Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Order new or buy gently used and make changes?

So... here's the conundrum... we are on the verge of buying- the timing is almost right, we have narrowed to two models, we have been researching and asking questions here and other forums (thanks for all your answers!) and have gotten great advice and input.

I am pretty confident about how to make a relatively good deal for a purchase off the dealer's lot if we choose to buy there instead of private but I had a question now that I have not seen asked or answered. At the risk of starting a co flick, I just have to ask;

If we consider ordering a new unit, I can get exactly what I want. How much of a discount could I negotiate in a purchase of an new, ordered-per-my-specs from the factory (within reason!) fifth wheel? Any ideas based on your experiences?

Related to that, I am wondering if those of you who bought your rig new wished you had bought used and those of you who bought used wish you ordered what you wanted instead of worrying about mods?

Waiting to hear,

Lindsay

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2017, 10:39 PM   #2

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It really depends on how much cash you have in your pocket. I live by an old addage to never borrow money for a toy. Our MH is a toy and we saved until we could afford it. JMHO.
Happy Glamping.
Ps. No we don't have a "line of credit " that is the same as borrowing.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Used. As close to you wants as possible. Use it awhile as is before modification.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:02 PM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
It really depends on how much cash you have in your pocket. I live by an old addage to never borrow money for a toy. Our MH is a toy and we saved until we could afford it. JMHO.
Happy Glamping.
Imagine you have the funds to go either way depending on the model... which would you do? Buy used that doesn't fit and mod? Or buy new and get it set up just as you wish from the beginning?

And, if you order from a dealer, what kind of discount could you negotiate?

:-)

Lindsay
Old 08-19-2017, 11:07 PM   #5

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
It's always nice to have new with a warranty. But you will take a big hit in depreciation.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #6

We bought our current trailer used realizing it had a major design flaw relative to dining and tables; it was just plain silly. We consider it a challenge to find creative solutions to problems like this and find that the finished product is more tailored to how we use the trailer. Many things the manufacturer included that we would have never considered or made our wish list but we appreciate them all the same. The 50 grand we saved over new MSRP on a 5 year old unit that had never been used makes it really worthwhile.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:43 AM   #7

Buying used has always been better financially BUT you have to look until you FIND the right one. Not easy and dealing with dealer will drive you crazy. Just found daughter 2011 Honda Odyssey 22000 miles owned by elderly guy for $16000 less than new. Buying a new RV takes a similar depreciation. When you find the deal you have to act fast as there are many people looking for deals.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #8

I'm interested in this question, too. There's always the possibility to get a leftover model from last year or the one before, the dealer is happy to get off his lot. That's what I'll be looking for although things supposed to be moving ought to be moving as they say.
I've heard 2/3 of the MRSP is a good ballpark number to work with when you buy from a dealer. True?
Old 08-20-2017, 07:35 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Special order new" places you at negotiating disadvantage. You need to make a substantial financial commitment without seeing or walking through the coach.

Buying new off the lot substantially adds to your negotiating position, you can walk through, inspect, barter, etc without actually making a financial commitment until a full agreement is reached.

Knowing dealer markup would help, but this will be difficult to determine, Look at the newest "used" unit you can find that are on the market...

My best advice in negotiating is to not become emotionally involved in the coach. Be serious, be ready to close the deal, but also be ready to walk away.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #10

If you're talking about buying essentially the same trailer either new or a couple of years old, I'm not sure about the answer.

For us, the overwhelming advantage to buying used was to be able to step up to a far higher quality/class 5th wheel than what we could afford new. We wound up with a very lightly used high-end tube-frame 5er for far less $$ than the brand new I-beam frame 5ers we had been looking at (GD Solitudes and Montanas). It was a no-brainer for us.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:53 AM   #11

With cars, I always buy new but then I plan to keep it for 10 or more years so I never take the depreciation "hit".

With a RV/TT/5W the quality is not there to make that consideration, so the consideration should be "what can I get out of it when I sell"? Buying used today and selling used (or trading) in 2 years used will loose you a lot less money than buying new today and selling used (or trading) in 2 years.

Every decision is a compromise, the reason different people make different decisions given the same set of circumstances is because they place different weights on the compromising points.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Happy Glamping.
A "line of credit" is not a loan. It is a statement of how much a financial institution is willing to lend.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #13

Buy the trailer that fits your requirements and your budget regardless of new or used. Part-time vs full-time use will determine how much of an "imperfect" setup you can deal with before "modding".

In our case we have purchased 5 trailers over 25 years...1 used private, 1 used dealer, 1 new leftover model dealer, I factory ordered, 1 RV show special.
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #14

Buying new does not guarantee you will get what you really need/want. Quite often, you won't know what works for you until you live in it.