Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I found a 2009 Newmar Mountain Air 5th wheel at Mt Comfort RV in Indiana. You can kinda see the dually tires on the two axles. I think 2009 is the last year Newmar built 5th wheels. Asking price for this 2009 is 80k.

Last year in Florida there was one in the park where I stayed. They are really heavy 5ers. The guy had an F-550 with a fancy hauler bed. The truck was painted to match the 5er. It was the coolest rig in the park.

Not sure I would want dually tires. 8 tires on a 5er is a lot to worry about.
Newmar was still building 5th wheels in 2009,they stopped production last yr.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 PM   #44

Thor Owners Club
Appreciated the input on Excel as that is a great product and something now to consider vs the Designer. Both have nice interiors just comes down to the nuts and bolts of quality build. Any input on Designer vs Excel appreciated. Thanks Jim
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #45

They are both good! all depends how much you want to spend.If you have a deep pocket $ go with Excel.If not well Jayco will fit your budget better.Have a friend that owned a Designer and was happy with it.He stepped up to a Mobile Suites,but not because he was unhappy with the Jayco.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #46

Texas Boomers Club
We owned two Designers before our current Mobile Suites - a 1996 3030RKSS and a 2000 3610 RLTS. Both were good, solid 5th wheels that we really enjoyed, and Jayco's customer support and 2+3 warranty are tops. Having said that, the Designers are in a different $$$$ ballpark from the Excels, DRVs and other full-time 5th wheels.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:46 AM   #47

After doing this RVing stuff for over 40 years, I am convinced the best way to obtain an RV without going to the poor house is buy used. I would much rather have a top line lightly used rig than a similarly priced, but new, cheaper unit. It will pay off in the end. Less depreciation, better quality, fewer problems and better living.

Keep Excel, Nuwa, Carriage all in your headlights and shoot for two years old.

Bob
Old 03-19-2013, 01:01 PM   #48

Thor Owners Club
I would have to agree there is quite a bit of savings if you go "used". Our last one was new and I thought would be the last but we want more room & better quality so taking time now to do more in depth review of construction. & some of the used units have had W/D, gen, other installs which save you money also.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #49

Texas Boomers Club
I don't know about buying used. Let me explain; everyone knows that a dealer will usually knock off 25-30% off a new trailer. So a list price $100,000 trailer can be bought for somewhere around $75-80,000. That same trailer, in two years, will be on a lot for about $70,000, and they are not as likely to discount their used unit as much so which would you rather have? There's only $5- 10,000 difference in a two year old trailer. I know I'm gonna be flamed by someone's uncle's brother in law that bought a like new (pick a brand) for $25,000.

There aren't many "wholesale" dealers for used units. They are posted for sale with a given price. There isn't as much leverage for the consumer on a used trailer.

Then there's warranty. With a new unit you will have at least one year (sometime two) of warranty that pretty well covers everything. Again, please don't flame me with stories of warranty horrors, I'm just generalizing. Many used units are bought As-Is with an offer for an aftermarket warranty. Again, I am not taking into consideration the guys that are handy and can do their own repairs.

Then there's financing, assuming you don't have that much money in a bank account, waiting to be spent, banks generally charge a higher interest rate for used trailers and a shorter term on the loan.

I'm just throwing this out for consideration.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #50

JayC - you do make a good point. Seems the new price discount gets sweeter if you find a left over unit from the previous model year.

I tried to low ball (10k to 15k off asking price) on used units and the dealer would not sell. Seems 5k to 7k off on the asking price is about the best you can do - not 15k off.

So is a 2009 Newmar Mountain Air asking price 80k probably will sell for 73k still better than a new 2013 Trilogy I can buy for 70k.

I can get 8.75% a used unit and 35% off a new unit.

Also proves used units probaly have slowed down depreciation.

One unit I am looking at, just keeping an eye on it, still has the same asking price as it did 2 years ago.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 PM   #51

Thor Owners Club
Good Sam's was at 4.62 % on used in the 50k area. One other company I spoke with was slightly less. Good Sam wants 10% down. I think the best deal might come from private seller as dealers usually pick up these units even on trades for wholesale prices and then try and sell them with 20-30% margins. Keeping that in mind, I negotiate wholesale / wholesale in the slowest time of the year as they need to keep cash flowing to pay bills. I have never checked out these "after market" warranty companies. Good Sam has one and I am a member but have not heard if it is worth it or not to purchase the maintenance program.

Tags
excel