Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbeek View Post
6.7 mileage is not as good as earlier Cummins. Check it out
I will check on that.
Now witch dually 4x4 it's better Chevy, Ford or Dodge

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #16

At this point they are basically which do you like the most. (If you are looking at new. ) They will all make you smile when you pull.
I switched from my GMC buying to Ford because I like the layout of the interior better. Power is all about the same (new).

Old 06-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I towed for two years, but only a few hundred miles per year white knuckled. Once I decided to tow further distances I got a bigger truck. How much easier to tow...wow.

From my obsevation anyone towing for 5 years or more usually had a dually. Kess than 5 years could have a SRW truck.
SRW for 20 years and been very satisfied. Just upgraded to 18" wheels and the ride has been great. Glad I did because the tires take the bumps well and smooth. Mostly for comfort and cost I choosed SRWs.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:34 AM   #18

We made the switch from a SRW to a DRW because we bought more 5er than we had truck for (5er Price was right and DW liked it, nuff said !)

Love the DRW, rides better and much more stable when towing than our previous SRW. Yep you have to watch out for the LARGE HIPS on the DRW and sometimes parking can be a problem but since we move every 2 or 3 weeks, it made sense and works for us.

We went looking at DRW trucks last summer and found our current truck, got a great deal and did not have to finance it. Not having to finance it was the most important as we want to stay debt free. Now we should be set for a TV for many years to come!
Rob_Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #19

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
At this point they are basically which do you like the most. (If you are looking at new. ) They will all make you smile when you pull.
I switched from my GMC buying to Ford because I like the layout of the interior better. Power is all about the same (new).
Power is not the same.
The new Ram 3500 HD will tow 30'000 lbs, its a beast of a truck. I love my F350 KR but I may have to switch. Dealers have limited supply.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #20

I've got a 3500 ram dually coming very soon, and can't wait to tow with it.. Still love my '01 2500 Cummins and will keep as well.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
IF you compare apples to apples the towing capabilities between the 'big 3' are virtually the same , so get what u like !

Weigh or research the gvwr and pin weight on the Alfa and plan accordingly. As long as ur gcwr , rawr , and gvwr are not exceeded you will be good . and IMHO if u over buy the truck too much u r wasting resources and convenience .

if u never have to garage your truck then a dually will work for you

I'll put the ease of towing of my srw with rear sway bar up against any drw ...

And many of the weight police would have a cow based on their rules even though my numbers, handling, stopping, etc are good :-)

Good luck.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #22

Thanks everybody, I just want to make sure that I don't buy to much of a truck and put my money in extra "muscle" that I don't need, do you guys think that I can pull my 31' Alfa FW with a SWD?
Old 06-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #23
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursu din Bv. View Post
Thanks everybody, I just want to make sure that I don't buy to much of a truck and put my money in extra "muscle" that I don't need, do you guys think that I can pull my 31' Alfa FW with a SWD?
Yes you can "Pull' it with a SWD. In fact you can pull it with a 3/4T. Think of it this way. You can get a 3/4T, 1T SWD and a 1T Dually with about the same engine, gears and tires. They just won't handle the same. I towed our 28'TT with a 3/4t Dodge and then with our current 1T dually. I had no idea how much better the 1T DWD would handle until after I used it. I won't go back.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Ursu din Bv,
If the GVWR of the 5er is 12,000# or over, I would suggest you go with a dually, the towing is so much easier, and the cost of the truck isn't that much more. Also if you decide to get a bigger unit down the road, you won't have to get a bigger truck.

to JohnBoyToo,
Have you ever towed with a dually that is loaded near the GVWR? You may like your swr, but it is nowhere near as stable in crosswinds or on curves as a DWR and it doesn't matter how big a sway bar is on it.

Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursu din Bv. View Post
So we decided to go with a fifth wheel instead of MH from many reasons, but that doesn't matter.
We are happy with our decision (for now) so this is what we got 2002 Alfa Sun SF31RLIK.
P.S. We still have to buy the truck to pull with.

Attachment 40317
I loved those Alfa's. I almost bought one around 2005. I had made up my mind that when I bought a 5th wheel, it was going to be an Alfa. Fast Forward to 2012, no Alfa. I was very sad to discover that they had gone out of business. I loved the concept of the basement AC, the front cap that opens, and a lot of other unique features. Congratulations on a nice looking rig.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post

I'll put the ease of towing of my srw with rear sway bar up against any drw ...
My opinion of course.....
Had a SRW SB now have DRW LB. ....so I park on the end now, would not go back.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42 AM   #27

I love my 5th wheel on the highway. Passing thru towns and tight campgrounds, not so much. It's just huge and very high, so you have to watch out for everything - I find that very stressful - but I had the same stress with motorhomes.

Stability with the 3/4 ton SWR is not an issue - don't really know what these guys are refering to on being more "stable" with a dually. It's much more important to not be overloaded, but with a 31 footer, your pin weight is probably OK for any 3/4 ton. 18 wheelers fly by me and I don't feel a thing. I did get the air ride pin, which makes a huge difference in smoothness of the ride. The 5th wheel is definately the most relaxed traveling experience I've ever had - and I've owned from DP's to tag-alongs. My tag-long is second best, as it has 16" wheels and is relatively compact and low.

From my last experience at the beach though, I think my 5th wheel is relegated to my work housing duties. I have a lot more "fun" when vacationing in my tag-along. It's just easier to deal with in all respects and leaves time to enjoy the activities at the destination.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #28

Thanks everybody it will still be a hard decision, DRW or SRW ?