taking care of them. Just never that many problems and never where OR didn't make it right. It's rare to get a unit that does not have something wrong that needs taken care of. I think a lot has to do with the dealer and his techs you have also. A good tech will find the problems and fix them before it's even put on the lot. If they don't find the problem then, they should find them when you do the PDI. Get a lousey dealer and tech they will just pass them on and you get this kind of mess. I don't know what they accomplish by not taking care of problems then when alot of them have to be fairly obvious. They know, as well as anyone buying an RV, that they come in from the factory with problems. So why is it they don't test all systems on the RV. During a PDI you should be doing that also, running every system on the RV. When we did the PDI on my unit they filled every tank to the brim and ran evreything from the water heater to the furnace even though it was a 100 out. I do know back in I think it was 09 they did have a problem with the seals on slides and they leaked, but I think they redesigned the seal. Good luck with your problems and I hope OR takes care of them the say I have heard they do.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:35 AM   #22

Hello to all. Navy Man Mac would like to say THANK ALL OF YA for the positive feedback. If nothing else, I feel better just by the fact you folks care. As of this posting, I will be mailing a " Demand Letter " certified mail to Open Range. This is the first step in what is going to be a long ....... Grulling fight. I have contacted the Federal Trade Commissionand hopfully we can go places with this issue. I have a lot more to share with you folks and I intend to keep you informed as this progress along.
YES, I really like the idea of forming a network, " Not sure if this is the correct wording" Of those who have had similler problems with O/R Both the Company & The RV. We really fell in love with this Open Range and I will be the first to say. Just because we had a Lemon does not say the entire line of O/R are duds.
My main grip or complaint is in the fact that we have had SOOOO many issues, That i'ts way beond anything a person should have to endure.
I will try to keep it short this post, cause I'am bussy with the wife. Operation on her left Knee. Mr John Woodcox is Open Range head spoksman back in Shipshewana,Indiana. This is NOT the man who one would deal with at this point for us. All he has ever been able to tell us when we call him, Is, I'am so sorry to hear of your plight but we are doing our part and working with the Dealer to fix your problems under our warranty. Ya thats great. But can you or anybody who has a like of sence believe that folks like us would buy a new RV in good faith. End up back at the Dealer shop an average of twice a month??
Don't rember If I mentioned before to this forum, But we where able to drive down to S Calif on a visit to see my Childern. We saw the first Body/Frame separtion and took it into an O/R Dealer in Manifee, Calif. THEY would not take the couch into shop. Bottem line, We had to drive all the way back to Sandy, Oregon for this fix.
UNREAL ?? . Next time I get on the forum......... I would love to communicate with all who want to form a " WHATEVER" we should call it. Class-action....... Please reply and let me know who would be interested. Regards: Navy Man
Navy man mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 AM   #23

Smile Hello Cartist..... This is Navy Man Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartist View Post
Dear Navy Man Mac,
I would certainly like a list of Open Range Owners here on the forum, who have purchased a New Open Range and have had more than their share of problems. We have also had our share of problems as well, but if we can get enough people on here who have had actual problem we can all get together and go to the Company or get an attorney, but you have strength in numbers. Their are many OR people who have had no or very little problems with their OR. It maybe like cars, some are just lemons, but that doesn't mean you should be stuck with it.
When we bought our OR, we had a lot of problems and are still having some issue's as well. Stick to you guns and don't give up. Keep hounding them be sure they know you are very very unhappy and want something done about it.
If you would like you can contact us, I am Cartist.
We are finally settling in our New OR, and also hope to have some of the issues fixed as well. Does anyone know who to contact ie to the OR Company? I have found it is very hard to get in contact with them?
Again I would like to hear from more people about their Open Range.
Rob/Coni
I need to keep this short, But yes lets form a network of those who have similer issues with there RVs and O/R . I agree there is power in numbers. I will reply ASAP. OK ?? Off to bed.
Navy man MacKenzie................ A little Scottish. Can't spell.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #24

