Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 AM   #1

Ordering From Factory - MSRP Discount?

I know I have asked a lot of questions here but I have another one. If I go into a local dealership and order a new rig to my specifications (not custom) what can I expect to get off the MSRP if anything?

Thank you to all of those who have answered so many of my questions. Hopefully after I get through this I will be able to offer some help to others.
Jhuff8181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #2

Not sure how it works when you order one, but when bought at a dealer you should see ~30% off MSRP. At least that's how much we got off of ours.
al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #3
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
I ordered my coach from the factory through a dealership. Took me a week of haggling to get 28% off true factory MSRP. But I did order a lot of options so I don't know how that impacts the bottom line. At the time, many folks were posting similar results on the RV forums to I was pleased with the deal. Still love my coach and would do the same thing again. Owning a depreciating asset makes no difference to me as the enjoyment offsets any financial losses my heirs might incur.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #4
JDT

When we were shopping two years ago the "discounts" were all over the place. What we found is there are a lot of variables between dealers and manufacturers. Some manufacturers have higher markups so the percentage off will look really good. Some not so much. What we finally did was look at the bottom line and made our comparisons on what we were getting for the price, like the frame and construction and options such as tires, axles, disc brakes, auto level, residential fridge, etc.

If you have singled out what you want I would get bids from a few dealers in your general area and see where they fall.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:48 PM   #5

Biggest issue is dealers sometimes set the MSRP to whatever they want, then even with a big discount you could end up paying more than if you shopped in another state. I find that looking online at the same unit by just googling the model number that you get all kinds of MSRP's. Some have high MSRP's and low prices while the same trailer at another dealership will have a low MSRP but have close to the same price.
So where does one stand?

I found that places like RVdirect or RVWholesalers will give you a pretty good bench mark to work with.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:35 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is the best App for anyone that has an RV of any type. It is not only the App that is great it is also the community of users and the monitoring of postings.
Old 05-11-2014, 01:54 PM   #7

A good dealer will give you the same discount as if you bought one off the lot, actually it can be a little more since they aren't paying inventory costs. On mine, the options had the same discount as the basic unit. When I was ready to place my order, I asked multiple dealers for quotes. I had every option specified and asked for price w/o transport costs. That way I could compare local dealers with large internet dealers. And I could make a separate decision about how to pick up the unit. Others are right, some dealers, even so-called wholesale dealers will jack up their MSRPs to claim a higher discount %.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #8

Owner's forums of the brands you are looking at will sometimes post detailed MSRP price lists. That way you can determine the factory MSRP not a dealers made up MSRP. I don't know why they do that, to me it just makes me feel that it is going to be a difficult negotiation.
Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:53 PM   #9

There's a huge markup in recreational vehicles. And the manufacturers are alway cutting dealers deals if they'll keep the orders coming in where they can keep the factories going 24/7--365 days a year.

In other words, the cost to one dealer may be different to another. In this business, volume purchasing receives great discounts. You're comparing apples to oranges when it comes to wholesale prices to dealers.

The only way to buy a RV is by price shopping and pitting dealer against dealer. If your local dealer is unwilling to deal within reason with a fair price, go to another dealer. It's nice that we have the internet to educate us on who sells what brands, and it's easy to get pricing over the phone.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote