Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
Ordering new RV - advice needed

I'm ordering a new Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 DBSA. An option available is to order the factory installed Reese Revolution pin box (identical to the Sidewinder). With my 6 1/2 foot box, is this really necessary?

mdordahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Excel Owners Club
It isn't necessary if you never forget and turn too sharply. Very expensive if you do forget. Even if you don't want a SuperGlide, there's an instructive video at PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you.

Bill & Deb Karsell
Excel Winslow D28RLW w/ Hydralift and rear camera
2009 Ford F-250 4X4 SRW-SB 6.4L diesel King Ranch Nav & Sync, Pullrite 16K SuperGlide
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:50 PM   #3
I have a short box. It was 1500.00 mistake. Now have a slider hitch.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Originally Posted by mdordahl View Post
I'm ordering a new Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 DBSA. An option available is to order the factory installed Reese Revolution pin box (identical to the Sidewinder). With my 6 1/2 foot box, is this really necessary?
I would look at this option of a pinbox and Sidewinder. Air Ride Sidewinder Fifth Wheel Pin Box by Fifth Airborne

I have a sliding hitch and so I installed the Trailair pinbox on my 5er to eliminate chucking. We had an extreme amount of chucking on some of the interstates, as we towed back east last year. My DW got a extreme headache in West Virginal last year, so I installed one in the fall. It did help tremendously when we pull up to Door County in WI.
Since you are asking about just adding the sidewinder go all the way and be better of for it.
Just my humble opinion and $0.02

Jim W.
Jim & Jill
Sold: 2010 318SAB Cougar:New: 2016 Cedar Creek 34RL. 2008 Dodge 6.7LCummins the original 6.7L engine, w/68RFE Auto
jimcumminsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I only had short bed trucks and never a problem. I do have a slider hitch but not used it on the new fiver only a couple of times with the old fiver. I think you will find the Jaco is made for short bed trucks. I am sure if you try hard enought you can hit the truck with the fiver. Our Carriage would really have have to be in a very sharp turn to do it.
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
If you are anything like me it is amazing how on every trip I forget at least one thing. With my Pullrite I won't have to worry about forgetting not to turn sharply. I have done some near 90 backups and love the hitch. I've rigged up a winch in my garage and can have the hitch in or out in 10 minutes.
Dave & Robin
2006 Sierra 2500 HD Crew Cab
2008 Fleetwood Prowler 235RL
Chemtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
Get the Revolution (i.e. Sidewinder) as a factory installed option. If you are getting a good discount off MSRP, this is such cheap insurance and it works without any thought or effort on your part.

I personally have used short bed trucks since 1989, back when manual sliders, auto sliders, the Sidewinder or notched fiver caps had not even been developed. Now I have a manual slider that I never use. So, none of these improvements are required if you are careful. But again, the factory installed Revolution is such an inexpensive option and it also offers a small improvement in turning and backing characteristics. Maintenance is minimal, less than a manual or auto slider. Pivots out of the way when not in use and also pivots for hookup at sharp angles.

Larry Day, Texas Baptist Men volunteer
'13 Silverado LT 3500HD D/A CCSB 2wd, custom RKI bed
'11 Crossroads Cruiser 32MK loaded
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote