Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #15
M2D

Thank you to all,

I agree with Rusty. The shows we have gone to in Boston and Springfield, MA have no high end fifth wheels for the potential owner to see. So we cannot compare the quality units with the average and below average.

To see some of the high quality units I will have to seek out used models. I am starting to wonder if there is any sense to our driving two hours to Springfield and two hours home again to see the show.

I am just hoping that maybe a high quality trailer will show up or I might meet someone who owns one.

Thanks,

Michele

Also, I see "a funny" in my thread. I assume that you all know that I was referring to the age of the fiver and not the age of the buyer!
M2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #16

I agree that most of the new stuff is close to all the same as Jack has mentioned. When we went from a pusher back to a 5th we wanted to go with a used higher end unit, thinking a better rig that someone else had taken the first hit.

We shopped and shopped. Even drove 1,500 miles to look at a unit and found that both the owner and PPL had mis-represented the rig.

We ended up buying a new Montana. Why. Unless you go with Excel, New Horizions, Doubletree, they are all just about the same.

Yes, we replaced the cheep China tires. Added the Mor/ryde X factor and so far has been usable for us. It does not have some things like double pane windows, full body paint, gen set. It does have a 12" frame, 6 point jacks, rubber pin box, solid wood cabinets, solid surface counters, dual a/c. It also has cheep carpet, decals that will probably peel, no heat pumps and the stigma it was made by Keystone.

But was priced right.

Jim
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #17

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
35 years
Old 02-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #18

Our Teton has lots of standard home appliances. Amana fridge, moem faucets, GE Dishwasher, Standard King bed, all solid oak cabinets with none of the cheap latches (locks are made into design), slide out floors are insulated same as walls. Slides are sealed very well. We have had some rather strong wind here this winter and no air leaks, period. Most of lighting is 110 volt. There are some 12v small lights. Can't buy a new Teton but there are some very nice units out there and can be bought for less than the ekhart units flooded on the market.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:10 PM   #19

I should add, we had a 2006 DRV and it was a quality coach. But it doesn't even compare to a Teton. Did I say we like our Teton. lol
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 02-05-2014, 01:08 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
You've got to determine the depreciated value and what it will cost to upgrade the tired appliances such as TV, dvd/blueray, satellite, HWT, and save a contingency to replace the fridge, tires, brakes. All used, unless exceptionally cared for will need a good service of roof seal & calking. As others have said fix your budget and just keep walking away until you find a unit you can buy and do all the upgrades and stay on budget.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:12 PM   #21

I would like to add one other consideration. Used trailers motor homes etc in excess of 10 years old, a bank will not lend on. That fact results in older units not selling because most need to finance a large purchase. There are many very nice 10year old units available because of this and they are reasonably priced because of reduced competition.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R. Haller View Post
I would like to add one other consideration. Used trailers motor homes etc in excess of 10 years old, a bank will not lend on. That fact results in older units not selling because most need to finance a large purchase. There are many very nice 10year old units available because of this and they are reasonably priced because of reduced competition.
-Paul R. Haller-
This is not totally true. I financed my 2003 thru my Credit Union. The board had to approve it. We do have a good relations with them though.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generally, I'd look for a high end used unit in the 2 to 5 year old range, but would not rule out a bit older unit.

Rusty is spot on about the "better built" higher end full time units. They are heavier for a reason...solid wood cabinets, not vinyl over particle board,
17.5" H rated tires
heavier axles and larger brakes,
thicker carpet with a pad
heavier frame, a rectangular box section stacked and not a thin 12" I beam,
metal or porcelain sinks, not plastic,
plywood roof and floor decking, not OSB.
better quality furniture,
better leveling system and automatic leveling now.

A lot of the people that build a entry or mid price unit claim tho have a high end full time unit. It is really built just like the lesser cost unit with a liberal coating of lipstick applied. Lots of fancy patterns, gold plated plastic faucets, thin tubs and showers, cheap tires...

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #24

Michele, I sent you a PM relative to this thread...
Old 02-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
If I had it to do over again, I will never ever buy another new RV (learned this with boats 30 years ago). There are many RV's of every class and price range out there where the previous owner had to have the new and improved model, and is willing to take the beat down. That's what it is, a beat down of the highest degree. I like the earlier post, decide your price range, and work backwards from new.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #26

Folks,
I'm new to this game. Could you give me some names of good quality units. Thanks
Jbillysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Full-time units"
DRV (Mobile/Elite Suites)
Excel
Lifestyle

Higher end yet...
New Horizons
Spacecreaft
Custom Coach

Some that claim to be full time units but skimp on the frame:
Cardinal
Redwood
Landmark/Big Horn
Cedar Creek

The list is based on my observations over the past 30 years with RVs.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2D View Post
Thank you to all,

I agree with Rusty. The shows we have gone to in Boston and Springfield, MA have no high end fifth wheels for the potential owner to see. So we cannot compare the quality units with the average and below average.

To see some of the high quality units I will have to seek out used models. I am starting to wonder if there is any sense to our driving two hours to Springfield and two hours home again to see the show.

I am just hoping that maybe a high quality trailer will show up or I might meet someone who owns one.

Thanks,

Michele

Also, I see "a funny" in my thread. I assume that you all know that I was referring to the age of the fiver and not the age of the buyer!
Michele

We did 4 trips over 6 hours plus round trip. The final trip we drove was round trip over eight hours and 520 miles to Little Rock Ar from Henderson, TX. I figured we drove over well 1500 miles plus looking at 5th wheels and endless hour research online. We figure out the brands we wanted and then the floor plans we wanted and Carriage was a well built unit. We bought a 2011 Carriage Cameo CKSLS37 great home for traveling. Almost had every thing we wanted. I'M glad we found it because the next stop was Knoxville TN almost 800 mile and 11 hours away. Also there someone that has a 1996 Carriage that been traveling since 1996 I think, I was impressed with that.
After figuring the companies we would buy, we missed on a DVR, which was in Austin TX. The drive was okay but getting there and found out they didn't hold it was maddening. We decided on used RV figured more bangs for our bucks.
My point(or rambling) is we decided it was worth all the time since we where going to live F/T. Figured which brands where great built and then the floor plan. We looked and studied all the ones mentioned above. Lot of mass produced 5th wheels where junk, frame was important to us.

Sorry so darn long..

Tags
purchase, quality