Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2013, 12:01 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I haven't looked at the new Traditions in person, but the Tradition replaced the Select Suites as the entry level DRV 5th wheel, which was the point of my post. If they've decontented the Tradition relative to the Select Suites, I'm not aware of it simply because I have no interest in the product.

Rusty
I understand what you were saying and I was thinking that some people may think that the Tradition was equal to the old Select Suites which IMO it does not (sorry to say).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #16

On the DRV web site you can easily compare the 3 DRV levels of trailers. You may be able to option a Tradition to get closer to a Mobile Suits, or option a Mobile Suites to get closer to an Elite Suites.

Even though the Tradition is the DRV entry level it is still a nice unit.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
On the DRV web site you can easily compare the 3 DRV levels of trailers. You may be able to option a Tradition to get closer to a Mobile Suits, or option a Mobile Suites to get closer to an Elite Suites.

Even though the Tradition is the DRV entry level it is still a nice unit.
IMO they took a step backward from the Select Suites.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #18

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Have you considered a used late model Carriage OR a new Lifestyle? Phillip
jdpm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #19

Actually, I just purchased a new 2012 Cameo F37RSQ last month. Great quality, great floorplan, great price, and I plan to keep it for awhile. Thanks for all the input here.
Pigdoc
Old 03-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #20

Congrats!!! I bet you will really like that rig.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #21

I have begun putting together a comparison spreadsheet with several different manufacturers on it. It is based on the information available on the manufacturers websites. The tradition isn't in the chart because I wasn't considering it. You need to throw the Lifestyles into the mix because it fits into these categories. I wanted to know $ for $ what was I getting. I am looking for a fulltime coach over 38 feet. weight is no concern because i tow with a class 8 truck. Quality, floorplan and usability are my primary concerns. I am finding the most value comes from buying Gently used. Basically you save about $20K by stepping away from the mobile suites. More over the new horizons. It really boils down to how easily you are separated from your money. You can get a great coach that will serve you for years. You might find that you need the status symbology that comes with DRV or new horizons. Most come with 12" frame. I don't own oil stock so new horizons isn't even being considered.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #22

Lostsoul - can you tell us which 5ers you are considering? Excel, DRV, and Lifestyle?
Old 03-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #23

I haven't looked at the excel models until just now. I notice they have a great CCC. I was leaning toward mobile suites because of the 3.25" walls and the overall quality but, since I am trying to get the most out of my dollars I don't know that DRV is a wise choice. They are gorgeous but expensive. I really like the lifestyles. I think they bring a lot of Carriage with them. Redwood is really nice but I don't have them on my chart yet so I can't make a real comparison. So far Montana seems to be a great value. Dutchmen I have ruled out due to the 10" frame on the big coaches. I really like most of the cedar creek rear entertainment model but I'm concerned about storage space in the kitchen and bedroom. All of them have pros and cons. Honestly, I am leaning more toward a used DRV or Lifestyles. Something newer than 2009 that hasn't been lived in. I am seeing a $20K savings over quoted prices for new. I probably don't need to tell you guys but never pay even close to MSRP. I was quoted $104K on a $144K loaded DRV and about $80K on a loaded Montana. They were both with generators. Actually, when the chubby chic yodels I will probably mount my generator on my tow vehicle to save storage space in the trailer and to run it off diesel rather than propane. I carry a plethora of fuel, 250 gallons. Propane is for showers and cooking.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #24

How about under $60k for a new 2012 Carriage Cameo? Still a few available.
Pigdoc
Old 03-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostsoul View Post
I haven't looked at the excel models until just now. I notice they have a great CCC. I was leaning toward mobile suites because of the 3.25" walls and the overall quality but, since I am trying to get the most out of my dollars I don't know that DRV is a wise choice. They are gorgeous but expensive. I really like the lifestyles. I think they bring a lot of Carriage with them. Redwood is really nice but I don't have them on my chart yet so I can't make a real comparison. So far Montana seems to be a great value. Dutchmen I have ruled out due to the 10" frame on the big coaches. I really like most of the cedar creek rear entertainment model but I'm concerned about storage space in the kitchen and bedroom. All of them have pros and cons. Honestly, I am leaning more toward a used DRV or Lifestyles. Something newer than 2009 that hasn't been lived in. I am seeing a $20K savings over quoted prices for new. I probably don't need to tell you guys but never pay even close to MSRP. I was quoted $104K on a $144K loaded DRV and about $80K on a loaded Montana. They were both with generators. Actually, when the chubby chic yodels I will probably mount my generator on my tow vehicle to save storage space in the trailer and to run it off diesel rather than propane. I carry a plethora of fuel, 250 gallons. Propane is for showers and cooking.
As a owner of a 2012 Cedar Creek 36RE, I can assure that space is no problem. We (wife and me ) FT and we fit everything needed and have room to spare. We do watch though! Our Onan generator takes up most of our front storage also in that front storage I have a second LP rack that I carry two extra 30 lb LP tanks (total of 4). Kitchen and bedroom storage - let assure again space is no problem. As for $ I think that my cost of 62 was about right! 2 ac units, king bed w/ Trump mattress, auto leveling, 13.3 cu inch 4 door reefer unit, plus 5500 generator, cost also included them adding a B&W companion hitch. Had trade worth 10 g's but base price I had them at 53.

DRV and Lifestyles are very nice, for us money was an object so we bought what we think is a very fine 5th wheel not a DRV, Lifestyles, Excel, or New Horizon, but something just as good with a little less Bling as a Redwood or even a Landmark as per build spec's IMO
Old 03-17-2013, 07:03 AM   #26

Not sure what I see in the Trilogy but I like that unit. I have seen MSRP at 107k and selling price just under 70k. For some reason I like Trilogy over Redwood.

I guess the real separator in 5ers are 10" frames, 12" frames then fully boxed frames as well as 6,000 7,000 and 8,000 lb. axles.

There is a new Excel dealer that is 6 hrs. away. A DRV dealer 3 hrs. away and a Montana dealer 25 minutes away...ugh
Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
I have been living in my Heartland Landmark for about a year and a half now and love it. You might want to throw them into your spreadsheet for comparison. They are warranted for full time use, have a 2/5 warranty aand the great Heartland Owners forum that is free to join for lots and lots of information.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:03 AM   #28

Landmark is in the sheet. I had one quoted fully loaded. I really like it, especially because they proclaim it is for fulltime use. Trilogy is a nice unit, well appointed and cedar creek. So lets throw out the high dollar units from this conversation (DRV and New Horizons) and focus on the reasonably priced units. After all, what any of us want is a coach we can be comfortable in, satisfied with and proud of.

On my sheet I tried to come up with a list of options required for fulltime where you wanted to spend some time boon docking or at least not limited to parks. I also included necessary luxuries that enhanced the coach for appearance or comfort. The goal was to compare apples to apples to determine the "bang for the buck". I would like to do some clean up on my spreadsheet and share it with you, get your feedback and improve it. Actual dollar comparisons are more difficult because actual price and MSRP are so far away from each other.

Tags
excel