Have you talked to Open Range about having the unit returned to the Factory and the items that aren't right corrected. I know of two couples who have Open Range products and have been very happy with factory response, not dealer response. If the unit goes back tot the factory hopefully they will quickly correct what is wrong. Definitely better then the legal route. Greater chance of success.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westwind View Post
Have you talked to Open Range about having the unit returned to the Factory and the items that aren't right corrected. I know of two couples who have Open Range products and have been very happy with factory response, not dealer response. If the unit goes back tot the factory hopefully they will quickly correct what is wrong. Definitely better then the legal route. Greater chance of success.
HELLO,This is Navy Man. We have not talked with O/R about a return as of this post. This will be my next move. I agree with all those who don't believe our on gonig problems. I will not spend my time on that. Fact is we have ALL the problems documented and work orders that where typed up for each time the RV went in for the problem. I will follow up with O/R responce after they receive my registered letter. It is a DEMAND for a NEW O/R with the same amminaties. We want a NEW one or, All of the money spent on Motels,Fuel,and purchase payments.
You would think O/R would have provided some kind of inspection, QC before the RV leaves Man. We had curtains fall to the floor simply because they did not install a 5 cent plastic anchore in the panel before driving the screw into it.!! The cloths also fell to the floor due to the same thing. A FIVE CENT PLASTIC ANCHORE. Need I say more. This is a replys believe it or not. Thank you all for your responce & Concerns......................... Regards: Navy Man MacKenzie
Old 10-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy man mac View Post
Hello Folks, This is my FIRST POST so please bare with me. I hope I have the correct forum area for doing this post. The wife and myself bought a new Open Range 35ft 5th wheel RV December 2011. We have had issues past discription from, Body/Frame seperation twice, B/R wheel throwing greese, Control panel shorted out twice !!... Water heater pressure relief vavle spuing water due to PC Board that regulates temp, Shorted. I could go on and on but my reason for posting is this.
The Lemon Law Attornys we inquired into for help, told us that going after Open Range with a case would depend on the language of our Towable Transferable Limited Warranty !!......... Can anybody help in this area ?? We where not sure what to look for in the warranty ( 25} Pages long. And the Attornys have not responded back to us as of this post.
I'am so disappointed with both OR and the Dealer who sold the limon to us. The dealer has stood in front of us and many times and flat out lyed. So sorry to have to make this a sad comment, But can anybody inform us as to what can we do next in the effort to make an arbitration and settle our costly loss. Thank you in advance: Navy Mac .....................

Hi Navy Man Mac,

I would suggest that you contact the Company in Indiana, you should have their phone number. You should not be having these issues. Also look for another dealership that carries OR. We have had problems but not like this. Here is a number of a person who might be able to help you.
Ryan 918-720-7008 he is a rep for Open Range.
Rob
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #27

Be careful picketing, or writing slogans on your RV.

People have been successfully SUED for defamation and slander because of those sorts of things.

I have heard that Open Range is VERY responsive to their customers (on another Forum), so if you have not been in contact w/ the factory, I would certainly try doing so. They should apply pressure on the dealer that sold you the rig.

Document EVERYTHING, including dates, times, people you spoke to and their specific responses, and if you DO have to go before the State's Attorney, your documentation will speak for you, and your dealer will look like an IDIOT.

As a last resort, you can always sue in Small Claims Court, which in some states goes as high as $5000 or even more. No attorney is required (or in some states allowed). Just go in, and calmly refer to your records (as above) to the judge. They know folks are not professionals, and are very understanding as long as you are factual, sincere, and polite.

RVs are tough because most installed units are warrantied by the component manufacturer, and NOT the RV manufacturer, and this can mean 10 or more manufacturers cover the installed components.

Good luck, and keep us in the loop.

BTW, I suspect that Partsman1 was joking with you on the date thing. No one here would be that big a jerk, unless they, themselves are perfect. I've yet to meet anyone like that.

Bob
bobinyelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartist View Post
Hi Navy Man Mac,

I would suggest that you contact the Company in Indiana, you should have their phone number. You should not be having these issues. Also look for another dealership that carries OR. We have had problems but not like this. Here is a number of a person who might be able to help you.
Ryan 918-720-7008 he is a rep for Open Range.
Rob
Cartist, Thank you for the info, I will call Ryan and find out what will come of it. We are in a rather tight corner. The company offers to fix our issues, But thats it. Not willing to return our money or replace this limon with another. This is a position I HATE !! because unless an Attorney picks this up and we can arbitrate with O/R, Then we will end up continuing to do the Marry-Go- Round thing We do not feel safe going any distance, Hence what good is it owning an RV you can't travel anywhere because of the continued problems.
I mentioned before that the we traveled to Southern Calif to the area called Manifee. Our FIRST BODY/FRAME separation made us take the RV into an O/R Authorized dealer. They took a look at the RV and told us they didn't have experance in the area of B/F Separations and for us to return it back to Oregon to the dealer we purchased it from. The " TECHS " that have worked on our RV in Sandy, Oregon are a little fuzzy at properly fixing our problems.
And they always screw something up when fixing the damnd issue that sent us into them in the first place.
Go figure that out!! ........ This is sooooo hard on the two of us as we always come away from the dealer pissed off and discouraged . Thanks again for all the input from you folks.